Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
Re: A word of caution -- school visits etiquette [#permalink]
backliteyes wrote:
To be fair, I went to a class visit where we were encouraged to participate, so maybe that might be excusable if someone didn't know that a particular school or a particular instructor would not welcome visitor participation.

The cell phone though...no excuse. Should have had it thoroughly silenced.

I would say that unless you're specifically encouraged (which was in your case), the etiquette is to not participate. I would even venture to say you shouldn't participate even if you are encouraged by the professor since s/he may not know what admissions would think is appropriate. If you raise your hand in class and one of the students complains to admissions I don't think it'll be too good for the candidate. If you sit still, nothing will happen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Thanks for the reminder.

My Tuck visit is in a few weeks, and I'd love to hear more tips on the do's and don'ts of school visits.

Any other, maybe less obvious, suggestions?
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
cwhs wrote:
I would say that unless you're specifically encouraged (which was in your case), the etiquette is to not participate.

Of course. I'm just pointing out that someone that's new to the process of applying to b-school and b-school visits could reasonably not know this. I think it's a reasonable mistake someone could make and it shouldn't be unduly held against them. Ideally whatever expectations are in play should be explained to visitors beforehand.

cwhs wrote:
I would even venture to say you shouldn't participate even if you are encouraged by the professor since s/he may not know what admissions would think is appropriate. If you raise your hand in class and one of the students complains to admissions I don't think it'll be too good for the candidate. If you sit still, nothing will happen.

None of that is a visitor's fault. If admissions wants instructors to not allow visitors to participate that's something the school needs to work out internally and the expectations should be explained to visitors. If a visitor gets caught in the crossfire between admissions and faculty that reflects poorly on the school and how they deal with class visits, not the visitors themselves.

Also, if a student complains to admissions because a visitor (probably accidentally) committed a breach of etiquette and actually goes to the trouble of personally identifying them in order to damage their chances should they apply...I'm going to go out on a limb and call that person a jerk.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a current student at Anderson and I would add:

-Don't play on your phone during class. People notice and it's rude.

-When you introduce yourself, say that you're happy to be there or thank the class for allowing you to visit. Don't say you're here to evaluate the school or to see if it's right for you. That's implicit and saying it makes you sound like a jerk.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hmm. I travelled halfway around the world to visit a handful of schools, and I don't think it's out of place for me to say that I was very interested in the program and am here to see it for myself and if it's the right place. Anyhow, done with my visits, so I can look ahead now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
faro wrote:
Thanks for the reminder.

My Tuck visit is in a few weeks, and I'd love to hear more tips on the do's and don'ts of school visits.

Any other, maybe less obvious, suggestions?

Sure... Dress well. Since this is the recruiting period there will be lots of people dressed in suits, you may end up blending in better. I must confess I didn't follow that advice myself last year, but I now think the candidates that are dressed better look more serious about the process. That being said, I don't think that dressing casually affects you negatively at all, I'm just making a personal observation.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
I think it's common sense not to participate in class (and past experience says 99% of people know this). As a visitor, you have no context of the history of the class or even that day's case. Not to mention, most classes have a participation component, so there really isn't any time to be getting perspectives opinions given they're like 8 of them in class every day. Even if you are asked, you just risk sticking your foot in your mouth.

I once had a girl that raised her hand and challenged the professor...and this was in an economics class, so what he said was a fact, not an opinion. Then, when the student host went to bring everyone back to admissions, she asked to stay so that she could speak with the professor. Don't do this.

So, two lessons, (1) keep your mouth shut lest you look like an idiot and (2) you do whatever your student host tells you to do. Remember that you are a visitor.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Great thread, and a lot of this is also relevant to admit weekends. In general, the more combative and self important you seem, the worse you will come off. You are constantly being evaluated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Good tips all around here. We get tons of visitors each day in our classes and a couple really stood out. One guy played on the phone the entire time (yes, finance is boring but at least feign interest) and one guy actually stepped out of the classroom to take a call in the middle of class. We had our admissions rep give them some feedback on behalf of the class. The reality is that no one in our class is evaluating you for admissions but if you don't have the self awareness in this sort of environment, things probably aren't going to go well for you as a general rule.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Agreed with the above, don't participate unless you're specifically called on. And even then, just keep it short. And please stand up when introducing yourself.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos