GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 01:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

how much to study to go from 440 to 700+ ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
how much to study to go from 440 to 700+ ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 13:07
hello everyone,

I gave my gmat in March 2016 and scored a meagre 440 probably coz i didn't prepared enough and wasn't enough serious about it .

Now i have been thinking of giving it again .

Can someone plz advice me how much should i prepare and from where should i prepare and in what direction like which part to start from.?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HBS '19, CBS '19
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.94
Re: how much to study to go from 440 to 700+ ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 16:50
vidurkatyalji wrote:
hello everyone,

I gave my gmat in March 2016 and scored a meagre 440 probably coz i didn't prepared enough and wasn't enough serious about it .

Now i have been thinking of giving it again .

Can someone plz advice me how much should i prepare and from where should i prepare and in what direction like which part to start from.?

Hello vidurkatyalji,

The first time I took the GMAT, I scored 590 (Q44,V27). I was quite upset but not surprised. In fact, I studied only for 3 weeks and barely touched the verbal part. I only used the official guides and felt that I could score above the 700 score bar. I was wrong! To be honest, while the Official Guides provide with a good practice, don't hope to score above 650 if you only use these. Very few questions are 700+ level, and the theoretical part is not that good.

The second time I took the GMAT, I scored 690 (Q50,V34). That time, I mainly focused on the Manhattan Prep books (6 Quantitative, and 3 Verbal Books) and really found the Quant part to be more than enough for the GMAT. In fact, reading these will give you all you need to score above Q46 in the Quant part.
Regarding the verbal part, I think that as a non-native speaker, it's hard to get above V40. I recommend that you do as many problems as possible in order to improve your reading speed in Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension Questions. That way, you'll develop a strategy that is unique to you. I have a very good practice for you. I'll attach a link to this post.
For the Sentence Correction part, people say that the Manhattan Sentence Correction Book is the best on the market. I agree that it is a good book, but believe that without enough practice from outside sources, it's not possible to score in the 85th percentile. I'll also attach a very good practice to this post.

Also, I recommend that you take one full practice exam per week. You have to develop the speed and stamina, and nothing is better than to practice weekly to do so.

Below are the links for the critical reasoning and sentence correction practice. These are GOLD especially that they mainly come from GMATPrep questions, which are retired GMAT questions. Don't forget to give souvik101990 and carcass Kudos for providing us with these documents.
the-most-comprehensive-collection-of-everything-official-cr-140375.html
sentence-correction-oldy-but-goldy-question-banks-212199.html#p1634093

If you need any more practice for SC, RC, PS, or/and DS, hit me up.

Good luck towards a great GMAT score!

Best,
MoulayAbdesslam

--
Need Kudos

If you find this post hepful, please press +1 Kudos

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 23:20
Hi vidurkatyalji,

Since you took the GMAT over 6 months ago, if you have not done any studying since then, it's possible that your skills have faded. Thus, it would help if you take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), so that we can get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. Once you have that score result, you should post back here.

Raising a score from 440 to 700+ will take some serious work. You will have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and all of that work will likely take at least 3 months of consistent, guided study. You would also likely benefit from investing in a GMAT Course of some type.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 23:07
Hi vidurkatyalji

It looks like you need a study plan that you can stick to. Here is a customized 2-3 month study plan that can help boost your score: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Use this as a guideline. You don’t have to follow it exactly but the structure of the study plan should be the same structure that you take in your approach. This helps to optimize your retention and learning.

As you study, we recommend that you focus on one particular subsection for multiple consecutive days before moving onto the next. You can see this in our study plan where we recommend 5 days on nothing but SC -- before moving onto CR and then RC.

Here is a sample SC video to help you start your journey: http://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

Best of luck - we are here to help.
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 02:33
Hi vidurkatyalji,

From your question I understand you have 3 problems viz. What to study, from where to study and when to study. Below two possible solutions can solve this problem for you.

So, if you are good at planning things, have a decent amount of self control,then go for self study to improve your score.For this I would recommend you to buy the complete set of Manhattan books and follow them religiously by creating a timeplan of your own or following any of the tumeplans mentioned in gmatclub forums. The timeplans from gmatclub would be very helpful for you.

The other thing which you can do is just register for online preparation course at either eGMAT or Veritas or Manhattan or MAgoosh. These courses will guide your learning step by step through online video courses. They also provide you with a timeplan that you can follow. some of them provide few tests as well.

You can choose self study or online preparation depending on your strength and weakness.

The online preparation is a bit more costly than the self study. Rest is up to you.
Re: how much to study to go from 440 to 700+ ? &nbs [#permalink] 03 Mar 2017, 02:33

how much to study to go from 440 to 700+ ?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap