It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 02:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to become a Hedge Fund Analyst?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
How to become a Hedge Fund Analyst? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 18:51
I'm looking at schools right now. My guess is I will get into a school in the top 10-20 range and if Im really lucky maybe Northwestern or Columbia. i work in marketing/customer service in the healthcare industry. The two jobs Ive been considering post MBA are hedge fund analyst or consultant in entertainment and media. Im leaning towards Hedge fund analyst as I feel that there is a high turnover in consulting.

I will be applying in Round 1 in october. What are the steps I can take to help me prepare for a job as a hedge fund analyst. Is there anything I can do between now and finishing an MBA that will help prepare me? Thanks
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.18
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge
Re: How to become a Hedge Fund Analyst? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 20:26
Greekmythology wrote:
I'm looking at schools right now. My guess is I will get into a school in the top 10-20 range and if Im really lucky maybe Northwestern or Columbia. i work in marketing/customer service in the healthcare industry. The two jobs Ive been considering post MBA are hedge fund analyst or consultant in entertainment and media. Im leaning towards Hedge fund analyst as I feel that there is a high turnover in consulting.

I will be applying in Round 1 in october. What are the steps I can take to help me prepare for a job as a hedge fund analyst. Is there anything I can do between now and finishing an MBA that will help prepare me? Thanks

CFA and CAIA designations if you are really serious. I'd also dump Northwestern and focus on Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Wharton.

"Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his GMAT level?!" -Nappa

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 20:38
Let's say I don't get into Columbia. Would you go to Cornell next as its near NYC?
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 21:00
The schools in applying to this fall are the schools most effective at placing into those kind of jobs. I'm looking to exit business school possibly as a hedge fund analyst as well.

Posted from my mobile device

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2015, 22:00
Great. You'll have an internship lined up for me then right?

Seriously, thanks for the info.

Also, how long did you take to go from 680 to a 760? I need to improve in math and verbal but mostly math.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2015, 04:18
Greekmythology wrote:
What are the steps I can take to help me prepare for a job as a hedge fund analyst. Is there anything I can do between now and finishing an MBA that will help prepare me? Thanks

Start investing (preferably with real money, but a mock portfolio is better than nothing). Coming from a marketing background, you will have to try harder than other applicants to prove that you know your stuff. Best of luck to you.
Current Student
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 14:41
Greekmythology wrote:
Great. You'll have an internship lined up for me then right?

Seriously, thanks for the info.

Also, how long did you take to go from 680 to a 760? I need to improve in math and verbal but mostly math.

It took me a month to go from 680 to 760 but obviously that could be shorter or longer for you. I did work my butt off during that period. Personally, I think that the verbal section is easier but harder to master. But, once mastered, it becomes easy as pie. The quant section I find to be the exact opposite. It is always a challenge, even if you are hitting 51.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 19:57
SilverBull wrote:

CFA and CAIA designations if you are really serious. I'd also dump Northwestern and focus on Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Wharton.

You can probably add MIT to that Mix or LBS if you want to do the Europe route. I work in Investment Banking and it's hard to crack the Financial Industry without experience. I suggest start taking classes on modelling and financial analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: How to become a Hedge Fund Analyst?   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2015, 19:57

How to become a Hedge Fund Analyst?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap