Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1729 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: How to compensate for a 6 years of unemployment [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi ssalunke, this is Kate from mbaMission. I can't speak much to the PhD side, but for MBA admissions, work experience is quite important and most successful applicants have 4-5 years of full-time work when applying. So no matter how you spin / justify it, you're going to have a weakness in that area.

I think what that means is that you have to nail every other component of the application. For example...you must have a high GMAT (probably 20-30 points above a school's average), stellar recommendation letters, community involvement or other non-work interests you pursue passionately, a compelling reason and story to explain your goals and why MBA, and standout essays. This is doable if you put in the effort, and I have seen others overcome similar challenges in their applications.

If you are seeking scholarship too, then you'll want to keep a broad list of target schools.

As far as how to justify the unemployment, I think the reasons you offered here make sense. Write an extra (optional) essay addressing it and be transparent and factual. Do not try to overstate or hide things. Admissions will appreciate honesty and what you learned from setbacks. Do make sure you are showing enough evidence that you kept busy during this time and had some achievements. Admissions wants to see that even if you face setbacks, you are someone who finds a way to move forward and stay productive, whether that is research, freelancing, learning new skills, etc.

Hope that helps!
Kate

ssalunke wrote:
Hi,

I graduated in Spring 2014 with MS in Mechanical Engineering after I dropped out of PhD.
I have co-authored 4 research papers and worked as a research assistant and teaching assistant at the university.
I have not worked anywhere since.
I searched for a job in USA, but the offers I got were not satisfactory and the ones I was waiting for didn't go in my favor. Eventually I had to return to India in 2015.
I was travelling for an year.
In 2016, I started teaching at a local coaching institute on a part time basis while I was preparing for Government job exams, but have not succeeded in any. (missing by close margins like 0.3 or 1 is also a failure in the end.)

Basically, I have NO industrial experience at all and have not worked with a group larger than 8.

If I wish to apply for PhD in Management(Finance, Operations or Strategy) or MBA with a full or partial tuition fees waiver / funding, how should I justify my 6 years of unemployment since graduation?

and, please suggest the schools as well which could offer funding if GMAT score is 730+
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi this is Kate from mbaMission. I can't speak much to the PhD side, but for MBA admissions, work experience is quite important and most successful applicants have 4-5 years of full-time work when applying. So no matter how you spin / justify it, you're going to have a weakness in that area.

I think what that means is that you have to nail every other component of the application. For example...you must have a high GMAT (probably 20-30 points above a school's average), stellar recommendation letters, community involvement or other non-work interests you pursue passionately, a compelling reason and story to explain your goals and why MBA, and standout essays. This is doable if you put in the effort, and I have seen others overcome similar challenges in their applications.

If you are seeking scholarship too, then you'll want to keep a broad list of target schools.

As far as how to justify the unemployment, I think the reasons you offered here make sense. Write an extra (optional) essay addressing it and be transparent and factual. Do not try to overstate or hide things. Admissions will appreciate honesty and what you learned from setbacks. Do make sure you are showing enough evidence that you kept busy during this time and had some achievements. Admissions wants to see that even if you face setbacks, you are someone who finds a way to move forward and stay productive, whether that is research, freelancing, learning new skills, etc.

Hope that helps!
Kate

ssalunke wrote:
Hi,

I graduated in Spring 2014 with MS in Mechanical Engineering after I dropped out of PhD.
I have co-authored 4 research papers and worked as a research assistant and teaching assistant at the university.
I searched for a job in USA, but the offers I got were not satisfactory and the ones I was waiting for didn't go in my favor. Eventually I had to return to India in 2015.
In 2016, I started teaching at a local coaching institute on a part time basis while I was preparing for Government job exams, but have not succeeded in any. (missing by close margins like 0.3 or 1 is also a failure in the end.)

Basically, I have NO industrial experience at all and have not worked with a group larger than 8.

If I wish to apply for PhD in Management(Finance, Operations or Strategy) or MBA with a full or partial tuition fees waiver / funding, how should I justify my 6 years of unemployment since graduation?

and, please suggest the schools as well which could offer funding if GMAT score is 730+

Thanks a lot for clearing my doubt.
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Happy to help -- good luck!

ssalunke wrote:
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi this is Kate from mbaMission. I can't speak much to the PhD side, but for MBA admissions, work experience is quite important and most successful applicants have 4-5 years of full-time work when applying. So no matter how you spin / justify it, you're going to have a weakness in that area.

Hope that helps!
Kate

ssalunke wrote:
Hi,

Thanks a lot for clearing my doubt.
Moderator:
1452 posts