Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 17:25 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: How to cross 650 and reach the mid 700s in 40 days [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi nanya18,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) On what date did you take your 1st Official GMAT and what were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for that attempt?
2) How long have you studied in total? Over the last month, how many hours have you been studying each week?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
nanya18 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I have taken the GMAT once in the past and scored 650. I have started preparing again (its been one month) and have been studying using multiple resources but I have been unable to cross the 650 mark in my last three mocks (Experts Global)

1. I have done all the quant modules from TTP and am in the process of completing the chapter tests.
2. I have used Powerscore CR Bible which helped me breakdown the question type and how to think about the questions
3. I have watched GMAT ninja videos for SC/CR
4. I have also used Manhattan prep - first few chapters from SC and am also taking up SC modules from TTP, which I think are very helpful.
5. I had taken up Crack verbal coaching in the early stages of my last paper, but found it to be just okay.

I have done OG questions in the past and used a lot of the GMAT Club resources as well. But clearly I'm going wrong somewhere.
My quant range in my recent papers is between 45-47 and my verbal range is between 33-35. I'm trying to identify my problem areas and work on them to bring up my quant to the 50s and my verbal to the 40s. However, every mock points me to a different direction to work on which makes me believe that most of the work I've put in has been able to get me to a certain threshold but not take me beyond it.

I have 40 days left to my next GMAT attempt and I really want to cross the 700 mark for starters and then move to the mid-700s.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for your time

Hi nanya18

For scoring 700 and above, you need to get the easy medium questions right as GMAT test is adaptive in nature. You can afford making mistakes only in the latter half of the Section, not in the beginning. You have to make the GMAT algorithm serve you difficult questions and get them right. For that, being conceptually clear on all topics is really vital. Not only this, you have to be good with application of concepts because GMAT is a test of application of concepts.

As evident from your score breakup, you have a good command over Quant, just a bit more methodical application of concept would help you get a Q50.

For example, for Quant, identifying your weaker areas and working your weaker areas should ideally get you a score of 49/50. For this, you need to have a strong understanding of the concepts and also use the right methodology to solve the questions. The good thing about GMAT quant is it tests only specific types of questions from each topic. Knowing how to solve those types of questions will help you solidify your learning and score well on GMAT quant. If you are struggling with any particular topic, you can share with me for help.

However, there is still room for improvement in case of Verbal. Your verbal score indicates that you are good enough with one of the 3 modules (SC, CR and RC) and need to work on the other two. (This is general case. There can be chances that you are average in two and very bad in the other one. I need to know your weak areas first.) You should consider identifying the weaker module and turn it into your strength by learning the right methodologies to ace your verbal prep.

A lot of students spend a lot of time studying from various resources but see little to no improvement. One of the major reasons is that they fail to identify the gaps in the preparation. The resources that you have mentioned above are all great ones. However, the biggest problem with them is that they are all static courses which means you need to start studying from scratch and complete everything and while doing so you may not get an additional input on where you need to improve. So, using these courses to do well in the exam in a short time will be an uphill task.

I have recently helped a couple of students improve their score by 110 points and 130 points in about 40 days. They were in a similar situation as yours. If you want to know the details, we can connect over a call/dm.
GMAT Club Bot