It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 10:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to get a pre-MBA consulting internship

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How to get a pre-MBA consulting internship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 20:52
Hi everyone,

I am starting MBA this fall(most likely at Darden),and I am very interested in Management Consulting Post MBA.However,I do not have any real consulting experience,so I was looking at the possibility of a Pre-MBA internship in consulting. I am not really how realistic my plan is,as not many big firms have a formal Pre-MBA internship program,so I doubt if they would be open to the possibility.Anyone has any pointers on a good strategy for this?Should I target only boutique consulting firms?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: How to get a pre-MBA consulting internship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 22:13
Your best bet is to come to Poets&Quants' Pre-MBA Networking Festival in NYC in May. There you will meet McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Deloitte, A.T. Kearney, Accenture and other leading MBA employers. If you want a head start on the process, this is the place to go. Check it out under events on our home page and register before all the sessions are filled:

We are also about to run a story on pre-MBA internships at Poets&Quants. Most of the organizations that do these internships will be posting their dates for deadlines, etc., in early April. Watch out for that.

Hope to see you at our Pre-MBA Networking Fest!

Best,
John

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Imperial (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: How to get a pre-MBA consulting internship [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 14:16
Do what you would do once you start your MBA - reach out to people who work in consulting firms that you are interested in, ask them to meet for coffee, enquire what it takes to get into their firm and mention that you are keen to do an internship pre-MBA. If they are smart, they will like your pro-activeness and find you an opportunity in their firm. If there is no opportunity, you have now built a rapport that can at least give you a head start once you do start your MBA.

Don't get bogged down by formal processes in consulting firms, there is almost always a way around these so called formalities. What is the worst that will happen - the person you are meeting will tell you they cannot help you. Try someone else.
Boutique firms are of course better because of lesser formalities, but the important thing is to try in larger and smaller firms nevertheless.

Don't forget - this is what you should ideally start doing since first day in MBA anyway if you are keen on consulting, you might as well start the process early.

Hope that helps.

Imperial College MBA | Online Entrepreneur | Podcaster | Product Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How to get a pre-MBA consulting internship   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2017, 14:16

How to get a pre-MBA consulting internship

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap