It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 10:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 11:48
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Dear All,

I have been studying for GMAT using the OG and the Magoosh Premium GMAT subscription since 3 weeks. I had got 430 (Q22, V27) in my diagnostic test i.e. GMAT PREP TEST 1. Now, after 3 weeks of study i am standing at 510 (Q32, V28) in the same GMAT PREP TEST 1. My goal score is 700. But somehow I feel demotivated with the slow growth. I have nearly one month left for my test day which is 7th November. Kindly suggest which techniques or strategies do i need to change.

PS: I have completed around 150 PS questions in OG and 150 PS questions in Magoosh and around 30 SC, CR & RC questions in both OG and Magoosh.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Magoosh Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Posts: 63

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 138

Schools: AGSM '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 11:53
Its too ambitious of a goal. I would suggest to postpone the exam by another 3 weeks atleast.

Finish off the basics first in next 15 days, then solve OG for another 15 days and keep the last 15 days for full length mocks and revision.

Cant think of a more time crunched study plan than this but these are my 2 cents here.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 138

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 11:56
AndyDufresne wrote:
Its too ambitious of a goal. I would suggest to postpone the exam by another 3 weeks atleast.

Finish off the basics first in next 15 days, then solve OG for another 15 days and keep the last 15 days for full length mocks and revision.

Cant think of a more time crunched study plan than this but these are my 2 cents here.

Wouldn't it be too late if I postpone until end of November if I am targeting for Fall 2018?

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10412

Kudos [?]: 3697 [0], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 11:57
Hi ishitagohil,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you've been studying for just 3 weeks, you should not expect to have mastered any concepts just yet. Unfortunately, retaking a CAT that you've already taken almost always leads to an unrealistic, 'inflated' score result. As such, we cannot assume that this 510 is an accurate assessment of your current skills. A November 7th Test Date is approximately 6 weeks away, but that's probably not going to be enough time for you to get up to the '700 level.' This is meant to say that you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3697 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 12:00
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ishitagohil,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since you've been studying for just 3 weeks, you should not expect to have mastered any concepts just yet. Unfortunately, retaking a CAT that you've already taken almost always leads to an unrealistic, 'inflated' score result. As such, we cannot assume that this 510 is an accurate assessment of your current skills. A November 7th Test Date is approximately 6 weeks away, but that's probably not going to be enough time for you to get up to the '700 level.' This is meant to say that you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I am planning for Fall 2018. Wouldn't it be too late to shift the GMAT test date further?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 10412

Kudos [?]: 3697 [0], given: 173

Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 12:52
Hi ishitagohil,

Most Business/Grad School Programs offer multiple Application Rounds - so there are likely application deadlines that exist into early 2018 (for Fall 2018) that you could apply for. By putting together a list of specific Schools/Programs that interest you, you can then research each option in more detail (and determine exactly when you would need to have your application(s) ready). This information can also help you to define how long you can study for the GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3697 [0], given: 173

Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 956

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 12:53
ishitagohil wrote:
Dear All,

I have been studying for GMAT using the OG and the Magoosh Premium GMAT subscription since 3 weeks. I had got 430 (Q22, V27) in my diagnostic test i.e. GMAT PREP TEST 1. Now, after 3 weeks of study i am standing at 510 (Q32, V28) in the same GMAT PREP TEST 1. My goal score is 700. But somehow I feel demotivated with the slow growth. I have nearly one month left for my test day which is 7th November. Kindly suggest which techniques or strategies do i need to change.

PS: I have completed around 150 PS questions in OG and 150 PS questions in Magoosh and around 30 SC, CR & RC questions in both OG and Magoosh.


If your target score is 700 and you're at 510 level right now then in realistic conditions 30 days are not really enough to achieve 700.

Why don't you think of whether to go for the test or reshedule it around 25-29 Oct? This way you would be able to give the exam more time and test your scores with CATs.

It would also depend if you're a working professional or studying full time.

If you take exam by 30Nov then you have 2 months from NOW. This timeframe also would demand not just hours of study but right plan, discipline, dedication, practice, review, CATs etc.

First thing first - Without your target score deadlines don't matter much.

Stay motivated, You can certainly do it.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 18:06
HKD1710 wrote:
ishitagohil wrote:
Dear All,

I have been studying for GMAT using the OG and the Magoosh Premium GMAT subscription since 3 weeks. I had got 430 (Q22, V27) in my diagnostic test i.e. GMAT PREP TEST 1. Now, after 3 weeks of study i am standing at 510 (Q32, V28) in the same GMAT PREP TEST 1. My goal score is 700. But somehow I feel demotivated with the slow growth. I have nearly one month left for my test day which is 7th November. Kindly suggest which techniques or strategies do i need to change.

PS: I have completed around 150 PS questions in OG and 150 PS questions in Magoosh and around 30 SC, CR & RC questions in both OG and Magoosh.


If your target score is 700 and you're at 510 level right now then in realistic conditions 30 days are not really enough to achieve 700.

Why don't you think of whether to go for the test or reshedule it around 25-29 Oct? This way you would be able to give the exam more time and test your scores with CATs.

It would also depend if you're a working professional or studying full time.

If you take exam by 30Nov then you have 2 months from NOW. This timeframe also would demand not just hours of study but right plan, discipline, dedication, practice, review, CATs etc.

First thing first - Without your target score deadlines don't matter much.

Stay motivated, You can certainly do it.

Thanks, I am a working professional who works full time for a bank. I can spare a total of maximum 4 hrs during the weekdays. And do you mean rescheduling the test at the end of October or November?

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Moderator
avatar
D
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 956

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 22:46
ishitagohil wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
ishitagohil wrote:
Dear All,

I have been studying for GMAT using the OG and the Magoosh Premium GMAT subscription since 3 weeks. I had got 430 (Q22, V27) in my diagnostic test i.e. GMAT PREP TEST 1. Now, after 3 weeks of study i am standing at 510 (Q32, V28) in the same GMAT PREP TEST 1. My goal score is 700. But somehow I feel demotivated with the slow growth. I have nearly one month left for my test day which is 7th November. Kindly suggest which techniques or strategies do i need to change.

PS: I have completed around 150 PS questions in OG and 150 PS questions in Magoosh and around 30 SC, CR & RC questions in both OG and Magoosh.


If your target score is 700 and you're at 510 level right now then in realistic conditions 30 days are not really enough to achieve 700.

Why don't you think of whether to go for the test or reshedule it around 25-29 Oct? This way you would be able to give the exam more time and test your scores with CATs.

It would also depend if you're a working professional or studying full time.

If you take exam by 30Nov then you have 2 months from NOW. This timeframe also would demand not just hours of study but right plan, discipline, dedication, practice, review, CATs etc.

First thing first - Without your target score deadlines don't matter much.

Stay motivated, You can certainly do it.

Thanks, I am a working professional who works full time for a bank. I can spare a total of maximum 4 hrs during the weekdays. And do you mean rescheduling the test at the end of October or November?

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Here is what i meant about the dates:

Current test date - 7 Nov

Decide whether to take the test or reschedule - In between 25-30 Oct

If you're scoring in CATs near/above to the target score (Consistently)then take test on - 7-Nov

If you're scoring in CATs below your target score (Consistently) then reschedule to - 30-Nov

Reschedule to 30th Nov only when you have improved enough from 510.. say 600-650 atleast. Otherwise choose end of december to take the test.


Do not be in hurry or in any pressure of deadlines. This impacts the study seriously.

It is important to have a healthy mind to succeed in GMAT.

Please let me know if not clear.
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 23:38
HKD1710 wrote:
ishitagohil wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
[quote="ishitagohil"]Dear All,

I have been studying for GMAT using the OG and the Magoosh Premium GMAT subscription since 3 weeks. I had got 430 (Q22, V27) in my diagnostic test i.e. GMAT PREP TEST 1. Now, after 3 weeks of study i am standing at 510 (Q32, V28) in the same GMAT PREP TEST 1. My goal score is 700. But somehow I feel demotivated with the slow growth. I have nearly one month left for my test day which is 7th November. Kindly suggest which techniques or strategies do i need to change.

PS: I have completed around 150 PS questions in OG and 150 PS questions in Magoosh and around 30 SC, CR & RC questions in both OG and Magoosh.


If your target score is 700 and you're at 510 level right now then in realistic conditions 30 days are not really enough to achieve 700.

Why don't you think of whether to go for the test or reshedule it around 25-29 Oct? This way you would be able to give the exam more time and test your scores with CATs.

It would also depend if you're a working professional or studying full time.

If you take exam by 30Nov then you have 2 months from NOW. This timeframe also would demand not just hours of study but right plan, discipline, dedication, practice, review, CATs etc.

First thing first - Without your target score deadlines don't matter much.

Stay motivated, You can certainly do it.

Thanks, I am a working professional who works full time for a bank. I can spare a total of maximum 4 hrs during the weekdays. And do you mean rescheduling the test at the end of October or November?

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Here is what i meant about the dates:

Current test date - 7 Nov

Decide whether to take the test or reschedule - In between 25-30 Oct

If you're scoring in CATs near/above to the target score (Consistently)then take test on - 7-Nov

If you're scoring in CATs below your target score (Consistently) then reschedule to - 30-Nov

Reschedule to 30th Nov only when you have improved enough from 510.. say 600-650 atleast. Otherwise choose end of december to take the test.


Do not be in hurry or in any pressure of deadlines. This impacts the study seriously.

It is important to have a healthy mind to succeed in GMAT.

Please let me know if not clear.[/quote]
Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2017
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 00:28
It’s possible to get any grade in a month (and a month and 3 weeks - even more so). In general, the optimal amount of time to study for the GMAT is 6–8 weeks, or more accurately 100 to 120 hours spread however which way - provided you study right. But what does ‘studying right’ mean? The mistake many people make is substituting quantity for quality. Many people study more than this (3–4 months) but this isn’t necessarily better - if we study too long we can start to forget what we learnt in the beginning.

I suggest starting off with making yourself a study plan, consisting of these steps:

Familiarize yourself with the exam – What is the test structure? What are the formats of the questions?
Focus extra practice time on your areas of weakness – What matters is getting to the correct solution, fast: the problem is that just solving lots of questions (with practice tests or coaching) is not sufficient in terms of improving mental flexibility. Actually, the opposite is true. Solving thousands of questions without improving your mind’s flexibility will only cement the wrong thinking patterns.
Train yourself to find YOUR best solution approach to answering GMAT questions – The GMAT measures your ability to flex your mind. There is often more than one way to get to the correct answer - the trick is figuring out which is that way that is FASTEST for you.
Researching your errors is even more important than solving new questions – Which tools am I using betters than others? What are the main reasons for my mistakes? Which other tools should I learn to apply better? And when it comes to verbal questions, it is also crucial to analyze the answers: why is the correct answer correct? What is wrong with the wrong answers?
Practice test should be used as tools for improvement, not just to see “where I stand,” which means that you should allow 4 hours of research for every test, and not take two tests in one day, one after another, so as to allow yourself some time to strengthen your weaknesses and prepare for your next opportunity to improve.
As you still have a month to go, you might want to consider trying online computer assisted customized learning. What does this mean? Instead of reproducing the teacher-in-a-classroom experience online, a site like this uses personalized machine learning to bring the best out of each student. By monitoring thousands of other students who are tackling the same question as you, the site can provide you with the approaches that proved most efficient for each given question.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 21:18
HKD1710 wrote:
ishitagohil wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
[quote="ishitagohil"]Dear All,

I have been studying for GMAT using the OG and the Magoosh Premium GMAT subscription since 3 weeks. I had got 430 (Q22, V27) in my diagnostic test i.e. GMAT PREP TEST 1. Now, after 3 weeks of study i am standing at 510 (Q32, V28) in the same GMAT PREP TEST 1. My goal score is 700. But somehow I feel demotivated with the slow growth. I have nearly one month left for my test day which is 7th November. Kindly suggest which techniques or strategies do i need to change.

PS: I have completed around 150 PS questions in OG and 150 PS questions in Magoosh and around 30 SC, CR & RC questions in both OG and Magoosh.


If your target score is 700 and you're at 510 level right now then in realistic conditions 30 days are not really enough to achieve 700.

Why don't you think of whether to go for the test or reshedule it around 25-29 Oct? This way you would be able to give the exam more time and test your scores with CATs.

It would also depend if you're a working professional or studying full time.

If you take exam by 30Nov then you have 2 months from NOW. This timeframe also would demand not just hours of study but right plan, discipline, dedication, practice, review, CATs etc.

First thing first - Without your target score deadlines don't matter much.

Stay motivated, You can certainly do it.

Thanks, I am a working professional who works full time for a bank. I can spare a total of maximum 4 hrs during the weekdays. And do you mean rescheduling the test at the end of October or November?

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Here is what i meant about the dates:

Current test date - 7 Nov

Decide whether to take the test or reschedule - In between 25-30 Oct

If you're scoring in CATs near/above to the target score (Consistently)then take test on - 7-Nov

If you're scoring in CATs below your target score (Consistently) then reschedule to - 30-Nov

Reschedule to 30th Nov only when you have improved enough from 510.. say 600-650 atleast. Otherwise choose end of december to take the test.


Do not be in hurry or in any pressure of deadlines. This impacts the study seriously.

It is important to have a healthy mind to succeed in GMAT.

Please let me know if not clear.[/quote]

Hi,

I am in a similar kind of situation. I scored 600 in my first attempt (Q44 V30) and will be taking my second attempt by 7th Nov. My target score is in the same range ( 700s). Could you suggest how can I improve ?

Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 21:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

how to improve from 510 to 700 in a month

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.