Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Concentration: Economics, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V40
WE:Asset Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1922 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: How to optimise time and preparation 1month before exam? [#permalink]
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
hsin281 - Assuming you are aiming to score in the 700 range, I belive you need more than a month's time to increase your score from a 500-level. However unfortunate, it is highly unlikely that you can make 200 points gain in a month. Please let us know what pratice test you took that fetched you a 500 score (GMAT Prep or unofficial sources). Meanwhile, I recommend you to check GMAT Club's Study Plan.

it was official mock, im aim 700 thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
hsin281 wrote:
Hello guys,
After studying for 4months from Magoosh, TTP, I gave a mock and got a shocking score of 500(q38 v20) I was unable to complete both sections (didn't get to see 5 questions in q and 7 in v). Untimed I am able to solve most questions in og in both sections. Considering I have a month before my exam, how should I go about my preparation?

Posted from my mobile device

What score are you targetting? If it's 150+ then better reschedule. If not,

find out your worst areas, and work on them. Read questions carefully and make sure you archive 90% accuracy in it.

Most importantly, with my experience, be extra careful in the first 10 questions, don't make any mistake (take your time), and in the next 10 questions you can afford to spend some time but be time cautious. last questions just speed it up. I have seen if your first 10 questions have 80-90% accuracy, your score most probably fall in 600+. Experiment and see you score. Remember to read questions calmly.

All the best!

Best,
Avinash
Found helpful? Please click the kudos button.
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you so much, I wasn't able to focus on the question at hand and was thinking of the previous question. Your advice really nailed it

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
How to optimise time and preparation 1month before exam? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hm.... in the past four months have you taken any practice tests or quizzes that would indicate the level of your progress or performance?

Current Student
Send PM
I took the quizzes on both Magoosh and TTP and met TTPs required accuracy for each topic.
Thank you for helping me bb

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22056 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hsin281,

I see you have been using TTP. Can you tell me how much of the course you've completed?
Current Student
Send PM
Hey Scott glad to hear from you, I have completed the learning phase and given official gmat practice exam 1in which I scored q37

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hsin281,

To start, to score at a high level on the GMAT, you have to have a variety of skills (more than just content knowledge) and the only way to properly assess whether you have those skills or not is to take FULL-LENGTH CATs under realistic conditions AND at regular intervals. Going forward, you should plan to take a FULL CAT (in a manner that matches-up with what you will face when you take the Official GMAT) every 1-2 weeks. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort though - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week though.

Statistically-speaking, raising a 500 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. While I understand that you probably really want to take the GMAT in 1 month, if you ultimately "need" a 700+ to apply, then THAT Score Goal has to come first - and you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date and adjusting your application plans.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the two courses that you mentioned?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hsin281,

To start, to score at a high level on the GMAT, you have to have a variety of skills (more than just content knowledge) and the only way to properly assess whether you have those skills or not is to take FULL-LENGTH CATs under realistic conditions AND at regular intervals. Going forward, you should plan to take a FULL CAT (in a manner that matches-up with what you will face when you take the Official GMAT) every 1-2 weeks. The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort though - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically should not take more than 1 CAT per week though.

Statistically-speaking, raising a 500 to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. While I understand that you probably really want to take the GMAT in 1 month, if you ultimately "need" a 700+ to apply, then THAT Score Goal has to come first - and you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date and adjusting your application plans.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the two courses that you mentioned?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hello Rich,
i study 3 to 4 hours a day each week
I have completed OG 2019
Planning to apply in R2 to Ivey
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
hsin281 wrote:
Hello guys,
After studying for 4months from Magoosh, TTP, I gave a mock and got a shocking score of 500(q38 v20) I was unable to complete both sections (didn't get to see 5 questions in q and 7 in v). Untimed I am able to solve most questions in og in both sections. Considering I have a month before my exam, how should I go about my preparation?

Hi hsin281,

I think the problem lies in the way of preparation. OG questions can be relatively easy compared to the official questions. The best way to prepare is to
  • Learn the concepts
  • Learn the right methodology (most important)
  • Take sectional quizzes for every topic
  • Work on the weaker areas
  • Once you are done with all the topics, start taking mocks at regular intervals

This is the step-by-step process you need to follow to ensure that you tick all the boxes of preparation. As you see, the second step is the most important one. Make sure you do that right. Ask yourself if you can do all the things mentioned in a month's time. It is definitely possible. There are people who improved their score by 130 points in 40 days. But you should follow a strict study plan with clear deadlines. Unless you can invest 6 hours a day for studies, I recommend you to postpone your exam to a further date. Because there's no point in taking the test when you are not 100% confident.

I just gave you a generic plan. To improve your score to a 700 in a month's time, I would need a few more details. I'll be happy to discuss the same with you over a call. This way we can quickly narrow down things and make a proper study plan. The plan has to be in such a way that it helps you focus on the right parameters. So, if you wish to connect over a call and discuss the strategy, you can do it using the below link. The call is absolutely free!!

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hsin281,

You still have plenty of time before the Round 2 deadline, but you will have to learn and practice some specific Tactics in BOTH sections to hit your Goal Score in the time frame that you have defined.

Since we have just this one CAT result as a reference, it's tough to say how accurately this initial Score reflects your actual 'ability level.' As such, I suggest that you study however you choose for the rest of this week, then take a NEW CAT this weekend. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you're taking your GMAT at a Test Center, then wear a face mask while you take your CAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here (or you can feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might adjust your studies going forward.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hsin281,

You still have plenty of time before the Round 2 deadline, but you will have to learn and practice some specific Tactics in BOTH sections to hit your Goal Score in the time frame that you have defined.

Since we have just this one CAT result as a reference, it's tough to say how accurately this initial Score reflects your actual 'ability level.' As such, I suggest that you study however you choose for the rest of this week, then take a NEW CAT this weekend. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you're taking your GMAT at a Test Center, then wear a face mask while you take your CAT, etc.). Once you have that score, you should report back here (or you can feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might adjust your studies going forward.

Rich

Hello Rich, I gave 4 veritas CAT and 1 official CAT:
November 4 560 42 25
November 6 620 46 29
November 8 590 40 31
November 12 640 43 35
November 14 660 44 37 official
I then took the GMAT online exam and scored a 600 (44Q 27V). I dont understand the huge difference in my verbal score please help

Originally posted by atomicskull on 08 Dec 2020, 01:38.
Last edited by atomicskull on 08 Dec 2020, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Might help to stick with Official Material only
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi atomicskull,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot