GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

How to Stay calm during exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
How to Stay calm during exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 20:43
Hi,

I get very restless while solving questions. Last night i screwed my gmat prep cat juat because i was getting restless. I was literally unable to read properly.
If this is the situation while giving a mock, only god knows what amount of pressure is there while writing the real deal.
Please suggest ways to remain calm. I committed so many careless mistakes as a result of restlessness.
Awaiting a quick response.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: How to Stay calm during exam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 21:41
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi,

I get very restless while solving questions. Last night i screwed my gmat prep cat juat because i was getting restless. I was literally unable to read properly.
If this is the situation while giving a mock, only god knows what amount of pressure is there while writing the real deal.
Please suggest ways to remain calm. I committed so many careless mistakes as a result of restlessness.

Hi,

First don't try to take the exam at night. Select a realistic time for taking the mock CAT's i.e most preferably at a time when you book your actual gmat :)

Second no points are awarded for completing the exam fast. What is the need to be so restless?
Take deep breaths. Focus on that target score.

Take sectional tests first and then focus on a full length mock.

If you think you are wasting too much time on a question then just skip and focus on the others. Write down things on your scratch pad and practice for the exam with timing, I think these should help

Regards,
HK
BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 22:19
Thank you kakashi sensie (btw i am a great naruto fan) ;)
Coming back to the issue at hand; i will make sure to give the exam at realistic time. If i feel restless at any given point of time i will make sure to take deep breaths.
Thank you for taking out time and giving wonderful tips.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 22:30
gmatexam439 wrote:

ahh i see :D I like naruto but One piece is love for me ;) and kakashi is cool, hence HK :D

gmatexam439 wrote:
Coming back to the issue at hand; i will make sure to give the exam at realistic time. If i feel restless at any given point of time i will make sure to take deep breaths.

Try and understand what causes the restlessness. I see you are very active here and have lot of kudos. I assume you're preparing hard to ace do well on the GMAT don't let this problem of yours destroy everything you've been trying so hard for.. Learn from naruto ;) ( meditate at the sage mountain :p )
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2018, 22:52
gmatexam439

Welcome to real battle :-)

Couple of posts I found useful were this
this
and this

One of my favorite debrief comes from my very dear friend pikolo2510 here
who scored better in real exam than mocks because of self belief. Another nice video with not so cool animations is here

Bottom line: I know amount of hard work put in, but deceiving your mind that this shall be just another day in life
shall hold key to your success.

Few of cool apps I found useful are headspace, aware and insight timer.

generis, an ideal post for you to chip in ;)

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 01:00
Hatakekakashi wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

ahh i see :D I like naruto but One piece is love for me ;) and kakashi is cool, hence HK :D

gmatexam439 wrote:

Try and understand what causes the restlessness. I see you are very active here and have lot of kudos. I assume you're preparing hard to ace do well on the GMAT don't let this problem of yours destroy everything you've been trying so hard for.. Learn from naruto ;) ( meditate at the sage mountain :p )

Actually I am trying hard to keep faith in myself. I am trying to stay cool but at the time of giving exam I was thinking "what I will do if a get a good score"; "what will happen once i go overseas"; "what will happen if I don't get the expected results". And in between all this excitement/nervousness/dumb thinking I couldn't concentrate on the questions in front of me and ruined the exam.

I don't know I am getting very restless nowdays. The exam date is still a month from now BUT damn, I really was punched out cold by GMAT.

This has made me more nervous. I was expecting a rocking score because all the questions were medium/high level but I just made MANY silly mistakes. I was thinking something and selecting something else entirely.

I am afraid now !!

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:

BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2018, 01:17
adkikani wrote:
gmatexam439

Welcome to real battle :-)

Couple of posts I found useful were this
this
and this

One of my favorite debrief comes from my very dear friend pikolo2510 here
who scored better in real exam than mocks because of self belief. Another nice video with not so cool animations is here

Bottom line: I know amount of hard work put in, but deceiving your mind that this shall be just another day in life
shall hold key to your success.

Few of cool apps I found useful are headspace, aware and insight timer.

generis, an ideal post for you to chip in ;)

Hi Sire,

Indeed the real battle has just begun.

I was so fully immersed in thoughts/my dreams while giving the mock that I didn't realise I was screwing my mock.

I was thinking something and marking something else. I just don't want to screw my exam. I really am afraid of GMAT now.

I went through the above posts and I am planning to do meditation for about 2 mins before the exam and 5 minutes on a daily basis.

I am just hoping for the best !!

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:

Originally posted by gmatexam439 on 26 Feb 2018, 01:14.
Last edited by gmatexam439 on 26 Feb 2018, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 01:17
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi,

Bro, Don't worry its just a small exam..
Firstly as pointed out by someone, don't take exam at late night. No point of taking exams at such a time when actual exam will take place in daylight.
Also during night u r totally tired and liable to do mistakes in hurry.
What u need to do is take sound sleep a day before exam and take exam on ur holiday with a relaxed mind. you will perform much better and it will improve your confidence also.
The more you score, the more confident you will become. What is the use of stretching yourself uselessly and frustrating yourself with low scores.

In fact in real exam there is no pressure. Questions are relatively easier esp. in Quant and you should do slowly and with a sharp focus.
Regarding your thoughts of overseas or MBA colleges coming in mind, you needa good sound sleep and some meditation or exercise .. That's it.. Don't panic. and don't keep impossible targets.

CAT 2017 99th percentiler : VA 97.27 | DI-LR 96.84 | QA 98.04 | OA 98.95
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".

BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 07:25
shashankism wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi,

Firstly as pointed out by someone, don't take exam at late night. No point of taking exams at such a time when actual exam will take place in daylight.
What u need to do is take sound sleep a day before exam and take exam on ur holiday with a relaxed mind. you will perform much better and it will improve your confidence also.
The more you score, the more confident you will become. What is the use of stretching yourself uselessly and frustrating yourself with low scores.

In fact in real exam there is no pressure. Questions are relatively easier esp. in Quant and you should do slowly and with a sharp focus.
Regarding your thoughts of overseas or MBA colleges coming in mind, you needa good sound sleep and some meditation or exercise .. That's it.. Don't panic. and don't keep impossible targets.

Hello Sire,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. It's just that I am fortunate I went through all of this before the real exam.

I will make changes in my schedule and try to focus in a better way. Your comments are very appreciated.

Quote:
don't keep impossible targets

Nothing is impossible sire; Even impossible says i - m - possible !! ;)

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 08:36
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi,

YAY! take a lunch break before exam :) have some wine, go out for camping, do you like fishing ? :) fishing is another way of meditating:) have some nice picnic party with friends in the nature :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 09:24
dave13 wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi,

YAY! take a lunch break before exam :) have some wine, go out for camping, do you like fishing ? :) fishing is another way of meditating:) have some nice picnic party with friends in the nature :)

Unfortunately I am a vegetarian :-D
Though I am watching a movie right now ;) --Batman vs Superman :-D

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:

Director
Director
P
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 01:45
gmatexam439 wrote:
shashankism wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi,

Hello Sire,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. It's just that I am fortunate I went through all of this before the real exam.

I will make changes in my schedule and try to focus in a better way. Your comments are very appreciated.

Quote:
don't keep impossible targets

Nothing is impossible sire; Even impossible says i - m - possible !! ;)

Regards

You are welcome.. We will keep u motivated and u shuld further motivate someone.. That's the meaning of life.. let's rock the GMAT..

CAT 2017 99th percentiler : VA 97.27 | DI-LR 96.84 | QA 98.04 | OA 98.95
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 03:14
This is actually a recap of my earlier response to a similar question on Quora:

What you are actually experiencing is known as "exam anxiety".

I can suggest a few options to help you to relieve it:

1) Learn a simple relaxation sequence. Folks like to call it, a "meditative ritual".

For me, I like to imagine or visualise myself, with eyes closed, taking a slow-moving elevator going downward from the 21st floor [it's arbitrary!] to the ground floor of a building.

As the elevator passes each floor on the downward trip, I imagine or visualise myself watching the light on the elevator button panel changes as it passes each floor level drop.

Observe in your mind the numericals on the button panel as it changes.

Meanwhile, imagine or visualise your entire body feeling progressively relaxed as the elevator moves downward in slo-mo.

At each pass of the floor level drop, imagine or visualise yourself progressively feeling more and more relaxed in your body, until you reach the ground floor.

Imagine or visualise all your stresses disappearing as your hit the ground floor.

Take your time. Don't hurry.

2) Imagine or visualise yourself taking a slow stroll through a tunnel pathway or underpass with the seven rainbow colours, starting with Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, etc..

As you stroll, each step forward makes you feeling progressively more and more relaxed, until you have passed all the seven coloured arches.

3) Imagine or visualise a very tranquil place, which you have actually been to. It can be a park, a lake or a mountain top where you have had visited at some point of your life.

Close your eyes, and put yourself in that place.

Imagine or visualise all the serene sensory impressions of that particular place - sights, sounds, smells, tastes (morning dew, or rain drops, for example), touches, feelings, and movements of your body.

You can do either (1) or (2) or (3) even while sitting in the exam hall, waiting for the invigilators to issue the exam papers on to your desk, or well before the exam takeoff.

If you feel embarrassed, you can always do it initially in the toilet before you enter the exam hall.

Why does such a relaxation sequence works in the real world?

This is because the brain cannot tell the difference between a real experience and an imagined (or reel) experience.

Scientifically, this is the holographic nature of our brains at work (Thanks to the eminent neuroscientist Prof Karl Pribram of Stanford University!).

In the world of competitive sports, like golf and tennis, it's called "mental rehearsal".

By the way, you can combine all three practices into one, by starting with (1), and continuing with (2) and then finally (3). All in all, you should be able to complete it in less than 15 minutes, although the longer it is, the better it is for you.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 07:13
nishagg893 wrote:
This is actually a recap of my earlier response to a similar question on Quora:

What you are actually experiencing is known as "exam anxiety".

I can suggest a few options to help you to relieve it:

1) Learn a simple relaxation sequence. Folks like to call it, a "meditative ritual".

For me, I like to imagine or visualise myself, with eyes closed, taking a slow-moving elevator going downward from the 21st floor [it's arbitrary!] to the ground floor of a building.

As the elevator passes each floor on the downward trip, I imagine or visualise myself watching the light on the elevator button panel changes as it passes each floor level drop.

Observe in your mind the numericals on the button panel as it changes.

Meanwhile, imagine or visualise your entire body feeling progressively relaxed as the elevator moves downward in slo-mo.

At each pass of the floor level drop, imagine or visualise yourself progressively feeling more and more relaxed in your body, until you reach the ground floor.

Imagine or visualise all your stresses disappearing as your hit the ground floor.

Take your time. Don't hurry.

2) Imagine or visualise yourself taking a slow stroll through a tunnel pathway or underpass with the seven rainbow colours, starting with Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, etc..

As you stroll, each step forward makes you feeling progressively more and more relaxed, until you have passed all the seven coloured arches.

3) Imagine or visualise a very tranquil place, which you have actually been to. It can be a park, a lake or a mountain top where you have had visited at some point of your life.

Close your eyes, and put yourself in that place.

Imagine or visualise all the serene sensory impressions of that particular place - sights, sounds, smells, tastes (morning dew, or rain drops, for example), touches, feelings, and movements of your body.

You can do either (1) or (2) or (3) even while sitting in the exam hall, waiting for the invigilators to issue the exam papers on to your desk, or well before the exam takeoff.

If you feel embarrassed, you can always do it initially in the toilet before you enter the exam hall.

Why does such a relaxation sequence works in the real world?

This is because the brain cannot tell the difference between a real experience and an imagined (or reel) experience.

Scientifically, this is the holographic nature of our brains at work (Thanks to the eminent neuroscientist Prof Karl Pribram of Stanford University!).

In the world of competitive sports, like golf and tennis, it's called "mental rehearsal".

By the way, you can combine all three practices into one, by starting with (1), and continuing with (2) and then finally (3). All in all, you should be able to complete it in less than 15 minutes, although the longer it is, the better it is for you.

Wow. I loved point number 1. I will definitely try that.

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 08:35
gmatexam439

That's nice, I thought you would only see highlighted text more appealing!! :lol: :cool:
Quote:

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 11:09
adkikani wrote:
gmatexam439

That's nice, I thought you would only see highlighted text more appealing!! :lol: :cool:
Quote:

hahaha .... no sire .... a good score is necessary for that !! my eyes/mind/soul is solely concentrated on a good score right now. And I am still making MANY silly mistakes. I am afraid that this nervousness would kill me !!

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How to Stay calm during exam &nbs [#permalink] 06 Mar 2018, 11:09

How to Stay calm during exam

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap