It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 08:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How to use GMAT Club Tests [Suggestions]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28469 [4], given: 5105

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
How to use GMAT Club Tests [Suggestions] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 07:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

How to Best Use GMAT Club Tests

Several new members have asked me this question recently and I wanted to address it with a comprehensive post. The goal of this topic is to maximize the time and value of the GMAT Club tests to make sure you take advantage of all of the features and also fit them best into your strategy for the maximum impact. Welcome your questions and suggestions about the best use of GMAT Club tests (or tests in general).

What are GMAT Club Tests?

The tests were created by a number of Moderators and Quant experts, including myself and Bunuel, over the years. As we have prepared for the GMAT and fell for various traps, we realized that it would be great to create a question or two that would illustrate those traps. Think about devious things - such as making sure you plugged -1/2 as an option or stumping you with a question pattern you have never seen before. The goal of the tests is to avoid a lot (but not all) of the simple and easy questions and jump straight to the interesting stuff. We also continuously improve these questions - we have feedback mechanisms built into explanations where users can flag them, improve the explanation, or bring a technical issue to our attention. Out of 1,500+ questions, about 3/4 are quant and only about 380 are verbal. All of these questions are unique, written by us, and generally harder (do not get surprised if you miss 10 and still get a Q49 score - the algorithm compensates for extra difficulty). These are not licensed, copied, or in any way copied questions - they are original.

What can you do with the Tests?

We call these GMAT Club tests and more accurately, we could probably call them GMAT Club Questions since you can take them in many forms:
  • You can take these as CAT tests, obviously. The tests are adaptive (we use our own proprietary algorithm) and they are built to simulate the GMAT experience where test difficulty will change and jump around due to the experimental questions used on the real GMAT. The quant algorithm and scoring is very accurate (verbal is less so since the database of questions is small and verbal is harder to gauge in general). We evaluate the algorithm based on the comparison of user results in our tests and their final official scores (from debriefs, reviews, and other verifiable sources). We have found the results for quant to be very accurate for scores above Q40 (the lower ones we don't have as much data).
  • Quizzes- you can custom built a quiz based on the topic, difficulty, or previous attempts. Thus you can take questions from DS Geometry for example that are 700+ level OR you can take PS Arithmetic that you answered wrong OR CR Weaken that took you more than 3 minutes to solve (whether answered correctly or incorrectly). The quizzes are a great way to refresh, review, and keep an error log. Important note: the "Incorrect" trigger is based on your latest attempt/result, so if you have taken 1 question 4 times and answered it I, I, I, C, the system will consider this question to be answered Correctly. If you want to keep a question in your error log even after you answered it correctly, you can use one of the options below or just answer it incorrectly later.
  • Collections- you can create your own question collections or browse and attempt those created by other members such as Bunuel or Myself - Tricky DS questions or Hardest CR questions. This tool is useful if you want to build custom practice sets for yourself.
  • Practice Mode - tests support what's called a "practice mode" where your practice is timed but not limited by the timer (your test or quiz won't be terminated when you get to 0 mins left). This mode also allows you to check explanation/question answer as you move through the test or quiz. You will receive a score even in the practice mode - the accuracy of the result will depend on you. Tests or quizzes taken in practice mode are clearly identified/marked.
  • Error Log- whether you are taking tests or quizzes, you can mark questions in 3 ways: bookmarks, notes, and guesses. The quiz system has an option to filter questions based on these parameters and it is a quick and automatic way to segment or split up your previously attempted questions for a later review. Here is a screenshot of the quiz page with various options:
Attachment:
2016-06-23_0716.png
2016-06-23_0716.png [ 11.06 KiB | Viewed 4209 times ]

When Should You Take/Use Questions?

Unlike with GMAT Prep, you actually get quite a few CAT's, and Quizzes allow you to use up all of the questions as you need them.
  • If you have not taken your first GMAT Practice test yet, then I would suggest you do, at least the quant one and use it to check your starting score
  • In the middle of your prep, I would recommend focusing on quizzes and using them to work on each area/topic as you go through your books or a course. Please make sure you don't exhaust questions of a particular topic completely as that will limit the number of CATs you can take - the question database is shared between Quizzes and Tests. You can refer to the CAT page that will recalculate the number of remaining CATs based on your attempted questions.
  • Throughout your prep, you should be working on your mistakes - organize them, track them, and make sure you won't make the same mistake if you see a similar question on your test (chances are you will).
  • If you are coming to the end of your prep, start taking CAT's and doing reviews of your results (more on that below)

How is question difficulty determined?

The difficulty is determined by the collective user practice results. For example of more than 75% of users make a mistake on a question or take more than 2 mins to answer the question correctly, we identify it as a harder question (the actual algorithm is more complex). However, the difficulty is constantly updated, tweaked, and refreshed based on the attempts of the questions.

How to Review Tests

There are a few ways you can analyze your test performance. Including just test analysis and quiz analysis areas in My Performance as well as my favorite (screenshot below) - Best & Worst. You can also find some useful stats if you take a look at the Analysis by Time.
Attachment:
best-worst_analysis.png
best-worst_analysis.png [ 39.05 KiB | Viewed 4204 times ]

Are there any Official Guide or GMAT Prep Questions in the GMAT Club Tests?

I don't know why but we get this question at least weekly. The answer is short - "NO". There is no OG or GMAT Prep Questions in the GMAT Club tests - neither copies, "cousins" or anything that would compromise your scoring on the GMAT Prep. Hope this is clear enough.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 28469 [4], given: 5105

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: How to use GMAT Club Tests [Suggestions] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 07:57
Great post! I was about to send a PM on this to you but eventually saw your post on exactly the same questions I wanted to ask!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 101 [1], given: 138

GMAT 1: 470 Q30 V20
GMAT 2: 620 Q42 V33

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Great post, bb

I'd like to suggest to include a link from explanations to the excellent preparation material you compiled and made available to us - not only the answer explanation.

Perhaps, some answers, especially from the moderators, are far more efficient and out-of-box than our "simple mortals" answers. Learning to think and respond as a test preparer would significantly improve our ability to reach extra miles or actually teach us the "right-way" to think it.

Kudos [?]: 101 [1], given: 138

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28469 [0], given: 5105

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 13:42
Thank you. I just added some review suggestions. Will continue updating this topic. Also wanted to mention that we are working on bringing forum discussions into the test interface. Currently we have a dedicated forum discussion for every question - linked at the bottom but it seems not everyone finds it, so we will be displaying the full discussion within tests. Screenshot to the link is below.

You will be able to see the discussion and alternative explanations by other moderators and members (thank you) without leaving the question. You can also post your questions without leaving the Tests area. This is coming in a few weeks.

In regards to the materials - what do you have in mind Link to what would you be looking for? Something from our math book or link to more questions for practice or ? Can you give an example, in case of fractions or DS geometry - where would you find it helpful to be linking to?

Best Regards
BB
Attachments

Forum_discussion_link.png
Forum_discussion_link.png [ 148.27 KiB | Viewed 3983 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 05:22
bb wrote:
Thank you. I just added some review suggestions. Will continue updating this topic. Also wanted to mention that we are working on bringing forum discussions into the test interface. Currently we have a dedicated forum discussion for every question - linked at the bottom but it seems not everyone finds it, so we will be displaying the full discussion within tests. Screenshot to the link is below.

You will be able to see the discussion and alternative explanations by other moderators and members (thank you) without leaving the question. You can also post your questions without leaving the Tests area. This is coming in a few weeks.

In regards to the materials - what do you have in mind Link to what would you be looking for? Something from our math book or link to more questions for practice or ? Can you give an example, in case of fractions or DS geometry - where would you find it helpful to be linking to?

Best Regards
BB

Hello bb, I always appreciate your openness to new ideas, which makes this forum the most excellent place to reach greater scores.

You got the idea right. For people like me, who didn't have any math background, the explanations from the moderators are far too "straightforward" sometimes. For instance, in this question, someone would present a 10 secs formulaic approach - which is nice for the GMAT purpose - but for people like me who is still climbing the mountain can be overwhelming and many times incomprehensible.

Then, "linking it" to the math book, to the basics, would shine a light on it and increase the capability of understanding for everyone. Democratically. :-D

Of course, I reckon that problem like the one you presented require more than one knowledge to solve it. In this specific question, we must understand "absolute values" also. So, multiple links, ranked from the primary to the least needed knowledge to respond the questions would be extremely helpful - at least for mortals like myself.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28469 [1], given: 5105

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We have just added a new feature - Forum Discussion is visible in the question explanations in its entirety.

We have always offered a link to a question discussion but it was not always very visible - now we are going a step further and bringing in the entire discussion of the topic into the explanation area of the question (explanations are visible after you take the question OR if you are taking the test in study mode). Please note that some questions have no comments (there is a discussion topic dedicated to the question but it has not received additional comments from users) in this case, you will not see any discussion and only a button to post your question/reply/comment.

Welcome your other ideas/questions/suggestions for the GMAT Club Tests.

Attachment:
New_Tests_Feature.png
New_Tests_Feature.png [ 317.84 KiB | Viewed 3021 times ]

Attachment:
Screenshot (1).jpg
Screenshot (1).jpg [ 131.93 KiB | Viewed 3016 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 10:57
Pretty good feature bb. It will be helpful to have a look at forum discussions along with official explanation.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 11:01
Good feature man really appreciate it seeing the solutions and discussion in the same window!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 12:23
We have added some additional features to the GMAT Club Tests - you now have an ability to print out/download all of your notes.

Just click the Download Notes button on the "With Notes" page
Attachments

PDF notes.png
PDF notes.png [ 98.52 KiB | Viewed 2362 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 12:03
bb wrote:
We have added some additional features to the GMAT Club Tests - you now have an ability to print out/download all of your notes.

nice job!

One good thing to do would be a "test mode" for simple selections from the Forum

Manager
Manager
G
Status: 'When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 91

WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 06:29
Hi bb,

I currently have 176 points out of which 76 are redeemable...will I be able to extend my gmatclub tests subscription with these points? If yes, for how long?

Will I still have access to my data of questions I answered incorrectly after I renew/buy the tests? I have a premium subscription.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 16:42
MelP wrote:
Hi bb,

I currently have 176 points out of which 76 are redeemable...will I be able to extend my gmatclub tests subscription with these points? If yes, for how long?

Will I still have access to my data of questions I answered incorrectly after I renew/buy the tests? I have a premium subscription.

You can find all that information in the Rewards Area
45 points gets you 2 weeks...

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
G
Status: 'When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."

WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 21:18
Quote:

thank you for replying bb ...I did check the rewards section but I couldn't find the answer to my doubt,
"Will I still have access to my data of questions I answered incorrectly after I renew/buy the tests?" Sorry for the trouble.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
Kaal

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2017, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MelP wrote:
Quote:

thank you for replying bb ...I did check the rewards section but I couldn't find the answer to my doubt,
"Will I still have access to my data of questions I answered incorrectly after I renew/buy the tests?" Sorry for the trouble.

No worries. Your question is not clear really. I will attempt to answer it. You will have access to questions past or future after you get access to the tests. You will not have access to questions past or future after you subscription expires.

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 27

WE: Consulting (Commercial Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 09:39
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Thoroughly enjoying the CATs, however, the export to PDF (notes or the whole thing) isn't working. It throws an error. I have attached a snapshot.

Thanks
Attachments

File comment: Screenshot of the error.
GMATClub Export Error.jpg
GMATClub Export Error.jpg [ 55.89 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 10:35
RussianWinters wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Thoroughly enjoying the CATs, however, the export to PDF (notes or the whole thing) isn't working. It throws an error. I have attached a snapshot.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this - this is unusual. I will have the developers look into it ASAP.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 11:25
bb wrote:
RussianWinters wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this - this is unusual. I will have the developers look into it ASAP.

Thanks for your quick revert bb.

BTW Excel feature works absolutely fine.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 27

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi. This has been fixed on Saturday - not sure if you tried but i just heard that it has/supposed to be fixed. Can you try please?
Thank you.

RussianWinters wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Thanks

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Hi. This has been fixed on Saturday - not sure if you tried but i just heard that it has/supposed to be fixed. Can you try please?
Thank you.

RussianWinters wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Thanks

Hi bb,

Working like a charm. The Export Notes functionality is immensely helpful.

Thank you for your quick turnaround.

Re: How to use GMAT Club Tests [Suggestions]   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2017, 08:26

How to use GMAT Club Tests [Suggestions]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap