Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Huge gap between GMATPrep Mock and Actual GMAT Verbal Score. Pls help! [#permalink]
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Thankyou very much for responding. Please find answers to your questions below:

Did you focus on the decision points?
I did try to, however, most of the questions I got were full of commas, semicolons, etc and I was not sure if either of the fragments were acting as appositive phrase or non-essential modifier. Just for an example, say the question is "ABC, something about ABC, which..., that...." Now in this case I am not sure if placement of "which" and "that" is correctly done.

Did you find yourself unable to handle the topics tested at the decision points? For example, were you unable to figure out the tense, unable to make up your mind about the pronoun etc?
Yes that was really the case. In my mock tests, the decision points would jump to me because of either 3-2 splits, or wrong tense, SV, parallelism, etc. used. However, in the real exam, I could not see a decision point and choices looked more as if they were testing me on meaning because they did not have obvious 3-2 split, etc. It was very confusing to me.

Were the sentence structures different in the options such that you needed to focus on the placement of clauses, modifiers which you were unable to do?
Yes you are right, they focused on either back to back restrictive modifiers, and I could not find out if Modifier 1 needed "that" or "which" or was it Modifier 2 that needed "that" or "which"

Did you focus on accuracy of meaning?
I remember atleast once choice where even though I focused on the meaning, I still could eliminate choices. Apparently, there were 2-3 correct ways of explaining the idea according to me (!!) :(

SC is where you will need to save time so you must be efficient at it. Many CR questions take about 2 mins or more but you have less than 2 mins per question in Verbal. So ideally, you should be packing off every SC question in less than 1 min.
Actually the clock was at 52minutes and I was still on 8th question. That was no relief, as I was not sure if my first 7 answers were even correct. In my mocks, my average SC time was 1:20, CR in 1:50 and RC reading was 4-6minutes and RC questions were 1-1:15minutes. I guess I need to improve my SC timing a bit here.

What about CR questions? Were you sure of your answers?
Yeah, I think CR was ok. However, in the middle of the section I randomly guessed a few questions. They were either CR or SC. So to save time from question 18th - 25th, I would answer one question, guess the next, answer one.. and so on. But I was so running out of time, that even the ones I was answering with time, I was unable to give good amount of time to each CR. To be honest, CR has always been an area where I haven't improved a lot, or atleast my confidence has not improved a lot. I am easily lost with choices involving statistics or percentages. I have practiced a lot from GMATPrep, gmatclub, Veritas Bank, OG - all of which have been supremely useful - but for some reason every new question is new! I know some people who can readily crack CR and see the "gap" and save all the time by NOT reading the other choices, but for me, I have to read and re-read the choices to be sure. This is really time consuming as well. Can you please help how to improve in CR too?

Have you checked out our write ups on all the different CR question types?
Unfortunately not. Can you please provide me the links for this write-ups?

As a side note, I found that I took a lot of time reading RC passages in exam! They were short but very convoluted. Some of the questions and their answer choices were too long for me to understand. I think those were also the places where I consumed time. Do you have any tips to make sense of long choices by shortening it OR how to read passages more quickly?

My strategy in RC has been to read it fully, jot notes down and then eliminate the wrong choices
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Huge gap between GMATPrep Mock and Actual GMAT Verbal Score. Pls help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Patronus,

I'm curious to know if you had taken a full-length GMAT, including timed breaks, etc. It's difficult to gauge where you really stand without simulating a test-day environment when taking your practice exams, which might explain the difference between your mock scores and actual score.

We wrote about this recently on our blog as well, which you can check out here: https://bit.ly/1AMceCh

Best,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Patronus wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Thankyou very much for responding. Please find answers to your questions below:

Did you focus on the decision points?
I did try to, however, most of the questions I got were full of commas, semicolons, etc and I was not sure if either of the fragments were acting as appositive phrase or non-essential modifier. Just for an example, say the question is "ABC, something about ABC, which..., that...." Now in this case I am not sure if placement of "which" and "that" is correctly done.

Did you find yourself unable to handle the topics tested at the decision points? For example, were you unable to figure out the tense, unable to make up your mind about the pronoun etc?
Yes that was really the case. In my mock tests, the decision points would jump to me because of either 3-2 splits, or wrong tense, SV, parallelism, etc. used. However, in the real exam, I could not see a decision point and choices looked more as if they were testing me on meaning because they did not have obvious 3-2 split, etc. It was very confusing to me.

Were the sentence structures different in the options such that you needed to focus on the placement of clauses, modifiers which you were unable to do?
Yes you are right, they focused on either back to back restrictive modifiers, and I could not find out if Modifier 1 needed "that" or "which" or was it Modifier 2 that needed "that" or "which"

Did you focus on accuracy of meaning?
I remember atleast once choice where even though I focused on the meaning, I still could eliminate choices. Apparently, there were 2-3 correct ways of explaining the idea according to me (!!) :(

SC is where you will need to save time so you must be efficient at it. Many CR questions take about 2 mins or more but you have less than 2 mins per question in Verbal. So ideally, you should be packing off every SC question in less than 1 min.
Actually the clock was at 52minutes and I was still on 8th question. That was no relief, as I was not sure if my first 7 answers were even correct. In my mocks, my average SC time was 1:20, CR in 1:50 and RC reading was 4-6minutes and RC questions were 1-1:15minutes. I guess I need to improve my SC timing a bit here.

What about CR questions? Were you sure of your answers?
Yeah, I think CR was ok. However, in the middle of the section I randomly guessed a few questions. They were either CR or SC. So to save time from question 18th - 25th, I would answer one question, guess the next, answer one.. and so on. But I was so running out of time, that even the ones I was answering with time, I was unable to give good amount of time to each CR. To be honest, CR has always been an area where I haven't improved a lot, or atleast my confidence has not improved a lot. I am easily lost with choices involving statistics or percentages. I have practiced a lot from GMATPrep, gmatclub, Veritas Bank, OG - all of which have been supremely useful - but for some reason every new question is new! I know some people who can readily crack CR and see the "gap" and save all the time by NOT reading the other choices, but for me, I have to read and re-read the choices to be sure. This is really time consuming as well. Can you please help how to improve in CR too?

Have you checked out our write ups on all the different CR question types?
Unfortunately not. Can you please provide me the links for this write-ups?

As a side note, I found that I took a lot of time reading RC passages in exam! They were short but very convoluted. Some of the questions and their answer choices were too long for me to understand. I think those were also the places where I consumed time. Do you have any tips to make sense of long choices by shortening it OR how to read passages more quickly?

My strategy in RC has been to read it fully, jot notes down and then eliminate the wrong choices

"Actually the clock was at 52minutes and I was still on 8th question."

If you actually meant to write this, then this is the root of all problems. You took an average of 6.5 min per question for the first 8 questions. You can never do that - no matter what, you cannot spend more than 3-4 mins on any question (including Quant) until and unless you are at the end of the test with plenty of time left over. I can imagine what would have happened after you saw 52 mins - 8th question. Your mind would have gone into a frenzy. You would have struggled on simple questions because you would have glossed over them without focusing on the key words. You would have wanted to just get to the 'rest of the questions' which means that you would not have paid attention to the question in front of you. Everything would have seemed super confusing - even if the answer was staring at you. Even if it is the first question you get, if you feel lost even after 2 mins, guess and move on. It's much better than faltering on your entire test.

Also, you seem to have really struggled with modifiers and relative clauses. Suggest you to check out a grammar book for these topics.
Search for critical reasoning on our blog and you will find plenty of posts - many by Ron and some by me on CR question types. Go through them.

"In my mocks, my average SC time was 1:20, CR in 1:50 and RC reading was 4-6minutes and RC questions were 1-1:15minutes."

If these are your average timings, you need to increase speed in RC, rest is fine. If you are taking 4-6 mins for reading the passage, you should be able to answer the questions in 30 secs each. So for purpose-tone-scope questions, you shouldn't need to go back to the passage. Only for specific detail or inference questions should you back up once. If you re unable to understand a short super convoluted passage even after a couple of reads - which should ideally take not more than 2-3 mins since the passage is short - take your best guess on the questions and move on. The ones looking for specific details would be simple so those you should get correct. You might also get the purpose. Even if the other 1 or 2 are incorrect, it will not matter in the big scheme of things. With long and easy passages, jotting down the purpose of every paragraph is quite useful.
GMAT Club Bot