Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3661 [58]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [42]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1235 [9]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting [#permalink]
Kudos
B
though some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests
and wildlife sanctuaries, were taken decades ago, great increases in populatio
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting [#permalink]
B,

Great increases should be subject of last sentence
Such as should be used to show examples
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Here is my thinking -

d and e are out because we need a connecting word such as 'though' NOT 'with' to indicate the contrast mentioned in the sentence.

a is out because of 'like'

b vs c - I can't decide what is wrong with (c). In some forums they talk about c being a fragment. I don't understand how it is a fragment? Please explain how to rule out c.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1235 [5]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akg wrote:
B,

Great increases should be subject of last sentence
Such as should be used to show examples

In options C, look at the elements joined by the word "AND" Are they parallel???
increase in population and in the intensity of industrialization --> correct form of parallelism increases correctly modifies both increase in population and increase in the intensity of industrialization.

AND is an important word in the GMAT. When you find "AND" on the GMAT, pick out the elements joined by AND and check if they are parallel or if they play the same role in the sentence ( nouns, phrases )

I hope the above explanation help. Press kudos if you like my explanation. :)
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
teal wrote:
Here is my thinking -

d and e are out because we need a connecting word such as 'though' NOT 'with' to indicate the contrast mentioned in the sentence.

a is out because of 'like'

b vs c - I can't decide what is wrong with (c). In some forums they talk about c being a fragment. I don't understand how it is a fragment? Please explain how to rule out c.

Hi,

This is the sentence with choice C: Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and farming too intensively, and though some protective measures, such as establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries having been taken decades ago, great population increases and in the intensity of industrialization are causing a worldwide ecological crisis.

In this sentence, notice what appears after "increases and". It is "in the intensity...". This is not a complete phrase. What in the intensity of industrialization has caused ecological crisis? We do not know that. Hence, one of the subjects is not complete. Hence we have a fragment here.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [2]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and farming too intensively, and though some protective measures, like the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great increases in population and in the intensity of industrialization are causing a worldwide ecological crisis.

A. though some protective measures, like the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great increases in population : Absence of Verb and use of Like to give examples

B. though some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, were taken decades ago, great increases in population

C. though some protective measures, such as establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries having been taken decades ago, great population increases - Absence of verb

D. with some protective measures, like establishing national forests and wildlife sanctuaries that were taken decades ago, great increases in population - No contrast and use of Like

E. with some protective measures, such as the establishment of national forests and wildlife sanctuaries, having been taken decades ago, great population increases - No contrast and absence of verb

B is clear Answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The first decision point is to remove A and D for using like for denoting examples. The second point is to eliminate C for using 'having been taken' along with 'though', rendering the dependent clause a fragment. E has the problem of using 'population increases' that is not parallel with 'in the intensity of industrialization'

B remains and one can click it with aplomb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Hi could someone explain why we need comma before "and" in this sentence =
"""Humans have been damaging the environment for centuries by overcutting trees and farming too intensively, and though.."""
why we should use comma cause "and" in here but it is not marker of parallelism ! after "and" we have DC "THOUGH" . and why we must not use period before "and".
I mean THE construction "IC + , + AND + DC+ , + IC." is always correct ? according to this question
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos