Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: I AM BACK! GMAT YOU ARE GOING DOWN! [#permalink]
diegocml wrote:
That's the attitude, Black5tar!

Kick the GMAT in the teeth!

Go get 'em, tiger!

Thanks friend! Glad to know someone shares the same passion as me!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Black5tar,

Earlier this year, you were discussing plans to apply to PhD Programs with a goal score of 740+. Are all of those plans still the same (and is your goal score still the same?)? What does your overall timeline look like for this next attempt?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich, yes your memory is very good! i am still looking at PhD programs, though i am probably going to give myself more time given all that has happened. i should be looking at around next aug for my next attempt? that should fit in nicely right before application season
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Black5tar,

Depending on the available study time that you have, and your current skills, you might be able to take the GMAT before next August and hit your score goal. How long have you been back at studying (or are you just getting re-started?)? When you feel up to it, you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), so that we can get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. Some of your GMAT 'skills' have likely faded over time, so you might be 'rusty' in some areas. We'll need an initial score though, so that we can craft a realistic timeline and study plan.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Black5tar,

Depending on the available study time that you have, and your current skills, you might be able to take the GMAT before next August and hit your score goal. How long have you been back at studying (or are you just getting re-started?)? When you feel up to it, you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections), so that we can get a sense of your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. Some of your GMAT 'skills' have likely faded over time, so you might be 'rusty' in some areas. We'll need an initial score though, so that we can craft a realistic timeline and study plan.

Rich

Thanks Rich, yes i am just getting re-started. Starting with a full length diagnostic test is a good idea. Will update you guys once i get that done!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i did my full length CAT and for the following score: 580 Q47 V26

seems like verbal is still my weakest link...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Black5tar,

Considering everything that you've been through, this CAT score is a solid performance (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). If your score goal is still 740+, then you're going to have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is still the same consistent, predictable Exam that it's always been, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Since you're starting back up with your studies, how many hours do you think you'll be able to study each week going forward?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Black5tar,

Considering everything that you've been through, this CAT score is a solid performance (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). If your score goal is still 740+, then you're going to have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is still the same consistent, predictable Exam that it's always been, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Since you're starting back up with your studies, how many hours do you think you'll be able to study each week going forward?

Rich

Thanks Rich, appreciate the encouragement! I am currently doing 10 hours a week. what do you recommend is ideal from your years of experience?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Black5tar,

10 hours a week is a solid time commitment; with your score goal, you'll likely end up increasing that commitment though. One of the important aspects of studying for the GMAT is to do your studying in small 'chunks' throughout the week and not try to 'cram' too hard on the weekends. If you do choose to study for longer sessions on Saturdays/Sundays, then you should plan to take 'breaks' every so often (for example, you might take 30-60 minutes 'off' for every 2 hours that you study). In 1-2 weeks, you should plan to take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT so we can gauge your progress so far.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot