Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1051 [375]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [119]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [34]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [20]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Since 1986 when the Department of Labor began to allow investment offi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
should be (D)

Since 1986, when the Department of Labor began to allow investment officers' fees to be based on how the
funds they manage perform, several corporations began
paying their investment advisers a small basic fee,
with a contract promising higher fees if the managers perform well.

(A) investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began - "they" has no referent

(B) investment officers’ fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began - "they" has no referent

(C) that fees of investment officers be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations
have begun - very awkward

(D) fees of investment officers to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations have begun

(E) that investment officers' fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began - "they" has no referent
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Since 1986 when the Department of Labor began to allow investment offi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
Since 1986 when the Department of Labor began to allow investment officers' fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began paying their investment advisers a small basic fee, with a contract promising higher fees if the managers perform well.

(A) investment officers' fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began

(B) investment officers' fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began

(C) that fees of investment officers be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations have begun

(D) fees of investment officers to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations have begun

(E) that investment officers' fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "began", although the present perfect verb "have begun" is appropriate here. Additionally, this answer choice uses the subject pronoun "they" to refer to the possessive noun "officer's fees". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice displays the same errors seen in Option A. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice displays no grammatical errors; however, the use of the passive voice renders it quite wordy and awkward. Thus, while it is not incorrect, this answer choice is not a very good one.

Choice D: This answer choice maintains proper tense and pronoun use and is quite concise. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice E: This answer choice displays the same errors seen in Options A and B. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

One important thing to note here is that the phrase "since 1986" makes it completely clear that the present perfect tense must be used; this tense is used to refer to actions that ended in the past but continue to have an effect in the present. In this case, the action is the act of beginning the corporations' new practice; the adoption of this practice concluded in the past but since the practice continues to this day, this adoption continues to affect the present.

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
Since 1986 when the Department of Labor began to allow investment officers' fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began paying their investment advisers a small basic fee, with a contract promising higher fees if the managers perform well.

(A) investment officers' fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations began

(B) investment officers' fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began

(C) that fees of investment officers be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations have begun

(E) that investment officers' fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several corporations began
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [11]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The correct answer is D. Whenever "since" is in a sentence this indicates the present perfect (has/have + participle) needs to be used. The action happened in the past and is continuing to happen.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [14]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In A, B and E, began is in the wrong tense. Since requires the present perfect tense: since 1986...several corporations HAVE BEGUN. Eliminate A, B and E.

In C, be based should not be in the subjunctive mood. The subjunctive mood is appropriate when an action is being requested or demanded -- not when it is being ALLOWED. The correct idiom here is allow X to Y. Eliminate C.

The correct answer is D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Bookmarks
I am e gmat customer and I see that many e-gmat's articles are great.

The following is from OG. I get to the right answer comfortablly.
But I do not understand the use of "with a contract... well" . This phrase modify the previous clause. Is that right? "with" refer to what noun?

It seem that gmat dose not test this point of grammar. However , knowing how "with"phrase can be used is good for us. I see this "with" phrase appear many times on gmatprep.

e gmat expert, pls, explain fully the role of "with" phrase in the sentence.
Thank you.

Since 1986, when the Department of Labor began to allow// investment officers' fees to be based on how the
funds they manage perform, several corporations began// paying their investment advisers a small basic fee,
(A) investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations
began
(B) investment officers’ fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several
corporations began
(C) that fees of investment officers be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations
have begun
(D) fees of investment officers to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several
corporations have begun
(E) that investment officers' fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several
corporations began
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [10]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
I am e gmat customer and I see that many e-gmat's articles are great.

The following is from OG. I get to the right answer comfortablly.
But I do not understand the use of "with a contract... well" . This phrase modify the previous clause. Is that right? "with" refer to what noun?

It seem that gmat dose not test this point of grammar. However , knowing how "with"phrase can be used is good for us. I see this "with" phrase appear many times on gmatprep.

e gmat expert, pls, explain fully the role of "with" phrase in the sentence.
Thank you.

Since 1986, when the Department of Labor began to allow// investment officers' fees to be based on how the
funds they manage perform, several corporations began// paying their investment advisers a small basic fee,
(A) investment officers’ fees to be based on how the funds they manage perform, several corporations
began
(B) investment officers’ fees to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several
corporations began
have begun
(D) fees of investment officers to be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several
corporations have begun
(E) that investment officers' fees be based on the performance of the funds they manage, several
corporations began

Hi thangvietnam,

We will definitely write an article on prepositional phrase modifiers. But for now, I will give you a general idea about your query.

“with” modifiers are very versatile modifiers.

They can modify either the preceding clause or the preceding nouns. What they modify actually depends on the context of the sentence and the wording of the modifier itself.

Consider this correct sentence from an official question:
Bihar is India’s poorest state, with an annual per capita income of $111, lower than that of the most impoverished countries of the world.

In this sentence, with modifier actually modifies the preceding noun. With modifier in this sentence has the following sense
India’s poorest state, which has an annual per capita income of $111
Notice how “which has” can be understood to replace “with”.

However, this modifier can be understood to modify the subject of the clause as well because of the nature of the verb - is. This is a linking verb, which establishes the following relationship:
Bihar = India’s poorest state.
So whatever modifies India’s poorest state also modifies Bihar. You can notice similar behavior of the verb-ed modifier in OG12#5 - Diabetes ranks as…

Now lets consider a scenario in which “with” modifier modifies the preceding clause.
This is a GMATPrep Question. You can find the detailed solution of this question at thislink.

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging like socks on a clothesline.

The highlighted modifier above modifies the preceding clause. In essence this sentence can be written as two separate sentences:
1. Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and seen monkeys sleeping on the branches,
2. Their arms and legs are hung like socks on a clothesline.
So sentence 2 has been converted into with modifier. This modifier extends the thought of the preceding clause by providing a detail supporting it.

Now if the above sounds very complicated, then do not worry about it. As long as you know that these modifiers are versatile and hence can modify preceding clause and preceding nouns, you would be fine. Let the meaning of the sentence guide you. You should understand the meaning of the sentence and ensure that one of these roles fit well.

Now based on this treatment, can you analyze the sentence in your post and tell me what is the role of "with modifier". Remember CONTEXT is the key.

I look forward to your response.
Thanks,

Payal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [3]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos