Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
The people and the facilities ( I like the fact that it is private ) are top-notch. Cost of living is low..I can afford to buy a house there. Moreover, I have lived in California since 2001. It will be great to experience a different part of the country for a change.

Sorry about your Duke ding. I hate to say this but I think the GMAT threshold for Indian guys is higher these days. I know it sucks.

Thats a great decision...kinda explore different things attitude ...good on you mate

Well...before i met people like Rhyme and pelihu, every TOM D and Harry kinda convinced me that Essays are the key ....

But now i realised that GMAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF ANY Appln..

Just a glance at the INdian R2 admits shows it ........

https://www.pagalguy.com/forum/b-school- ... nd-12.html

nysa - 770
deba_s56 - 770
kunalbs - 760
gmattering- 760
gop1- 750
Susie Derkins - 740
kgkid - 740
manuiyer - 730
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's a good chunk of money. I faced a similar situation when deciding on law schools. In-state tuition at Berkeley, a scholarship from Michigan that made costs equal to Berkeley, and full-price at Columbia. Money no object, I probably would have gone with Columbia, but I took the cash from Michigan because I was really poor at the time (fresh out of undergrad). Things would probably be different now that I'm not so poor.

I guess it will depend on your individual situation. If you're planning to go into a high-paying field, you probably don't need to consider the money too much. If you're thinking non-profit or something that doesn't pay very much, then less debt will allow you to make that choice later on.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
The people and the facilities ( I like the fact that it is private ) are top-notch. Cost of living is low..I can afford to buy a house there. Moreover, I have lived in California since 2001. It will be great to experience a different part of the country for a change.

Sorry about your Duke ding. I hate to say this but I think the GMAT threshold for Indian guys is higher these days. I know it sucks.

Thats a great decision...kinda explore different things attitude ...good on you mate

Well...before i met people like Rhyme and pelihu, every TOM D and Harry kinda convinced me that Essays are the key ....

But now i realised that GMAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF ANY Appln..

Just a glance at the INdian R2 admits shows it ........

https://www.pagalguy.com/forum/b-school- ... nd-12.html

nysa - 770
deba_s56 - 770
kunalbs - 760
gmattering- 760
gop1- 750
Susie Derkins - 740
kgkid - 740
manuiyer - 730

That Indian demographic is a tough one. The underlying problem is that it is really hard to separate yourself from the crowd during the admissions process. You can't help but wonder how many others have similar profiles, but higher GMAT scores.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
You can't help but wonder how many others have similar profiles, but higher GMAT scores.

True....GMAT is the only differentiator and i won't bother listening to the admission consultants crap about essays etc

I wish i knew this 6 months back, would have focused on my GMAT Score...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: I am so confused....:( :) [#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
I had made up my mind to attend Duke and was all set to accept their offer. Today, I found out that I got a significant two year fellowship from UCLA on top of in-state tuition. This brings down my tuition bill to less than 14K per year.

What would you do ? Should I write to Duke ?

AWESOME!

This is a tough decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:
You can't help but wonder how many others have similar profiles, but higher GMAT scores.

True....GMAT is the only differentiator and i won't bother listening to the admission consultants crap about essays etc

I totally disagree...I was 23 when i applied I am indian I only have a 720 on the gmat and went to George washington university...the only distinguishing thing perse I am not an engineer and worked at an international organization... I know for a fact...I got in purely because of my essays, I met other people my age interviewing at the GSB and other schools, and a couple were even U of C undergrads.

The process is imperfect alot of luck, but u gotta appeal to people and hope for the best.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Quote:

I hope you are just saying this because you are angry right now. It hurts me a bit to hear you say that, because I know I'm one of the ones who told you the essays were key. I stick by that - I really do - just look at admission411 - clearly GMAT is not sufficient to get you in.

I hope you dont feel like I led you astray. If you do, I'm truly sorry. I only ever wanted to the best for you and for everyone else here.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess what Oz meant wasn't exactly that GMAT is the only differentiator. But if you are from a over represented group, you need to execute perfectly and that means a comparable GMAT score ( which is high for Indians ).

Rupstar, are you a full time student ? You are not typical. First of all, you are probably a US citizen. You did your undergrad in the US and don't work in Hi-tech. Moreover, your GMAT score is not low. Also, you applied last year. This year it seems crazier by all counts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:
I had made up my mind to attend Duke and was all set to accept their offer. Today, I found out that I got a significant two year fellowship from UCLA on top of in-state tuition. This brings down my tuition bill to less than 14K per year.

If you made up your mind that Duke is where you want to be, call them up and tell them the financial situiation you were offered at UCLA and see if they will cut a deal with you. Let them know you really want to go there but you dont want to give up such a good tuition offer.

Its BUSINESS school...if they want you they will cut a deal, thats what business is about.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:

If you write to Duke and they give you some money, great!
If they don't, going to UCLA won't be a bad idea. The two schools are comparable and not having a huge loan would give you a lot of independence post-MBA. Just my 2 cents. :)
Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It definetly is a tough decision.

Both schools are ranked identical but one is offering scholarship on top of In-State and the other one is not.

I would say talk to Duke. This is one time when we have the control and not at mercy of the ADCOM. If they comply to your demands then well and good other wise I would prefer having a lower debt when I am getting out of college.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
I hope you are just saying this because you are angry right now. It hurts me a bit to hear you say that, because I know I'm one of the ones who told you the essays were key. I stick by that - I really do - just look at admission411 - clearly GMAT is not sufficient to get you in.

I hope you dont feel like I led you astray. If you do, I'm truly sorry. I only ever wanted to the best for you and for everyone else here.

Rhyme -- This is no way directed towards you..and ..I am referring to the GMAT for the INDIAN Male Pool...( Just look at the Duke R2 Admit scores --average is alone 730 :twisted:

The admission consultants i am referring to are , mbamission.com and clearadmit.com where i blowed a 3 grand for stupid essay editing..where as the only one who really gave a critical comments on my essays is "Rhyme".......i owe that to you .....
Director
Director
Send PM
lhotseface wrote:

Did you factor the cost of your spouse earnings and career progression, if you make a move to Durham? RT has loads of companies but it takes time and effort and one may not get the same kind of designation etc..(just a guess )..

You have loads of guts to throw away that kind of money , if you accept Duke...
Director
Director
Send PM
Let me make this more complicated and confusing than before...
My wife got a kick ass offer from one of the top companies in RTP nrar Duke. She will be making a California Hi-tech salary in North Carolina. Options suck. We never thought we will think about having a long distance relationship while I attend school. Now, we don't know what to do.

Ozmba2006 wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

Did you factor the cost of your spouse earnings and career progression, if you make a move to Durham? RT has loads of companies but it takes time and effort and one may not get the same kind of designation etc..(just a guess )..

You have loads of guts to throw away that kind of money , if you accept Duke...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Let me make this more complicated and confusing than before...
My wife got a kick ass offer from one of the top companies in RTP nrar Duke. She will be making a California Hi-tech salary in North Carolina. Options suck. We never thought we will think about having a long distance relationship while I attend school. Now, we don't know what to do.

I rarely rarely feel Jealous about any one... :twisted: :twisted: ..But I cant help myself now....I am jealous now... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think your heart says Duke but the bean counters are making your life miserable...Go for the Blues man! :beer
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish I could hand you the other admit. We both applied to similar schools that we like.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Defn talk to Duke and see what they say. You have nothing to lose! (Especially given that their yield is quite low)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2