Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32898 [4]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32898 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 475
Send PM
Re: I decided to begin the terms work with the short story since that for [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
cyrwr1 wrote:
How can we know police reacted in such a manner in Q2?

Official Explanation

2. Policemen reacted to story events and characters

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

The writer explains that the policemen’s reactions were surprisingly unprejudiced.” The rest of paragraph 3 explains that policemen reacted to story events and characters according to alternative (A).

Answer: A

From surprisingly unprejudice how did we infer they reaacted like most other people.
TIA
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32898 [1]
Send PM
Re: I decided to begin the terms work with the short story since that for [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ShaikhMoice wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:
cyrwr1 wrote:
How can we know police reacted in such a manner in Q2?

Official Explanation

2. Policemen reacted to story events and characters

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

The writer explains that the policemen’s reactions were surprisingly unprejudiced.” The rest of paragraph 3 explains that policemen reacted to story events and characters according to alternative (A).

From surprisingly unprejudice how did we infer they reaacted like most other people.
TIA

We can infer that by not just the word "unprejudice" but need to read the following 2-3 lines. The author said "They did not object to writers whose stories had to do with their protagonist’s rebellion against society’s accepted values. Nor did stories in which the strong father becomes the villain and in which our usual ideals of manhood are turned around offend them."

This means that policemen show no like or dislike and they look like they have no interest. So they act as the common people.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShaikhMoice wrote:

You're completely right -- we can't infer that. The passage tells us nothing about how "most people" react to story, unless I missed something (I wasn't willing to spend too much time on a passage written like this one), and that's not something we're allowed to make a guess about. We learn the officers didn't object to anti-authoritarian characters, or to stories that overturn gender stereotypes. We have no idea how non-officers react to those features of a story, though, so no way to justify answer A in Question 2. And I have no idea what two of the answer choices to Q2 even mean: what does it mean to "react unrealistically" to story events? And how does a "dilettante" react to a story? It's not clear to me the question writer even knows what that word means.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
plz anyone can explain, how only c is the answer and not others in question number 3
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32898 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

3. To which sort of characters did policemen object?

Difficulty Level: 500

Explanation

The only characters that policemen objected to were unrealistic. See paragraph 3.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts