GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

I don't want to cry! Career Advice Needed

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
I don't want to cry! Career Advice Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 09:02
Hello, thanks for stopping by. I'm about to tell you some things I've never told anyone before. Even if it may be a little off, please advice me as though I am your only younger brother or perhaps your former self, and you have a chance to guide him/her. I don't have anyone around me to ask for advice and this is a pretty serious issue, so any advice at all will be highly appreciated.

I graduated with a BSc. in Economics from a not so famous university in Ghana on November last year. I engaged in a lot of extracurricular activities. As a fresher, I had an F grade in Quants on my transcript. Even after rewriting the paper, I had a D. I intend to make up for my mistakes and build a great career for myself.

In my senior year, having learnt some math, I started a math club and gave math lessons. I scored high in all other subsequent math courses and managed to get a 3.58/4.00 overall GPA or a 70/100, as shown on my transcript.

I want to go for a Masters in Economics from a top school, particularly Cambridge, but Cambridge states clearly, even in their graduate diploma section that applicants without an A math grade shouldn't bother applying. I'm still young and have my whole life ahead of me, what can I do to make the difference? I'm crazy serious about this and is willing to build a pyramid if necessary.

What can I do, take the CFA, what, should I look somewhere else? Please open up, no matter how distasteful or it may seem.

Thanks!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 14:43
Mentalist101 wrote:
Hello, thanks for stopping by. I'm about to tell you some things I've never told anyone before. Even if it may be a little off, please advice me as though I am your only younger brother or perhaps your former self, and you have a chance to guide him/her. I don't have anyone around me to ask for advice and this is a pretty serious issue, so any advice at all will be highly appreciated.

I graduated with a BSc. in Economics from a not so famous university in Ghana on November last year. I engaged in a lot of extracurricular activities. As a fresher, I had an F grade in Quants on my transcript. Even after rewriting the paper, I had a D. I intend to make up for my mistakes and build a great career for myself.

In my senior year, having learnt some math, I started a math club and gave math lessons. I scored high in all other subsequent math courses and managed to get a 3.58/4.00 overall GPA or a 70/100, as shown on my transcript.

I want to go for a Masters in Economics from a top school, particularly Cambridge, but Cambridge states clearly, even in their graduate diploma section that applicants without an A math grade shouldn't bother applying. I'm still young and have my whole life ahead of me, what can I do to make the difference? I'm crazy serious about this and is willing to build a pyramid if necessary.

What can I do, take the CFA, what, should I look somewhere else? Please open up, no matter how distasteful or it may seem.

Thanks!

Hello Mentalist101

Interesting question and dilemma.

CFA would certainly be good way to go.

It will open many job prospects for you, so you can finance your other endeavors, like Cambridge or other studies later.

Also, if you can afford you can take some master studies either at Ghana or somewhere else, where you will be careful to make sure you have A's from math related classes, or from Economics, Statistics, Finance etc. for that matter.

That should work for Cambridge or other top places, because they typically look at most recent studies and most recent transcripts.

However, I suggest to double check that and any other questions you may have, for instance the ones asked here, with Cambridge admission officers and representatives, as well with their Economics professors.

Here I provide for you most important contacts, for inquires:

Graduate admissions:

econgrad.admit@econ.cam.ac.uk

Economics department:

faculty@econ.cam.ac.uk

Professor Sanjeev Goyal, Chair of the Faculty of Economics:

sg472@cam.ac.uk

Also, Cambridge should not be your only choice, there are plenty of great and good schools in UK, Europe, US, Canada, Australia, Asia...depending where you would like to go...and those may not have so stringent admission policies, but will provide you with excellent experience and fulfill your ultimate dreams in Economics field or industry.

You should include for sure some others as well, on your application list.

That being said, still you should apply to top schools like Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, LBS...or where ever your passion drives you, just have back up plan also in case your first choice doesn't work.

Good Luck ! :thumbup:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 15:23
billionaire wrote:

Hello

It will open many job prospects for you, so you can finance your other endeavors, like Cambridge or other studies later.

Also, if you can afford you can take some master studies either at Ghana or somewhere else, where you will be careful to make sure you have A's from math related classes, or from Economics, Statistics, Finance etc. for that matter.

That should work for Cambridge or other top places, because they typically look at most recent studies and most recent transcripts.

However, I suggest to double check that and any other questions you may have, for instance the ones asked here, with Cambridge admission officers and representatives, as well with their Economics professors.

Graduate admissions:

Economics department:

faculty@econ.cam.ac.uk

sg472@cam.ac.uk

Also, Cambridge should not be your only choice, there are plenty of great and good schools in UK, Europe, US, Canada, Australia, Asia...depending where you would like to go...and those may not have so stringent admission policies, but will provide you with excellent experience and fulfill your ultimate dreams in Economics field or industry.

That being said, still you should apply to top schools like Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, LBS...or where ever your passion drives you, just have back up plan also in case your first choice doesn't work.

Wow! thanks Billionaire. I will consider them. Wow! Thanks for the links too.
I just hope I don't bug them too much. I don't know who to ask. Can I ask the chair or he'll be too busy? Who do you advice I query on issues relating to my application? Just your own opinion.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: I don't want to cry! Career Advice Needed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 14:45
Mentalist101 wrote:
billionaire wrote:

Hello

Graduate admissions:

Economics department:

faculty@econ.cam.ac.uk

sg472@cam.ac.uk

Wow! thanks Billionaire. I will consider them. Wow! Thanks for the links too.
I just hope I don't bug them too much. I don't know who to ask. Can I ask the chair or he'll be too busy? Who do you advice I query on issues relating to my application? Just your own opinion.

Hello again Mentalist101

Your job is to bug them and their job is to answer all necessary questions and concerns to prospective applicant/student.

Dont be afraid to ask any question that interest you, just avoid to ask questions already answered on website, in order to appear serious.

Yous should ask graduate admissions anything related to application, admission requirements etc. and they will reply for sure, they will be happy to help.

You can ask them about your profile and also Economics department regarding their recommendations for being more competitive.

Now, chair can reply or not, usually he should at least direct you to others that will need to answer all your questions asked.

That really depends on person, not position, they are all busy, but some of them are kind and will be glad to help you and encourage you.

Some will ignore your email, since they think others should assist you, like above mentioned already.

However, it is important to test them, to see what kind of departments/professors you are dealing with.

I would not want to go somewhere and work with somebody who doesn't even reply to emails and vice versa I would like to go somewhere where department climate is encouraging, kind, caring and friendly.

Also, you will test how much they are interested in someone with your profile.

And that was my point in general, there will be schools that are fit for you and the ones that are not, one way to find out is to contact them and get to know them better.

There will be departments that are genuinely interested in you and the ones who see you just as another number in pool.

Contact them all and compare response and facts.

Good Luck ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 15:40
Wow! Thank you very much for your time. I'll give it a go and see how it goes. Once again, thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 18:12
Mentalist101 is there any way you can accomplish your goal without going to specifically to Cambridge for that specific degree? I mean seriously is MSEcon from Cambridge THE ONLY WAY you can win, be happy, fulfill your purpose and achieve your legacy? Do all other schools require the same?

I would recommend that you first research your career goal before freaking out about this.

I have all my clients do this and it is a very powerful exercise. Get Linked In premium (its free the first 30 days and well worth it even if you have to pay) and send InMail to people who are doing the job you want to be doing post-grad. Write out a general email that you will customize for each recipient; I recommend that you make it easy for them to say yes. Give them a list of 10 questions that show you have done your homework, that are easy for them to answer. Not something like, "do you think I have a shot" that will just piss them off and throw everything in their court. Give them your Skype and 3 times you would be available to chat if they prefer to answer the questions over the phone. They usually opt for this. It's immensely helpful for the goals questions; shows you have done your research, working with good and recent information, have your shiz together.

It's important to know more details if this is in fact what you want....so you can then position yourself in grad school to become a viable and competitive candidate.
If it is not what you want, even if you make this your "stated" goal, it's important to have this information so you can choose the right schools/programs.

Mentalist101 wrote:

Thanks!

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 00:21
Thanks a lot MBAPrepCoach. For your question, here goes the answer: For me, it's more about the knowledge than the repute of the Institution, however I'd like to kill the two birds with one stone. Well, I'll do my research and consider other suitable options.
Once again, thanks for the input.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 02:19
Mentalist101 wrote:
Thanks a lot MBAPrepCoach. For your question, here goes the answer: For me, it's more about the knowledge than the repute of the Institution, however I'd like to kill the two birds with one stone. Well, I'll do my research and consider other suitable options.
Once again, thanks for the input.

Hello Mentalist101, it's the that an institution with a high repute is good, considering the high job prospects, the fact that you'll be in a class with very challenging people which will make the whole environment very didactic, I'll advice that you apply to Cambridge and 'other schools too'. Still go for the CFA, and take steps to patch your holes. Like taking some online math courses.
You'll be alright mate!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 02:20
Also, don't forget to ace the GRE, very important!
I don't want to cry! Career Advice Needed &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 02:20

I don't want to cry! Career Advice Needed

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap