Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:41 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: I got a T10 admit last year. Should I mention that in my essays? [#permalink]
I would also advise against it for the reasons mentioned above, plus the fact that it might make you look flaky in the eyes of adcoms. Schools care about their yield rates, so telling them that you passed on starting school this fall even though you had a T10 admit in hand isn't going to look great, regardless of what personal reasons you may have had.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Re: I got a T10 admit last year. Should I mention that in my essays? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
friskymarkets wrote:
I'd applied to a bunch of schools last year and got just 1 T10 admit. I decided to decline the admit given it wasn't my target school and a change in my personal circumstances as well. Should I mention this is my essays to other schools in T10/T15 range? Especially the ones in which I got waitlisted and will be reapplying to?

What reasoning should I provide that might make my case stronger?

I'd strongly recommend that you don't as it doesn't solve any purpose but can only give a wrong impression about you.
If you are reapplying to b-schools, you will have to write an additional reapplicant essay. Besides your T10 admit not being relevant for the b-schools, the space offered for the reapplicant essay is usually very short (200 to 350 words). You should utilize that properly to write something about how your candidature has improved since you last applied. Adding about a previous admit will make you sound boastful for no reason.

Typically the best reapplicant essays (that will make your case stronger) are the ones that show:
1. growth in job profile and ECAs
2. more maturity
3. better understanding of the program where you are reapplying. Make them see how it fits into your career aspirations, how you will gain from the b-school, and more importantly, how will you contribute to others.
4. better understanding of goals if your goals were vague in the last application.

Hope that helps
GMAT Club Bot