It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I have 1 Question for Wharton/HBS/Yale SOM Alumni and Applicants?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

I have 1 Question for Wharton/HBS/Yale SOM Alumni and Applicants? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 11:15
Should I even bother applying?

Undergrad: Second Tier Ivy (Cornell, Brown, Upenn). Graduation date: 2013
BA: Political Science (International Politics focus); GPA: 3.67, Cumulative GPA: 3.60
GMAT: 720
Econ/Math/Finance: Just Principles of Econ in undergrad, and three "political economy" like classes (3As, 1 B. I was actually a quant guy before undergrad, so I am currently refreshing my math with the hope of taking Micro,Macro, and Multivariable Calc before I apply in November. Is the Calc necessary?
Work Experience: excluding undergrad internships: 1.75 at public sector consulting (doing a great deal of international disarmament/pandemic relief work; (think Deloitte, Accenture, Booz Allen). Prior internship at Bulge Bracket IB.
Leadership: coach to youth development program, pro-bono nonprofit consultant.
Recommendations: 1 professor, 2 supervisors/bosses
Language: Proficient in Spanish, Beginner in French

Last edited by nicholasbentham on 08 Jul 2015, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: I have 1 Question for Wharton/HBS/Yale SOM Alumni and Applicants? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 13:12
The only thing I would suggest is applying in a couple of years. The number of years you have for work experience is very low. All other metrics look good. Feel free to PM me for a more detailed review.

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 39

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 2

Re: I have 1 Question for Wharton/HBS/Yale SOM Alumni and Applicants? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 10:18
Hi,

If you were to apply this year 2015-16, then you would have 3 years of work experience by the time you enroll in September 2016. 3-5 years is ideal and 3 years is no better or worse than 4 or 5. Your undergrad school & grades are what Wharton is looking for. Your GMAT meets Wharton's minimum criteria of 710 (you have a 720). Consulting is common, public consulting is less common and a point of differenciation. I did public sector consulting myself for two years before attending Sloan. You have some nice brand names on your resume with the addition of your internships - this is something Wharton is heavily focused on.

Good extracurriculars - they will be even better if you've continued them post-undergrad.

Overall you seem like a good candidate at Wharton and other top 10 business schools. Deciding whether to apply this year or next comes down to your goals and whether you think you've maxed out the variety of experiences you can have in your current role or whether there is something on the agenda at work that will seriously bolster your candidacy and be a reason to postpone applying.

There are lots of great schools out there for someone like yourself in addition to Wharton. You can read my essay analysis for Wharton here:
http://fxmbaconsulting.com/wharton-mba-essay-analysis-writing-tips-2015-2016-2018/

BA: Political Science (International Politics focus); GPA: 3.67, Cumulative GPA: 3.60
Econ/Math/Finance: Just Principles of Econ in undergrad, and three "political economy" like classes (3As, 1 B. I was actually a quant guy before undergrad, so I am currently refreshing my math with the hope of taking Micro,Macro, and Multivariable Calc before I apply in November. Is the Calc necessary?
Work Experience: excluding undergrad internships: 1.75 at public sector consulting (doing a great deal of international disarmament/pandemic relief work; (think Deloitte, Accenture, Booz Allen). Prior internship at Bulge Bracket IB.

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 17:38
fxMBAconsulting wrote:
Hi,

If you were to apply this year 2015-16, then you would have 3 years of work experience by the time you enroll in September 2016. 3-5 years is ideal and 3 years is no better or worse than 4 or 5. Your undergrad school & grades are what Wharton is looking for. Your GMAT meets Wharton's minimum criteria of 710 (you have a 720). Consulting is common, public consulting is less common and a point of differenciation. I did public sector consulting myself for two years before attending Sloan. You have some nice brand names on your resume with the addition of your internships - this is something Wharton is heavily focused on.

Good extracurriculars - they will be even better if you've continued them post-undergrad.

Overall you seem like a good candidate at Wharton and other top 10 business schools. Deciding whether to apply this year or next comes down to your goals and whether you think you've maxed out the variety of experiences you can have in your current role or whether there is something on the agenda at work that will seriously bolster your candidacy and be a reason to postpone applying.

There are lots of great schools out there for someone like yourself in addition to Wharton. You can read my essay analysis for Wharton here:
http://fxmbaconsulting.com/wharton-mba-essay-analysis-writing-tips-2015-2016-2018/

Thank you so much for the response! At this point, I think I will shoot for at least a 730 on the GMAT and apply to all the schools on my list.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 11:20
Adding a couple thoughts:

If you think you can add 20-30+ points to your GMAT then it could be worth retaking (depending on how much free time you have and the impacts of retaking it on the rest of your application, in case you choose studying over essay drafting at all). That said, 730 will not be much different than 720 for your profile.

I also recommend getting your LORs from your current job and not professors, unless you did something truly remarkable with a professor. Professional references work better.

I work with a lot of consultants every year and the biggest problem consultants have is standing out from the other consultants. It seems obvious on the surface, but take enough time to craft as unique a story as possible.

Good luck! Should you wish to discuss your profile further, send me a note. Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 3

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 17:06
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Adding a couple thoughts:

If you think you can add 20-30+ points to your GMAT then it could be worth retaking (depending on how much free time you have and the impacts of retaking it on the rest of your application, in case you choose studying over essay drafting at all). That said, 730 will not be much different than 720 for your profile.

I also recommend getting your LORs from your current job and not professors, unless you did something truly remarkable with a professor. Professional references work better.

I work with a lot of consultants every year and the biggest problem consultants have is standing out from the other consultants. It seems obvious on the surface, but take enough time to craft as unique a story as possible.

Good luck! Should you wish to discuss your profile further, send me a note. Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Thank you for the reply! Much appreciated

Re: I have 1 Question for Wharton/HBS/Yale SOM Alumni and Applicants?   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2015, 17:06

I have 1 Question for Wharton/HBS/Yale SOM Alumni and Applicants?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap