Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [1]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2852 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: I have become a big time procrastinator for GMAT studies. Need help. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
One thing that leads to a lot of procrastination in any self-improvement pursuit is an "all-or-nothing" kind of attitude (I have to study for 2 hours per day minimum or I have to get up at 5am every day to go to the gym). The lift is too daunting so you either put it off until "a better time to commit to it" (which invariably never comes...you're waiting for the week that's super light at work with no holidays or social engagements, and then maybe you'd start next week but you have to give yourself time to adjust to Daylight Savings so maybe the week after would be better...there's always something) or start and go all-in for a few days then realize you hate the commitment and burn out quickly.

Try making smaller, more-attainable goals for yourself to get into the habit (I'm going to make sure I get to the library at least twice this week, and I'll do 5 practice problems every morning over breakfast instead of scrolling social media) and then get further into it when you either start to see progress or realize you need a little more time to see that progress.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: I have become a big time procrastinator for GMAT studies. Need help. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Prasannathawait,

About 4 weeks ago, you mentioned that you had scored 320 on a practice CAT. Have you taken any additional CATs since then (and if you did, then how did you Score)?

Studying for the GMAT involves a lot of little 'pieces' - so you should not expect to master this process too quickly (and it takes time and repetitions to properly become familiar with everything you'll need to do to earn a high Score). This is all meant to say that studying in small 'chunks', over time, is what most Test Takers need to commit to to improve. You might find it beneficial to focus on the short-term 'gains', such as focusing on a particular question type, getting comfortable doing math by hand, learning grammar rules, practicing Tactics, etc. In addition, investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) might also help give you the structure that you need to be efficient with your studies going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prasannathawait wrote:
Could anyone suggest me some tips which could help me stop my habit of procrastination whenever I sit to study for my GMAT?
Planning to give GMAT in January and I have to touch a 700. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Maybe you could book your GMAT appointment. Just having that date there in your mind might help :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
As a procrastinator, you'll want to do things in pieces at first -- because that's your natural state. Do a few questions here and there -- but don't consider it actual studying.

Instead, specify a date when you will actually study and commit once that happens.

Start off studying sort of "on-the-side" -- then once you commit to kicking things into high-gear -- then it's nothing but studying. Live, breath, and sleep the GMAT for full entire days. And then rest -- and then go at it again - then rest. Then review - and kickass on the exam.

https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

We also recommend a "Divide and Conquer" approach first.

That is - focus on specific sections - like Sentence Correction. Dedicate an entire day - heck, dedicate multiple consecutive days dedicated ONLY to sentence correction.

For example: tomorrow is "Sentence Correction Day" - and don't move on until you feel you've made a significant improvement and have results to show.

If you operate with that kind of work ethic - and apply that process to RC, RC, PS, DS, etc. -- then you will have individually made good progress in each section.

Then from there, it's about mixing and matching different verbal and quant questions - just as you would see them on the actual test. So take practice tests to simulate this mental switch between different question types under time pressure.

For practice, we recommend the practice tests from mba.com as was from supplemental resources such as this one from GMAT Pill:
https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

To learn more about GMAT Pill - read our stories at https://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Prasannathawait,

About 4 weeks ago, you mentioned that you had scored 320 on a practice CAT. Have you taken any additional CATs since then (and if you did, then how did you Score)?

Studying for the GMAT involves a lot of little 'pieces' - so you should not expect to master this process too quickly (and it takes time and repetitions to properly become familiar with everything you'll need to do to earn a high Score). This is all meant to say that studying in small 'chunks', over time, is what most Test Takers need to commit to to improve. You might find it beneficial to focus on the short-term 'gains', such as focusing on a particular question type, getting comfortable doing math by hand, learning grammar rules, practicing Tactics, etc. In addition, investing in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) might also help give you the structure that you need to be efficient with your studies going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks alot for your reply.
Not taken any more CAT as I don't feel confident enough now but surely will do in a week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Use online courses to stay on track.
For example, TTP for Quant and E-gmat for verbal.
They all tell you the statistics.
So you could leverage on that by being a little bit self-critical and to see if you have reached the desired score for each of the sections.

I also was procrastinating it, but by using online platforms, I can track my progress.
P.S Knowing what exact score you want in Quant and Verbal to achieve 700 will be really helpful.

All the best.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22038 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos