Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:46 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33034 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: I have inherited a restaurant from my uncle and need some help with [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Sajjad1994,

I don't think the PS has the statement “if you’re going to have several types of glass, at least one of them must be for red wine.”

Could you please check if the complete PS has been posted?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Re: I have inherited a restaurant from my uncle and need some help with [#permalink]
Expert Reply
yash_prakash wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994,

I don't think the PS has the statement “if you’re going to have several types of glass, at least one of them must be for red wine.”

Could you please check if the complete PS has been posted?

Fixed!

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
please post the official explanation for all the three questions. thanking in advance
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

1. For each of the following statements, select Inferable if the statement is reasonably inferable from the information provided. Otherwise, select Not inferable.

Explanation

Statement 1:
Nebbiolo and Barolo are similar wines, according to the brief wine descriptions. However, Nebbiolo tends to be cheaper than Barolo. Because the restaurant owner has expressed doubts that his customers will readily buy more expensive bottles, it is reasonable to infer that he would choose Nebbiolo over Barolo.

Answer: Inferable

Statement 2:
You cannot infer this. Neither of these is among the easily recognizable wines the restaurant owner mentions, and there’s no further information about price or any other consideration that might help you decide whether one is preferable to the restaurant owner over the other.

Answer: Not inferable

Statement 3:
The wine expert recommends that “if you’re going to have several types of glass, at least one of them must be for red wine.” With this statement he implies that having the proper glasses for red wine is more important than having the proper glasses for white wine. So, if the restaurant were to carry only one kind of glass, the wine expert would recommend that it be a red wine glass—that is, a glass of the bigger, broader kind.

Answer: Inferable
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

2. If the restaurant owner decides to keep the Bordeaux wines on the restaurant’s wine list, which of the following strategies would be most likely to increase the number of customers who order these wines?

Explanation

The restaurant owner believes that his customers order Cabernet and Merlot more than other kinds of red wine because they recognize those names. He also doesn’t believe that they know much about Bordeaux. It is reasonable to infer, therefore, that a way to get around that would be to relate Bordeaux to the more familiar Cabernet and Merlot. Choice (C) describes such a strategy.

Choice (A) would be counter-productive, given the cost-conscious nature of the customers, according to the restaurant owner.

Next, you have no evidence that prestige is something the customers care about, so choice (B) does not appear to be an attractive option.

Choice (D) seems as though it would help, but the restaurant owner does not believe food pairings play so much a role in his customers’ wine choices as does price and familiarity.

Finally, wine list placement does not come up at all in the e-mail exchange, so eliminate choice (E).

Answer: C
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

3. If a customer orders fish and wishes to drink a red wine with it, which of the following types of wine would be the best recommendation?

Explanation

The wine expert says it’s advisable to “serve lighter wines with lighter dishes, such as white meat or fish.” Ifa customer wants red wine with her fish, then the lighter the red the better. All the wines listed in the answer choices, except for Beaujolais, are full- or medium-bodied. Beaujolais is the only one that is specifically described as light. Thus, it would be the best recommendation among the choices provided.

Answer: B
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92990 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11185 posts