Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: I'm so lost, quant problems look like foreign language to me [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi hugdor,

Since your current Test Date is in just over 3 weeks, that amount of time will probably not be enough for you to make the necessary improvements and score in the 600s. As such, you should really think about rescheduling your GMAT. As it stands, you could take the GMAT as scheduled and then take it again later - it will just cost you another $250.

From what you've described, you've been studying inconsistently for about 2 months. That type of effort probably won't be enough to get you into the 600s, but the GMAT is a predictable Test, so if you can make the necessary adjustments to your schedule (and study in a bit more of a consistent and rigorous fashion), then you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Do you have a specific score goal?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hugdor,

It is incredibly difficult to improve at a challenging test like the GMAT without a dedicated study plan. Because you mention beginning your study with Kaplan, I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that you do have the option to repeat our course completely for free through the Higher Score Guarantee. If you would like more details about this, feel free to send me a private message and I would be happy to answer any questions and ensure that you receive the support that you need.

Should you choose to repeat the course, let your instructor know that you were having trouble sticking to a study routine, and he or she will be happy to help you set a plan to make the most of the Kaplan study resources. I expect that a private tutor will also be providing study plan support for you. It will take commitment to consistent study to see the improvement that you want to see, but it is possible!

Best,
Jennifer
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hugdor,

Since your current Test Date is in just over 3 weeks, that amount of time will probably not be enough for you to make the necessary improvements and score in the 600s. As such, you should really think about rescheduling your GMAT. As it stands, you could take the GMAT as scheduled and then take it again later - it will just cost you another $250.

From what you've described, you've been studying inconsistently for about 2 months. That type of effort probably won't be enough to get you into the 600s, but the GMAT is a predictable Test, so if you can make the necessary adjustments to your schedule (and study in a bit more of a consistent and rigorous fashion), then you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Do you have a specific score goal?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

Rich

1. My goal score is 600 plus.
2. I was planning on applying to Round 2 and starting in September 2016.
3. My school choices were LBS, INSEAD, OXFORD SAID, IESE
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hugdor,

Have you taken the time to research the Schools that you're interested in? I ask because you've named some highly competitive Schools and you goal score probably needs to be more specific than (and higher than) 600+. All of this is also meant to say that you probably need far more study time than you've allotted.

Since it's been almost 2 weeks since your original post in this thread, have you taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs during that time? If so, the how have you scored?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hugdor,

Have you taken the time to research the Schools that you're interested in? I ask because you've named some highly competitive Schools and you goal score probably needs to be more specific than (and higher than) 600+. All of this is also meant to say that you probably need far more study time than you've allotted.

Since it's been almost 2 weeks since your original post in this thread, have you taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs during that time? If so, the how have you scored?

Rich

Yes, I took one on the mba site and scored 480 and then took another free CAT and got 510. I understand that with these schools I need to get a score above 650. I have done the research. For my personal sanity, I am aiming to get at least a 600 and jump for joy at that achievement!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hugdor,

With these two recent CAT scores (480 and 510), and your prior CAT scores, it seems like you're consistently scoring around 500. However you've been studying, you haven't been able to make the big adjustments and improvements needed to score 600+.

Your current GMAT is scheduled for 9 days from now, and that is not going to be enough time to get to you the 600+ level. As such, you really should consider pushing back your Test Date. You don't technically have to do so though (you can take the GMAT as scheduled and retake it later - at the cost of another $250).

Based on everything you've described, I think that you're going to need another 2 months of consistent, guided study to hit your immediate score goal. Beyond learning/practicing new Tactics, you're also going to have to work to fix whatever 'bad habits' you've developed during your initial studies.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot