It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I missed 2 questions on my GMAT, how much would it reduce my score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.86
I missed 2 questions on my GMAT, how much would it reduce my score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 05:28
Hi,

I just gave my GMAT and got a score of 710. But I missed the last 2 questions in verbal. I wanted to know how much would have my score changed even if I had attempted them and got them wrong.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3678 [2], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: I missed 2 questions on my GMAT, how much would it reduce my score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi KarthikPrasad23,

When you say that you "missed" the last 2 Verbal questions in that section, do you mean that you did not answer them at all? On the second-to-last question, did you bubble ANY of the answers before time ran out?

While Test Takers are penalized for any question that they leave unanswered, the impact that those last two unanswered questions would have on your score would be relatively small. Unfortunately, it's difficult to put an exact number to it, but the likely 'damage' from that situation would likely be a drop of 10-20 points from your overall score. However, there is also the issue of how you were performing right BEFORE you ran out of time. For example, if you were low on time and rushed through 10 questions (and got most - or all - of them wrong) and THEN you didn't answer the last 2 questions, then the overall impact on your score would be much larger.

All things being equal, a 710 is still an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can apply to any Business Schools that interest you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3678 [2], given: 173

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 271 [1], given: 62

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: I missed 2 questions on my GMAT, how much would it reduce my score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 14:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We don't really know for sure, since the GMAC won't give us a lot of hard numbers. They've given us the following data, which isn't that useful for you, but might be interesting (also, note that it's at least a couple of years old):

- If Student X would normally get a 70th percentile Quant score by answering all 37 questions,
- Then, if Student X took the test in the same way, but instead, ran out of time at the end and had to make 5 random guesses, he'd get a 64th percentile Quant score on average,
- Or if he took the test in the same way, but ran out of time at the end and left five questions blank, he'd get a 55th percentile Quant score on average.

That doesn't necessarily mean that each blank question is worth a -3 percentile point penalty - the algorithm is much more complicated than that and it definitely depends on how well you were doing up until that point. But that gives you a feel for about the size of the penalty, according to the GMAC.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 271 [1], given: 62

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 58

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
I missed 2 questions on my GMAT, how much would it reduce my score? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 13:55
Top Contributor
2 questions wrong is such a small number of incorrectly answered questions that it doesn't really matter where you get them wrong, or whether they are easy/medium/hard questions--you should still earn an amazing score!

From the ESRs I've seen, only 2 wrong on Quant is usually enough for a perfect 51/51.

I've personally gotten 2 wrong on Verbal in the past, and I scored a 47/51. Here are some current predictions for Verbal:

0 wrong = 51/41
1 wrong = 48/51
2 wrong = 47/51

etc.

1 wrong on Verbal used to be a 49/51, but apparently the curve has shifted a bit in recent years.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and online via Skype, since 2002.

GMAT Action Plan - McElroy Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 58

I missed 2 questions on my GMAT, how much would it reduce my score?   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2017, 13:55

I missed 2 questions on my GMAT, how much would it reduce my score?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap