Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: IB - BBB /Consulting - Big 3 recruiting : Visa issues [#permalink]
Pradeep

I believe L1 is for intra-company transfers.So you can work in the company which sponsored your L1.But there might be restrictions on working at client locations.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
https://www.workforce.com/section/06/feature/26/20/13/

Quote:
Harvard Business School’s Class of 2010 will send 900 new MBAs out into the job market, but one-third who are non-U.S. citizens will be effectively off limits for recruiters from Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs.
All three companies recruit on Harvard’s campus but now fall under new restrictions on H-1B visas, the primary vehicle for hiring foreign students graduating from U.S. universities. The new H-1B restrictions, which are part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 signed into law on February 17, apply to any company receiving Troubled Assets Relief Program funds.

So I hope no foreign students wanted to work in investment banking in the US because you won't be able to.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V40
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
https://www.workforce.com/section/06/feature/26/20/13/

Quote:
Harvard Business School’s Class of 2010 will send 900 new MBAs out into the job market, but one-third who are non-U.S. citizens will be effectively off limits for recruiters from Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs.
All three companies recruit on Harvard’s campus but now fall under new restrictions on H-1B visas, the primary vehicle for hiring foreign students graduating from U.S. universities. The new H-1B restrictions, which are part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 signed into law on February 17, apply to any company receiving Troubled Assets Relief Program funds.

So I hope no foreign students wanted to work in investment banking in the US because you won't be able to.

Yep, Either have to take up schooling in Europe or give up on IB and focus on MC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V40
Send PM
fall09 wrote:
Pradeep

I believe L1 is for intra-company transfers.So you can work in the company which sponsored your L1.But there might be restrictions on working at client locations.

Right. So technically a BBB can hire a student, place them in the London office and after a year file L1 and bring the candidate to the US. This will be an intra-company transfer, yes. L1 can only be filed after an employee has served in a company for a year. Am no immigration expert but I think this can be done. Then again, I don't know the synergies between the different locations of a BBB. Also, why would a BBB take the pains of going through all these hassles when they can just hire domestic talent that is on par with the international pool.

-pradeep
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
pbanavara wrote:
fall09 wrote:
Pradeep

Right. So technically a BBB can hire a student, place them in the London office and after a year file L1 and bring the candidate to the US. This will be an intra-company transfer, yes. L1 can only be filed after an employee has served in a company for a year. Am no immigration expert but I think this can be done. Then again, I don't know the synergies between the different locations of a BBB. Also, why would a BBB take the pains of going through all these hassles when they can just hire domestic talent that is on par with the international pool.

-pradeep

Answer is they wouldn't except maybe on a case-by-case basis.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
pbanavara wrote:
-pradeep

So, it looks like that is exactly what the banks are doing to skirt the limitations on hiring internationals from US business schools. https://online.wsj.com/article/SB123975190063718725.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
With a L1, you cant jump jobs. For ex - if you are working for AIG on a L1 sponsored for them, if you get laid off or want to move on to greener pastures, you simply cant. I am facing this issue, cant tell you how frustrating it is!!

On a sidenote, i read that the H1b/TARP fund clause has a 2 yr sunset clause.

fall09 wrote:
Pradeep

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Firstly, there is no reason why they cannot stretch the two year clause.

Second, the current remedies are being put in place for people they have already recruited. The consequence is that this will influence recruiting approaches (it actually did last year - Lehman didn't extend an offer to my friend due to visa concerns). I think at the end of the summer, you might well find a lot of banks don't extend offers to the internationals in any way like what they did last year. I maintain that the TARP policy is a significant concern for internationals.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts