It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 00:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IE vs. ESADE

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which school should I attend?

• 66% [2]
  • 33% [1]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
GPA: 3
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
IE vs. ESADE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 07:41
I have been lucky enough to receive admits + scholarships from the two schools I applied to — the IE IMBA and the ESADE MBA. Here's my profile and a breakdown of the pros/cons:

I'm a Canadian male who is 31 years old. I have 7 years of marketing experience in the entertainment, technology and marketing/advertising agency industry.

Post-MBA Goals
My Post-MBA goals are to remain in marketing, preferably in either the technology, pharma/healthcare, or CPG industry. My backup goal would be management consulting at any of the major firms (it wouldn't be MBB or bust for me). In terms of location, my first preference is to work abroad in the EU, Middle East or Asia but I also would not be opposed to returning to Canada as I know that VISA's are an issue for anyone trying to change locations. I will be exploring options for both marketing and consulting AND both Canada / abroad during my studies.

IE - 6,800 EUR Scholarship
Pros
- Higher ranked than ESADE
- Employment report shows higher salaries across the board
- Larger class sizes = more alumni
- There is an IE office in Toronto that I can leverage for support should I come home empty handed job-wise

Cons
- After the scholarship difference, it is 10,000 EUR more expensive than ESADE
- No internship element of the program
- I have not been impressed with their responsiveness and treatment throughout the admissions process. I am worried that this will continue during my studies, especially regarding the Career Centre

ESADE - 10,000 EUR Scholarship
Pros
- Internship opportunity if I choose the 15 month program
- Better location in Barcelona for technology startups, biotech and pharma industries
- With the scholarship difference, it is 10,000 EUR less expensive than IE
- Smaller class size means more attention from Career Centre, faculty etc.
- I have been incredibly impressed with ESADE's responsiveness and general demeanor during the admissions process. I certainly feel more wanted there and less like a number.

Cons
- Lower ranked than IE
- Employment report shows lower salaries across the board vs. IE
- Smaller class size = less alumni
- Campus is a longer commute from downtown vs. IE

So, which would you attend? To be perfectly honest, I am leaning towards ESADE but the salary numbers are startlingly less than IE. Can anyone comment about whether this is actually the case? Or is IE juicing their employment report somehow? I find it somewhat hard to believe that IE students are paid 10,000 EUR more on average than ESADE students for similar positions considering how close the schools are in the rankings. Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27157 [0], given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: IE vs. ESADE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 15:36
I have no good knowledge of the IE program but had a good friend attend the ESADE. It is in Barcelona and Catalonia which makes it somewhat separate from Spain. If you do the 15 month program, you have an option for an internship and also a study-abroad if you wish for that.

There is a formidable list of exchange programs including Ivey, McGill, and Schulich in Canada (though most schools try to send you not to your home country and won't let you go to Canada) and a great list of US, Asian, and other European Programs if you so desire: http://www.esade.edu/ftmba/eng/customiz ... -programme

I would recommend going into that country region for your study abroad semester. At the same time, i can see where you may not need the 12-month experience. You are staying in your field; you have sufficient work experience, and may not need an extra year for an internship and to figure things out.

However, looking at the FT rankings, IE is ranked a lot higher than ESADE - why is that? That's potentially a good question to ask the ESADE students and grads and potentially Adcom.

I see we have only one review of IE and nothing on ESADE... https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/ie-68

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
GPA: 3
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
IE vs. ESADE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS
Very late update, but wanted to say that I ended up choosing ESADE. The main factor was financing as I was able to get a Prodigy loan for 100% of the ESADE tuition and only 75% of the IE tuition. Since I was not able to secure any additional financing in my home country, I could only afford to go with ESADE. However, for students considering IE this should be something to keep in mind as securing loans for international MBA's can be quite difficult.

In a vacuum, however, I likely would've chosen ESADE anyway. I found their staff and admissions team to be much more helpful and responsive than IE's. I also preferred the flexibility of the program and the ability to do an Internship + Exchange if I wished. From all of my research I believe that IE and ESADE are much closer reputation-wise than the rankings let on, so for other students choosing between the two my advice would be to simply trust your intuition and go with the school that you feel fits you the best. It seems somewhat clear to me that IESE is a tier above IE and ESADE in terms of Spanish schools, but I had no interest in a 2-year program and was a bit old for the IESE age range so they were never in my consideration set.

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: IE vs. ESADE [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 12:35
CW32 wrote:
Very late update, but wanted to say that I ended up choosing ESADE. The main factor was financing as I was able to get a Prodigy loan for 100% of the ESADE tuition and only 75% of the IE tuition. Since I was not able to secure any additional financing in my home country, I could only afford to go with ESADE. However, for students considering IE this should be something to keep in mind as securing loans for international MBA's can be quite difficult.

In a vacuum, however, I likely would've chosen ESADE anyway. I found their staff and admissions team to be much more helpful and responsive than IE's. I also preferred the flexibility of the program and the ability to do an Internship + Exchange if I wished. From all of my research I believe that IE and ESADE are much closer reputation-wise than the rankings let on, so for other students choosing between the two my advice would be to simply trust your intuition and go with the school that you feel fits you the best. It seems somewhat clear to me that IESE is a tier above IE and ESADE in terms of Spanish schools, but I had no interest in a 2-year program and was a bit old for the IESE age range so they were never in my consideration set.

Thank you so much for returning to post on your final decision outcome! Congratulations and enjoy Barcelona!
I had a chance to visit two years and go - really enjoyed my time, culture, architecture, and food. Good luck with your next chapter!

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: IE vs. ESADE   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 12:35