GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

IE vs Oxford

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
IE vs Oxford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 08:33
IE vs Oxford
Putting aside my personal circumstances etc. I would like canvas for opinions on this situation. I've been accepted to both IE and Oxford(Said Biz School). They are ranked 8 and 33 respectively on FT rankings 2017. This would be a no brainer were it not for Oxford's brand name.

Which would you choose if you're not planning to work in N or S.America and why?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164
Re: IE vs Oxford  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 11:34
Rankings don't mean anything in this case; obviously pick Oxford

NYC based Verbal and Writing tutor; taking clients pro bono atm

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 11:38
also, I just looked at FT ranking for 2017

according to it, IE is ranked higher than Booth, Kellogg, MIT, Berkeley, Yale, Dartmouth... what a **** joke
this ranking obviously must be weighting softer measures like class cohesiveness or social impact, because otherwise there's no way to rationalize this rating

NYC based Verbal and Writing tutor; taking clients pro bono atm

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 17:59
regmapaure - congrats on your admits! It is good you are doing your research. The international rankings are indeed sometimes not very transparent and confusing since international schools don't often release their stats and rankings, as the result, have to deal with that void and rank schools based on information they can gather, trust, and make comparable.

However, you can usually get a glimpse of reality by checking the class profile and comparing average GMAT scores, and things like that. The more competitive the school the higher average GMAT Score it will have for example (the only exception I can think of is IMD). Anyway, another place to research would be the Business School Reviews: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/oxford-25 vs. https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/ie-68

Oxford has had some growing pains - it is a fairly young program with a very strong umbrella name, and the program has not been meeting its high brand name expectations. On the other hand IE, has been fairly highly rated for quite a while and attracts a certain caliber of folks.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/said-211/dec ... acker.html (scroll to bottom)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ie-mba-223/d ... acker.html (scroll to bottom)

I would also troll some of the employment report (again look at them with some eye for folks from your country - if you are from Latin America for example, what did most folks do from LATAM? Or if you are from Asia, did most folks stay in EU, move to US, or go back to Asia?)

Finally, I would get in touch through your network with current students at either program (and you also can ask the AdCom for their recommendation but I would find someone through LinkedIn or your friends). Ultimately, a big part of the MBA value is placement help and that's what you want to research with current students and recent alums.

Also, a big part is what and where you want to do after you graduate. Being in UK vs. Spain is different in terms of Work permits, employment opportunities (few are in Spain proper) and your language skills - e.g. if you don't know French, you probably have a harder time recruiting in France, whichever school you go for.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Re: IE vs Oxford &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jul 2018, 17:59

IE vs Oxford

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap