Last visit was: 24 Jul 2024, 11:54 It is currently 24 Jul 2024, 11:54
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 126
Own Kudos [?]: 2115 [53]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94607
Own Kudos [?]: 643599 [14]
Given Kudos: 86737
Send PM
General Discussion
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 11 May 2012
Status:Juggg..Jugggg Go!
Posts: 159
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [1]
Given Kudos: 239
Location: India
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
I hope you will be patient with me since it's been a long morning, but here is my reasoning, even after sifting through the various related threads:

We are given that 2/5 of the students are business majors so (2/5)(Males+Females) = Business majors. Expanded, we have Business majors = (2/5)(Males)+(2/5)(Females) = Business majors. Therefore 2/5 males are business majors and 2/5 females are business majors.

Statement 1 just repeats that (2/5)(Males) are business majors

Statement 2 says that 200 females are business majors. We can equate that (2/5)(Females) = 200 from the expanded information provided and have the final form be Females = (5/2)(200) = 500.

For the life of me I cannot see how statement 2 is insufficient unless I am confused about how the information they gave us is constructed as stated.
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94607
Own Kudos [?]: 643599 [1]
Given Kudos: 86737
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Injuin wrote:
I hope you will be patient with me since it's been a long morning, but here is my reasoning, even after sifting through the various related threads:

We are given that 2/5 of the students are business majors so (2/5)(Males+Females) = Business majors. Expanded, we have Business majors = (2/5)(Males)+(2/5)(Females) = Business majors. Therefore 2/5 males are business majors and 2/5 females are business majors.

Statement 1 just repeats that (2/5)(Males) are business majors

Statement 2 says that 200 females are business majors. We can equate that (2/5)(Females) = 200 from the expanded information provided and have the final form be Females = (5/2)(200) = 500.

For the life of me I cannot see how statement 2 is insufficient unless I am confused about how the information they gave us is constructed as stated.


The red part is not correct. 2/5 (40%) of the students are business majors does not mean that 40% of males and 40% of females are business majors.

For example: say there are 300 males and 200 females (total of 500 students), then there will be 2/5*500=200 business majors. So, it could be that 100% of females and 0% of males are business majors.

Hope it's clear.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
I can see how that situation will make what I said incorrect, but then I do not know how I would setup a question like this in the future. I was under the impression that students = males + females. Therefore if 2/5 students are business majors, then 2/5 (males + females) are business majors. What rule did I violate to cause me to tunnel vision into thinking that the aforementioned equation could be expanded into (2/5)(males) + (2/5)(females)?
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94607
Own Kudos [?]: 643599 [0]
Given Kudos: 86737
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Injuin wrote:
I can see how that situation will make what I said incorrect, but then I do not know how I would setup a question like this in the future. I was under the impression that students = males + females. Therefore if 2/5 students are business majors, then 2/5 (males + females) are business majors. What rule did I violate to cause me to tunnel vision into thinking that the aforementioned equation could be expanded into (2/5)(males) + (2/5)(females)?


Again: 2/5(Female+Male)=Business Majors CAN be expanded as 2/5*F+2/5*M=Business Majors, but it does not mean that 2/5 of males and 2/5 of females are business majors.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 05 Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
Ah, I ended up thinking of variables as words. Thank you for the clarification.
Director
Director
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 506
Own Kudos [?]: 3411 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Assume male students =X
Female students = y

total Biz majors = (2/5)(X+y)
non-Biz majors =(1- 2/5)(X+Y) = (3/5)(x+y)

statement 1: 2/5 of males students are business majors ..which means 3/5 of male students are non-business majors
= 3X/5
non-biz females=(3/5)(X+Y)-3X/5=(3/5)Y

no information on actual number of students

not sufficient

statement 2: 200 female students are business majors.

no information on non-biz majors female students

not sufficient

statement 1&2: 3/5 of male students are non-biz majors and 200 female students are biz majors
non-biz females= (3/5)Y
biz females = Y-(3/5)Y=(2/5)Y
(2/5)Y=200
=>Y=500
thus females are 500


sufficient

Hence C
Current Student
Joined: 19 Jan 2018
Posts: 105
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [2]
Given Kudos: 3159
Send PM
If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Stiv wrote:
If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, what is the number of female students at College C?

(1) 2/5 of the male students at College C are business majors.
(2) 200 of the female students at College C are business majors.


Look at Picture:
Statement 1: Not Enough Info, but we can infer that Total Females = (X-Y)
Statement 2: Not Enough Info

Both statements Together:

\(\frac{2}{5}\)Y + 200 = \(\frac{2}{5}\)X

200 = \(\frac{2}{5}X\) - \(\frac{2}{5}Y\) (Factor out \(\frac{2}{5}\))

200 = \(\frac{2}{5}(X-Y)\)

\(200*\frac{5}{2} = (X-Y)\)

\(500 = (X-Y)\)
Attachments

You are already dead.png
You are already dead.png [ 28.15 KiB | Viewed 12393 times ]

Tutor
Joined: 04 Aug 2010
Posts: 1328
Own Kudos [?]: 3235 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Stiv wrote:
If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, what is the number of female students at College C?

(1) 2/5 of the male students at College C are business majors.
(2) 200 of the female students at College C are business majors.


Statement 1:
40% OF THE MALE STUDENTS are business majors.
When the female students are added in, we get the information given in the prompt:
40% OF ALL THE STUDENTS are business majors.
Since the percentage does not change when the female students are included, the percentage for the female students must be the same as the percentage for the male students.
Thus:
40% OF THE FEMALE STUDENTS must be business majors.
No way to determine the number of female students.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
If 100% of the female students are business majors, then the total number of female students = 200.
If 50% of the female students are business majors, then the total number of female students = 400.
Since the total number of female students can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Since the 200 female business students represent 40% of the total number of female students, we get:
200 = 0.4F
2000 = 4F
500 = F
SUFFICIENT.

Intern
Intern
Joined: 25 Sep 2020
Posts: 9
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
GRE 1: Q168 V153
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
Lets say Total students = x
BM = 2x/5
NBM = 3x/5
M(Males) + F(Females) = x

Statement 1 :
(2M/5)+F(BM)=(2x/5) = Not sufficient

Statement 2 :
M + 200 = 2x/5 = Not Sufficient

Combining the 2

2M/5 + 200 = 2x/5
Multiplying by 5/2

M + 500 = X

No. of females = 500

Sufficient.

Therefore C is the correct answer
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 34067
Own Kudos [?]: 853 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If 2/5 of the students at College C are business majors, wha [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94607 posts