It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:16

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If 30 percent of the members of a certain organization are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 503 [1], given: 197

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
If 30 percent of the members of a certain organization are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2014, 01:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (01:27) correct 35% (01:25) wrong based on 356 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If 30 percent of the members of a certain organization are women and 3/8 of the members of the organization are married men, which of the following statements concerning the membership must be true?

I. The number of women in the organization is greater than the number of married men in the organization.

II. The number of women in the organization is greater than the number of unmarried men in the organization.

III. The number of married men in the organization is greater than the number of unmarried men in the organization.

a. None
b. I only
c. II only
d. III only
e. I and III
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Kudos [?]: 503 [1], given: 197

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 197

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2014, 01:37
I. The number of women in the organization is greater than the number of married men in the organization.
# percentage of women in organization = 30% and percentage of married men in organization= 3/8 = 37.5%. Not True

II. The number of women in the organization is greater than the number of unmarried men in the organization.
# percentage of women in organization = 30% and percentage of married men in organization= 70-37.5 = 32.5%. Not True
III. The number of married men in the organization is greater than the number of unmarried men in the organization.
# percentage of married men in organization = 32.5% and percentage of married men in organization= 37.5%. True

Ans: D

Please contact me for super inexpensive quality private tutoring

My journey V46 and 750 -> http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-journey-to-46-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Last edited by NoHalfMeasures on 23 Jun 2014, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 197

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135508 [3], given: 12697

Re: If 30 percent of the members of a certain organization are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2014, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
MensaNumber wrote:
If 30 percent of the members of a certain organization are women and 3/8 of the members of the organization are married men, which of the following statements concerning the membership must be true?

a. None
b. I only
c. II only
d. III only
e. I and III

3/10 (30%) of the members are women and 3/8 of the members are married men. Let the total numbers of members is 80 (the LCM of 10 and 8). Then there are:

3/10*80 = 24 women;
80 - 24 = 56 men;

3/8*80 = 30 married men;
56 - 30 = 26 unmarried men.

So, only option III is true.

Answer: D.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135508 [3], given: 12697

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 02:02
In the solution above aren't we assuming that the club doesn't not have other members like children?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6114 [0], given: 121

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 02:07
akamkhalia wrote:
In the solution above aren't we assuming that the club doesn't not have other members like children?

Posted from my mobile device

hi akamkhalia,
if not specified otherwise, they will be part of the unmarried/married groups

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6114 [0], given: 121

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 02:42
-----------------Men----------Women------Total

Married---------3/8x--------------------------

Unmarried-----13/40x------------------------

Total----------7/10x---------3/10x-----------x

St.1. 3/8>3/10, so WRONG

St.2. 7/10-3/8=13/40>3/10, WRONG

St.3. 3/8>13/40, RIGHT

D

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 41

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 00:34
this is rathe difficult

one of mistake for non native, who think they are good at math is study of hard questions. never study too hard question. ignore some very hard questions in gmatprep . on the test, you can be wrong at two questions of 37 questions to get maximum score of 51.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 562 [0], given: 75

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 01:20
MensaNumber wrote:

a. None
b. I only
c. II only
d. III only
e. I and III

Let total strength of the office be 800 .
Women = 240
Men= 560

Married Men = 300
Not married men = 260

Answer D .
Please see attached image.
Attachments

gmatclub.jpg
gmatclub.jpg [ 24.91 KiB | Viewed 3759 times ]

Thanks,
Lucky

Kudos [?]: 562 [0], given: 75

Current Student
S

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 14:14
Bunuel wrote:

3/10 (30%) of the members are women and 3/8 of the members are married men. Let the total numbers of members is 80 (the LCM of 10 and 8). Then there are:

3/10*80 = 24 women;
80 - 24 = 56 men;

3/8*80 = 30 married men;
56 - 30 = 26 unmarried men.

So, only option III is true.

Answer: D.

Bunuel: Thanks for the solution. Even I did this by picking numbers. But, how do we be sure that the numbers that we have picked on will help us rule out all of the possible conditions mentioned in (I), (II), and (III). Unless and until we get a "No" in each case, we might feel that we have missed a case. How do we ensure that we have not missed a case and can mark the answer with certainity when taking an example in this question.
Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 79

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2016, 16:34
NoHalfMeasures wrote:

a. None
b. I only
c. II only
d. III only
e. I and III

I. If there are 80 total members: woman = 3/10*80 = 24 and man = 3/8*80 = 30. False
II. Same logic, except now you're comparing same 30% of women vs 5/8 men. Can be false again if total of 80 is used.
III. 3/10 woman and 3/8 married man => 24/80 woman and 30/80 man, you have 26/80 unaccounted for. Even if all 26/80 are unmarried man, you still have 30>26. So must be true.

D.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1015 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 15:33
NoHalfMeasures wrote:

a. None
b. I only
c. II only
d. III only
e. I and III

Let’s say the total number of members is 800. Since 30% of the members are women, there are 800(0.3) = 240 women and 800 - 240 = 560 men in the organization. Moreover, 3/8 of the members are married men; therefore, there are 800(3/8) = 300 married men and 560 - 300 = 260 unmarried men in the organization. Let’s go over each Roman numeral in light of these figures:

Roman numeral I: The number of women in the organization is greater than the number of married men in the organization.

Since we found the number of women to be 240 and the number of married men to be 300, we see that Roman numeral I is false.

Roman Numeral II: The number of women in the organization is greater than the number of unmarried men in the organization.

Since we found the number of women to be 240 and the number of unmarried man to be 260, we see that Roman numeral II is false.

Roman Numeral III: The number of married men in the organization is greater than the number of unmarried men in the organization.

We have found that there are 300 married men and 260 unmarried men in the organization; therefore, Roman numeral III is true.

Alternate solution:

Since 30% of the members are women, it must mean 70% of the member are men. Since 3/8 of the members are married men and 3/8 = 37.5%, 37.5% of the members are married men, and thus 70% - 37.5% = 32.5% of the members must be unmarried men.

So, women = 30%, married men = 37.5%, and unmarried men = 32.5%.

Looking at the statements given in the Roman numerals, we see that only III is true.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 1015 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V40
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 22:54
I got the answer by picking numbers, but the number for the total number of people that i picked was 24. I got this my seeing the 30% and the 8 and somehow figured that 24 would be a good number (3*8). While i did get this correct, I want to know if went about picking the numbers incorrectly?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135508 [1], given: 12697

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
calappa1234 wrote:
I got the answer by picking numbers, but the number for the total number of people that i picked was 24. I got this my seeing the 30% and the 8 and somehow figured that 24 would be a good number (3*8). While i did get this correct, I want to know if went about picking the numbers incorrectly?

Thanks!

24 might not be the best number to choose.

3/10 (30%) of the members are women and 3/8 of the members are married men. We should choose a number for which both 3/10 and 3/8 would be an integer. So, it's better to choose for the total numbers of members 80, which is the LCM of 10 and 8.

For more on picking numbers check the links below:
Backsolving on GMAT Math
How to Plug in Numbers on GMAT Math Questions
Why Approximate?
GMAT Math Strategies — Estimation, Rounding and other Shortcuts
The Power of Estimation for GMAT Quant
The 4 Math Strategies Everyone Must Master, Part 1 (1. Test Cases and 2. Choose Smart Numbers.)
The 4 Math Strategies Everyone Must Master, part 2 (3. Work Backwards and 4. Estimate)
Intelligent Guessing on GMAT
How to Avoid Tedious Calculations on the Quantitative Section of the GMAT
GMAT Tip of the Week: No Calculator? No Problem.
The Importance of Sorting Answer Choices on the GMAT
Identifying the Correct Answer on GMAT Quant Questions
How to Manage Unmanageable Numbers on the GMAT
Should You Double Check Your Answer Choices on the GMAT?

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135508 [1], given: 12697

Re: If 30 percent of the members of a certain organization are   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 23:36

If 30 percent of the members of a certain organization are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap