It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 128992 [0], given: 12185

If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 01:40
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:47) correct 35% (01:00) wrong based on 57 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must be true?

I. n is parallel to p
II. q is parallel to r
III. b = 65

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
2017-08-08_1239.png
2017-08-08_1239.png [ 16.09 KiB | Viewed 785 times ]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128992 [0], given: 12185

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 391

Reviews Badge
If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 02:28
Bunuel wrote:

I. n is parallel to p
II. q is parallel to r
III. b = 65

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
2017-08-08_1239.png

It should be A

I- For us to conclusively say n and p are parallel, the angles both lines impart on line q need to be proven parallel.
II- Again, we do not know if n and p are parallel so we cannot use their equal angles to suggest q and r are parallel.
III- If line m is perpendicular to q, the internal angles of the triangle would be 90, 65 and \(\angle b = 25\) (sum of internal angles of a triangle is 180) but we have no evidence that suggests m is perpendicular to q.

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

Last edited by jedit on 10 Aug 2017, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 391

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 841 [0], given: 3

Re: If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 10:54
Bunuel wrote:

I. n is parallel to p
II. q is parallel to r
III. b = 65

(A) None
(B) I only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
2017-08-08_1239.png

Since we don’t know the measure of the interior angle of the triangle that also contains angles a and b, there is no way we can determine the measure of angle b, even when we are given angle a = 25. Thus, Roman numeral III is not true. This eliminates answer choices D and E.

Now we are left with statements I and II. Since we need to determine the statement or statements that MUST BE true, let’s see if it’s possible for them not to be true. That is, let’s assume the contrary.

The contrary to statement I is: lines n and p are not parallel. If they are not parallel, then the angle formed by lines p and q that is the corresponding angle to angle a would not be 25 degrees.

The contrary to statement II is: lines q and r are not parallel. If they are not parallel, then the angle formed by lines p and q that is the alternate interior angle to angle a would not be 25 degrees.

We can see that the angle formed by lines p and q in the contrary to statement I is the same angle in the contrary to statement II. Since it is possible that it would not be 25 degrees, it is possible that lines n and p are not parallel and lines q and r are not parallel. Thus, statements I and II don’t have to be true.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 841 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 454

Re: If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 08:16
My answer was E.
i think i am wrong,, because i thought the upper left triangle would be a right triangle

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 454

Re: If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 08:16

If a = 25 in the figure above, which of the following statements must

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap