It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3698 [7], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi erikvm,

This is a "layered" concept and it's easy to get "lost" in this prompt because you're used to solving for the final values in most Quant questions.

Here, the 3 "final" numbers are (X - A), (X - B) and (X - C), but the question is NOT asking for any of the 3 final numbers...it's asking for a "piece" of one of them....the value of B.

To answer it, you have to ignore the A, B and C for a moment and go back to the prior "term"

X^3 - X

This can be factored down into 3 pieces. Here's how...

X^3 - X

First, factor out an X...

(X)(X^2 - 1)

Next, reverse-FOIL the other term....
(X)(X+1)(X-1)

Since we're multiplying 3 terms, it doesn't matter what the order is. I'm going to put them in order from least to greatest...

(X-1)(X)(X+1)

Now, looking at THIS, you can figure out what A, B and C are. Since A>B>C, then....

A = +1
B = 0
C = -1

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3698 [7], given: 173

Board of Directors
P

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 209

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 19:16
i solved it this way:
x^3 - x = x(x+1)(x-1)=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

I did not try to solve which one is bigger/smaller
x = x-b always, since C is the middle number
for x=x-b to be true, b must be 0.

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 209

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

Schools: Rotman '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 18:31
There is some bit of knowledge I'm missing. How are we supposed to innately know that (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)=(x+1)(x-0)(x-1)?

I'm even more confused after reading through these approaches. When I attempted to 'pull' x out of x^3-x I got x^2(x−1) which is different that the approach I'm seeing here.

Thanks in advance

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 34

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1790 [1], given: 797

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
Anonamy wrote:
There is some bit of knowledge I'm missing. How are we supposed to innately know that (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)=(x+1)(x-0)(x-1)?

I'm even more confused after reading through these approaches. When I attempted to 'pull' x out of x^3-x I got x^2(x−1) which is different that the approach I'm seeing here.

Thanks in advance

You need to practice algebra a bit more.

\(x^3-x = x*x*x-x=x(x^2-1) = x*(x+1)(x-1)\) as \((a^2-b^2)=(a+b)(a-b)\)

So once you are able to get to \(x^3-x = x*(x+1)(x-1)\), you are now set to compare it with \((x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\)

Thus, you get \(x*(x+1)(x-1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) ---> \((x-0)(x+1)(x-1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) ---> \((x-0)(x- (-1))(x-1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\), giving you 3 values of -1,0,1 .

As a<b<c, b can only be = 0.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 1790 [1], given: 797

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 72

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 16:53
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi erikvm,

This is a "layered" concept and it's easy to get "lost" in this prompt because you're used to solving for the final values in most Quant questions.

Here, the 3 "final" numbers are (X - A), (X - B) and (X - C), but the question is NOT asking for any of the 3 final numbers...it's asking for a "piece" of one of them....the value of B.

To answer it, you have to ignore the A, B and C for a moment and go back to the prior "term"

X^3 - X

This can be factored down into 3 pieces. Here's how...

X^3 - X

First, factor out an X...

(X)(X^2 - 1)

Next, reverse-FOIL the other term....
(X)(X+1)(X-1)

Since we're multiplying 3 terms, it doesn't matter what the order is. I'm going to put them in order from least to greatest...

(X-1)(X)(X+1)

Now, looking at THIS, you can figure out what A, B and C are. Since A>B>C, then....

A = +1
B = 0
C = -1

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Rich

What I found confusing about this problem is that we are not told that the left side of the equation is equal to 0 (x^3-x=0), so how do we know to begin factoring x^3-x here into x(x-1)(x=1)? Am I missing something really basic here?

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 72

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3698 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 09:16
Hi Schnauss,

The 'act' of factoring does not require an equation - it's just a way of re-writing information that you've been given.

For example, if you're told that you have 'two boxes that each contain the same number of widgets', then you can write that as (2)(W)... even though you don't have an actual equation yet. If I wanted to, I could rewrite 2W as (W + W). Certain GMAT questions just come down to organizing information in a way that makes it easy to answer the given question, so you should think about how you choose to take notes and 'translate' sentences ('your way' might not be the only way, and there might be additional 'steps' that you can take to simplify what you have written).

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3698 [0], given: 173

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 06:51
If you dont know the algebra for this most probably you cannot solve this question.

x^3 - x = x(x^2 - 1) . GMAT algebra fundamentals require you to know/memorise that x^2 - 1 = (x-1) * (x+1)

So long story short: x^3 - x = x * (x-1) * (x+1) = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)

x * (x-1) * (x+1) = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)

We know that a > b > c

Hence (x-c) > (x-b) > (x-a) . This is because in this question x is a constant rather than a variable. So the maximum value of any of the three operation, (x-c), (x-b) or (x-a) is the one that uses the SMALLEST value (i.e. c):

Then you just do the mapping

out of x, (x-1) and (x+1) the (x+1) has the GREATEST value. Hence (x+1) = (x - c) => x+1 = x -c which gives c = -1
out of x, (x-1) and (x+1) the (x-1) has the SMALLEST value . Hence (x-1) = (x - a) which gives a = 1

therefore the only case that left is the x = (x-b) which gives b = 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 06:47
Hi GMATters,

Here's my video explanation of the problem:

Enjoy!

Rowan

Learn the Top 3 GMAT Arithmetic Techniques with this free PDF guide!

https://yourgmatcoach.withcoach.com/free-pdf-guide-top-3-700-level-gmat-arithmetic-shortcuts

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 14:33
metallicafan wrote:
ezhilkumarank wrote:
Quote:
However, why could we assume that (x-0)=(x-b), (x+1)=(x-c) and (x-1)=(x-a)? Probably, x(x-1)(x+1) are different factors which produce the same result as (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) do. For example, 6*2=3*4, but we cannot say that 6 = 3. Am I missing something?

:o We are not assuming anything. We are just equating the left hand side to the right hand side of the equation.

Any other thoughts?????

Yes, as I said, for example, 6*2=3*4, but we cannot say that 6 = 3. Based on this, we cannot say that (x-0)=(x-b)
Well, I am studying too much, probably I am seeing things that probably don't really matter LOL.

Hi in your example --- 6 * 2 * 1 = 3 *4 * 1 will not fit in the equation (x-0) (x+1) (x-1) = (x +a) (x+b) (x+C) with a>b>c ... put in values and see if it works ...here are some of my attempts ..

hence not an applicable test

trying random values, assuming X = 5 and
a = 3
b = 2
c = 1

that is 5 (x-0) * 6 (x+1) * 4 (x-1) = 8 (x+a) * 7 (x+b) * 6 (x+c)

not working

trying random values, assuming X = 5 and
a = -1
b = -2
c = -3

that is 5 (x-0) * 6 (x+1) * 4 (x-1) = 4 (x+a) * 3 (x+b) * 2 (x+c)

not feasible ...

only way this is possible is the following

assuming X = 5 and
a = 1
b = 0
c = -1

that is 5 (x-0) * 6 (x+1) * 4 (x-1) = 6 (x+a) * 5 (x+b) *4 (x+c)....working

Whatever the value of x but with a = 1 | b = 0 | c = -1 ...below equation will hold ..

(x-0) (x+1) (x-1) = (x +a) (x+b) (x+C)

hence b= 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
S
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 984 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jpr200012 wrote:
If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) for all numbers x, what is the value of b?

A. -3
B. -1
C. 0
D. 1
E. 3

Let’s simplify the given equation:

x^3 - x = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

x(x^2 - 1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

x(x - 1)(x + 1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

(x - 1)x(x + 1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

Since a > b > c:

(x - b) = x

b = 0

Alternate Solution:

If we let x = a in the equation, we get a^3 - a = 0; i.e., a^3 = a. Similarly, letting x = b and x = c, we get b^3 = b and c^3 = c. We know that the only three numbers whose cube is equal to the number itself are 1, 0, and -1. We have a > b > c; therefore, we must have a = 1, b = 0, and c = -1.

Answer: C

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 984 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 98

CAT Tests
If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 11:00
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
jpr200012 wrote:
If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) for all numbers x, what is the value of b?

A. -3
B. -1
C. 0
D. 1
E. 3

Let’s simplify the given equation:

x^3 - x = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

x(x^2 - 1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

x(x - 1)(x + 1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

(x - 1)x(x + 1) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)

Since a > b > c:

(x - b) = x

b = 0

Alternate Solution:

If we let x = a in the equation, we get a^3 - a = 0; i.e., a^3 = a. Similarly, letting x = b and x = c, we get b^3 = b and c^3 = c. We know that the only three numbers whose cube is equal to the number itself are 1, 0, and -1. We have a > b > c; therefore, we must have a = 1, b = 0, and c = -1.

Answer: C

Silly question, but how do we get algebraically get to the 0? Is it because we are subtracting x from both sides? Why is it not replaced with 1?
& what about the negative?

(x - b) = x

b = 0

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 98

If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b)   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2017, 11:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap