GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 17:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

80% (01:35) correct 20% (01:34) wrong based on 86 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely that her second child will be also. Jackie’s second child was not born before its due date, so it is likely that Jackie’s first child was not born before its due date either.

The questionable reasoning in the argument above is most similar in its reasoning to which one of the following?

(A) Artisans who finish their projects before the craft fair will probably go to the craft fair. Ben will not finish his project before the fair. So he probably will not go to the craft fair.

(B) All responsible pet owners are likely to be good with children. So anyone who is good with children is probably a responsible pet owner.

(C) If a movie is a box-office hit, it is likely that its sequel will be also. Hawkman II, the sequel to Hawkman I, was not a box-office hit, so Hawkman I was probably not a box-office hit.

(D) If a business is likely to fail, people will not invest in it. Pallid Starr is likely to fail, therefore no one is likely to invest in it.

(E) Tai will go sailing only if the weather is nice. The weather will be nice, thus Tai will probably go sailing.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 00:48
The reasoning here is ,
Given: If X is true then Y is likely to be true
Hence if Y is true, X is likely to be true.

The same reasoning is visible in answer chioce B. Hence B is the answer
Director
Director
P
Premium Member
Re: If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 11:48
Argument reasoning-:
If X, then Y.
If ~Y, then ~X.

Option C- If a movie is a box-office hit(X), then it is likely that its sequel will be also.(Y)
Hawkman II, the sequel to Hawkman I, was not a box-office hit(~Y), so Hawkman I was probably not a box-office hit.(~X)
That reasoning is similar to our argument.

Hovkial wrote:
If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely that her second child will be also. Jackie’s second child was not born before its due date, so it is likely that Jackie’s first child was not born before its due date either.

The questionable reasoning in the argument above is most similar in its reasoning to which one of the following?

(A) Artisans who finish their projects before the craft fair will probably go to the craft fair. Ben will not finish his project before the fair. So he probably will not go to the craft fair.

(B) All responsible pet owners are likely to be good with children. So anyone who is good with children is probably a responsible pet owner.

(C) If a movie is a box-office hit, it is likely that its sequel will be also. Hawkman II, the sequel to Hawkman I, was not a box-office hit, so Hawkman I was probably not a box-office hit.

(D) If a business is likely to fail, people will not invest in it. Pallid Starr is likely to fail, therefore no one is likely to invest in it.

(E) Tai will go sailing only if the weather is nice. The weather will be nice, thus Tai will probably go sailing.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 13:06
The reasoning goes: if this, then probably that. Not that, so probably not this.

C fits in. B misses the "not".

Also, creator of an error log app, 21st Night: https://get21stnight.com/. Use it to answer the question: "What do I study next?" Visit the link to see what I mean.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 13:36
Logic here is :
If X (first child born before due date) then Y (second also born before due date)
If not Y, then not X

Same logic in C
If X (movie is a box-office hit), then (sequel will be also a hit)
If not Y ( Hawkman II, the sequel to Hawkman I, was not a box-office hit,) then not X (so Hawkman I was probably not a box-office hit)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely th   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2019, 13:36

If a mother’s first child is born before its due date, it is likely th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics