Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [9]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Re: If a smaller circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle and a lage [#permalink]
MathRevolution wrote:
If a smaller circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle and a lager circle circumscribed about the triangle shown as above figure, what is the ratio of the lager circle’s area to the smaller circle’s area?

A. 1:2
B. 1:√3
C. 1:3
D. 1:4
E. 1:5

-> In the above picture, angle A=90 degrees and ABO=30 degrees, which makes AO:BO=1:2. Since ratio of area=the square of ratio of length, it is (1:2)^2=(1/2)^2=1/4=1:4. Thus, D is the answer.

I am getting the answer as 4:1

BO :AO = 2:1, Let AO = x, and therefore BO= 2x. They have asked for the ratio of the area of the larger circle to the area of the smaller circle = pi (2x)^2/ pi x^2 = 4:1.

What am I getting wrong??
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: If a smaller circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle and a lage [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MathRevolution wrote:
If a smaller circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle and a lager circle circumscribed about the triangle shown as above figure, what is the ratio of the lager circle’s area to the smaller circle’s area?

-> In the above picture, angle A=90 degrees and ABO=30 degrees, which makes AO:BO=1:2. Since ratio of area=the square of ratio of length, it is (1:2)^2=(1/2)^2=1/4=1:4. Thus, D is the answer.

Hi,
the answer will be 4:1 ..
OR please change the ratio to smaller: larger..
How can larger be less than smaller
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
MeghaP wrote:
MathRevolution wrote:

I am getting the answer as 4:1

BO :AO = 2:1, Let AO = x, and therefore BO= 2x. They have asked for the ratio of the area of the larger circle to the area of the smaller circle = pi (2x)^2/ pi x^2 = 4:1.

What am I getting wrong??

Sorry, you are actually right. The question was supposed to be "what is the ratio of the smaller circle’s area to the larger circle’s area?."
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6254 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
The triangle in a diagram is equilateral. The smaller circle is [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Attachment:
File comment: Problem
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 9.03 KiB | Viewed 24136 times ]

The triangle in a diagram is equilateral. The smaller circle is tangent to all three sides of the triangle. The larger circle passes through all three vertices of the triangle. What is the ratio of the area of the smaller circle to the area of the larger circle?

A. 1/8

B. 1/16

C. 1/2

D. 1/4

E. 1/32
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: The triangle in a diagram is equilateral. The smaller circle is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Gnpth wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

The triangle in a diagram is equilateral. The smaller circle is tangent to all three sides of the triangle. The larger circle passes through all three vertices of the triangle. What is the ratio of the area of the smaller circle to the area of the larger circle?

A. 1/8

B. 1/16

C. 1/2

D. 1/4

E. 1/32

Hi..

Draw an altitude of the equilateral triangle..
They will meet at the centre of the incircle and at a point 1/3 of altitude say a, so a/3..
This is the radius of incircle.
When you look at the altitude, the remaining 2/3 *a is nothing but the altitude of outer circle..
So ratio of radius is 1/2..
So ratio of area will become (1/2)^2=1/4

D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1526 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Re: The triangle in a diagram is equilateral. The smaller circle is [#permalink]
Kudos
Gnpth wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

A. 1/8

B. 1/16

C. 1/2

D. 1/4

E. 1/32

I guess this question is similar to the one already discussed here -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-a-smaller ... fl=similar
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618699 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
niks18 wrote:
Gnpth wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

A. 1/8

B. 1/16

C. 1/2

D. 1/4

E. 1/32

I guess this question is similar to the one already discussed here -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/if-a-smaller ... fl=similar

Merged the topics. Thank you.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
If a smaller circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle and a lage [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
MathRevolution wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment GEOMETRY.jpg is no longer available

If a smaller circle is inscribed in an equilateral triangle and a lager circle circumscribed about the triangle shown as above figure, what is the ratio of the smaller circle’s area to the larger circle’s area?

Attachment:
gggggg.jpg
gggggg.jpg [ 22.28 KiB | Viewed 23583 times ]

The equilateral triangle can be used for a quick answer.

An equilateral triangle can be divided, by its three medians, into 6 equal 30-60-90 triangles. Use one of them.

1) Draw two lines

Drop an altitude from B to the base of the triangle, to X.

Then draw a line between O and the triangle's vertex on the right, to Y.

2) Assign a side length to OX, and derive OY from 30-60-90 right triangle properties

Triangle OXY is a 30-60-90 right triangle, with sides in ratio \(x: x\sqrt{3}: 2x\)

OX is the small circle's radius
OY is the large circle's radius

Assign a value to OX*: let OX = 2

By properties of a 30-60-90 right triangle, if OX = 2, OY = 4

3) Find areas of circles, then the ratio needed

Area of small circle: \(\pi*r^2 = 4\pi\)
Area of large circle: \(\pi*r^2 = 16\pi\)

Ratio of small circle's area to large circle's area?

\(\frac{4\pi}{16\pi} = \frac{1}{4} = 1:4\)

ANSWER D

*Or let OX = \(x\). Then OY = \(2x\)

Small circle's area: \(x^2\pi\)
Large circle's area: \(4x^2\pi\)

Ratio of small to large areas is \(1:4\)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts