GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. If all of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 116
If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. If all of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 04:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If A, then B.

If B, then C.

If C, then D.

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) If D, then A.

(B) If not B, then not C.

(C) If not D, then not A.

(D) If D, then E.

(E) If not A, then not D.

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 511
Schools: Wharton
Re: Zumit CR 002  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 05:49
dancinggeometry wrote:
If A, then B.

If B, then C.

If C, then D.

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) If D, then A.

(B) If not B, then not C.

(C) If not D, then not A.

(D) If D, then E.

(E) If not A, then not D.


C

The stimulus basically says If A happens, then D will always happen. Therefore, if D didn't happen, A could not have happened.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 116
Re: Zumit CR 002  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 06:21
zoinnk wrote:
dancinggeometry wrote:
If A, then B.

If B, then C.

If C, then D.

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) If D, then A.

(B) If not B, then not C.

(C) If not D, then not A.

(D) If D, then E.

(E) If not A, then not D.


C

The stimulus basically says If A happens, then D will always happen. Therefore, if D didn't happen, A could not have happened.


Then why the option B is correct too? It is displaying a more direct correlation between B and C.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1452
Re: Zumit CR 002  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Sep 2008, 07:31
dancinggeometry wrote:
If A, then B.

If B, then C.

If C, then D.

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) If D, then A.

(B) If not B, then not C.

(C) If not D, then not A.

(D) If D, then E.

(E) If not A, then not D.




The answer should be C. I'll explain. Let's say:

A= GMAT
B= Computer Adaptive Test
C= Computer test

So imagine I say:

If it's a GMAT, then it's a computer adaptive test. And if it's a computer adaptive test, then it's a computer test.

Since you're wondering about option B, can you say that if it's not a computer adaptive test, then it's not a computer test??? there are so many non computer adaptive tests that are also computer tests such as the IQ tests or even computer skills tests.

However, in option C, if it's not a computer test, then definitely it's not the GMAT ;)

Originally posted by tarek99 on 10 Sep 2008, 06:31.
Last edited by tarek99 on 10 Sep 2008, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 235
Re: Zumit CR 002  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 06:52
IMO C.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 632
Re: Zumit CR 002  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 19:57
Clear C

A -> B -> C -> D


Do the reverse:

not D -> NotA
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1476
Re: Zumit CR 002  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 04:35
Another C.

Think of A being subset of B, B superset of C, C superset of D....Thus, if grand superset D does not exist then grand child subset A will also not exist.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 511
Schools: Wharton
Re: Zumit CR 002  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2008, 04:54
dancinggeometry wrote:
zoinnk wrote:
dancinggeometry wrote:
If A, then B.

If B, then C.

If C, then D.

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

(A) If D, then A.

(B) If not B, then not C.

(C) If not D, then not A.

(D) If D, then E.

(E) If not A, then not D.


C

The stimulus basically says If A happens, then D will always happen. Therefore, if D didn't happen, A could not have happened.


Then why the option B is correct too? It is displaying a more direct correlation between B and C.


Because the stimulus is not saying C if and only if B.

C could have other causes unrelated to B. However, we know that if B happens, C always happens.

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Re: Zumit CR 002 &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2008, 04:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If A, then B. If B, then C. If C, then D. If all of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.