Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [25]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: If m and n are both two digit numbers and m - n = 11x, is x an integer [#permalink]
vishalrastogi wrote:
Hi Banuel,

one confusion here.

from (1) we know that m is a multiple of 11. we also know that m-n= multiple of 11.
now, if we consider m to be 99 than , 99-n=multiple of 11. can we have any other 2 digit no. which is NOT a multiple of 11 for n in this case ? I think no. so effectively shouldn't the answer be A ? Have I missed something here ?

The highlighted portion is the problem. When you say (m-n) is a multiple of 11, that implies that you ARE saying that x IS an integer. But that is something which is in-fact being asked. You can't assume it while solving for the question stem.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: If m and n are both two digit numbers and m - n = 11x, is x an integer [#permalink]
Kudos
First we know that m is a a multiple of 11 but we still don’t know anything about 'n' therefore insufficient. Then we know that m+n is a multiple of 11 but that doesn't mean that they are both multiples of 11, it could be that they are both not non multiples of 11. Both together since m is a multiple of 11 then n must also be a multiple of 11. The difference of two multiples of 11 is always a multiple of 11. Thus answer is C

Hope this clarifies

Gimme some freaking Kudos!!
Best
J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
how can we say that m is a multiple of 11

m could be 11.10
No where mentioned is the stem that M is an int , its just a number

OA should E
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
vipulgoel wrote:
how can we say that m is a multiple of 11

m could be 11.10
No where mentioned is the stem that M is an int , its just a number

OA should E

11.10 is not a 2-digit number.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If a number is a multiple of 11, that means you can write the number as '11q' where q is an integer. So if m - n = 11x, and x is an integer, that just means that m-n is a multiple of 11. So that's the question we're trying to answer: is m - n divisible by 11?

Statement 1 tells us that the two-digit number m looks something like 11, 22, 33, etc. Those numbers are all multiples of 11, so Statement 1 is just telling us that m alone is divisible by 11. We know nothing about n, however, so we can't say if m - n is divisible by 11.

Statement 2 tells us that m + n is divisible by 11. This is not sufficient, as you can see by generating almost any two examples, one using multiples of 11, and one not. So maybe m = 22 and n = 11, and then m-n is also divisible by 11. But maybe m = 23 and n = 10, and then m - n is not divisible by 11.

Using both statements, we know that m+n and m are both multiples of 11. That guarantees that n is also a multiple of 11. And if m and n are both multiples of 11, then m-n will always be a multiple of 11 as well, so the answer is C.

If it's unclear why n must be a multiple of 11 here, you can see that in one of the following ways:

• perhaps the fastest is to use the fact that, if we subtract one multiple of 11 from another, we always get a multiple of 11. So if (m+n) and (m) are both multiples of 11, then (m+n) - m will be too, but that's just equal to n.

• the longer way is conceptually more useful to understand, because it illustrates why it's true that you always get a multiple of 11 when you add or subtract two multiples of 11:

- if m+n is a multiple of 11, then m+n = 11q for some integer q
- if m is a multiple of 11, then m = 11k for some integer k

So we know:

m + n = 11q

but m = 11k, so we can substitute for m and rearrange:

11k + n = 11q
n = 11q - 11k
n = 11 (q - k)

and we can now see that n is equal to 11 times some integer, so n is a multiple of 11 also.

Of course there's nothing special about '11' here. When you add or subtract two multiples of any integer p, you always get a multiple of p.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
My way to solve this problem was plugging numbers.

(1) m could be 11, 22, 33 ......
If n is 21, then m-n = 1.
11x = 1 when x is 1/11. So x is not integer.
If n is 11 and m is 22,
Then m-n = 11
If this is the case, x = 1. So x is integer.
Two different answers. Not sufficient.

(2)
If m = 22 and n = 11, then m-n = 11. X is integer.
If m = 23 and n = 10, then m-n = 13. X is not integer (11/13).
Not sufficient.

(1) + (2)

If m = 22, then n can only be a multiple of 11. Otherwise, (2) can’t be true.
Also, if m=22, then
22 + n = 11a
N = 11a-22
N = 11(a-2)
So n should be a multiple of 11.

So, M = 11a n = 11b. (A,b are just randomly chosen variables which will be replaced by positive integers, here it is positive because it is two digit numbers)
11a-11b = 11(a-b)
11(a-b) = 11x
A-b = x
Since, a and b are integers, x must be integers.

IMO = C.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts