GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Dec 2018, 03:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:18) correct 52% (01:33) wrong based on 126 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be a factor of p^6 - p^2?

A. 5
B. 12
C. 19
D. 25
E. 16

Originally posted by ritu1009 on 12 Dec 2018, 03:17.
Last edited by ritu1009 on 12 Dec 2018, 03:25, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Dec 2018, 10:26
I started plugging numbers:

if p = 1, the result would be zero, and any number can be claimed as a factor of zero.

if p = 2, 2^6 - 2^2 = 60, which eliminates options C,D,E instantly.
5 and 12 are factors of 60, but 12 is bigger.

so B.

...Thanks for KUDOS

Originally posted by Mahmoudfawzy83 on 12 Dec 2018, 12:29.
Last edited by Mahmoudfawzy83 on 15 Dec 2018, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
GMATH Teacher
G
Re: If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 12:27
Hi there!

Let me contribute with some observations in this matter:

01. It is easy to prove that the expression given may be factorized as p^2 (p^2+1) (p+1) (p-1) and from that, to conclude that this expression is always divisible by 12 (for p positive integer).

02. The fact is that p^6 - p^2 = p (p^5-p) and it can be proved that p^5 - p is always divisible by 5 (for p positive integer) (*), therefore the correct answer is 12*5 = 60, not among the alternative choices.

Mahmoudfawzy83 : 3^6 -3^2 is 720

Regards,
Fabio.

P.S.: (*) Just consider the factorization of (p^5 - p) and take into account that p must be equal to 5M, 5M+1, 5M+2, 5M+3 or 5M+4 , where M is integer. All cases are trivial.

Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator (Math for the GMAT)

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2018, 10:27
fskilnik wrote:
Hi there!

01. It is easy to prove that the expression given may be factorized as p^2 (p^2+1) (p+1) (p-1) and from that, to conclude that this expression is always divisible by 12 (for p positive integer).

02. The fact is that p^6 - p^2 = p (p^5-p) and it can be proved that p^5 - p is always divisible by 5 (for p positive integer) (*), therefore the correct answer is 12*5 = 60, not among the alternative choices.

Regards,
Fabio.

P.S.: (*) Just consider the factorization of (p^5 - p) and take into account that p must be equal to 5M, 5M+1, 5M+2, 5M+3 or 5M+4 , where M is integer. All cases are trivial.

I answered in right by mistake :lol:

...Thanks for KUDOS

GMATH Teacher
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 04:15
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:

I answered in right by mistake :lol:

Hello again , Mahmoudfawzy83 !

Thanks for the kudos.

I would like to congratulate you for your approach, in my opinion the BEST way to manage GMAT Problem Solving problems like this one.

I explain:

You may (and SHOULD) suppose the problem is well-posed, in the sense that there is ONLY one CORRECT alternative choice among the five given.

In other words, your reasoning for refuting some alternative choices based on a particular case exploration is GREAT.

Among the "survivors", it is also commendable to FOCUS on the property asked (maximum value), but in this case just one small detail is important:

To be sure 12 "would be" the right answer, 12 must be a divisor of EVERY expression p^6-p^2, I mean, of p^6-p^2 for every value of positive integer p. That´s the case!

(The fact that 60 is not among the possibilities, is an examiner´s fault. It is his/her burden to guarantee that you, the test taker, is offered the right answer among the ones given!)

I hope you (and other readers) benefit from those details!

Regards and success in your studies,
Fabio.

P.S.: "any number can be claimed as a factor of zero." must be understood as "any integer different from zero can be claimed as a factor of zero".

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 08:49
Hi,

Can you please explain solution "01"?

How were you able to determine that p^2 (p^2+1) (p+1) (p-1) will be divisble by 12?

i solved by expressing (p^2-1) (p^2) (p^2+1) where 25 can also fit in considering p may be 5.

Where am i wrong here.

Thanks

fskilnik wrote:
Hi there!

Regards,
Fabio.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2018, 12:30
Sajjad1093 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please explain solution "01"?

How were you able to determine that p^2 (p^2+1) (p+1) (p-1) will be divisble by 12?

i solved by expressing (p^2-1) (p^2) (p^2+1) where 25 can also fit in considering p may be 5.

Where am i wrong here.

Thanks

fskilnik wrote:
Hi there!

Regards,
Fabio.

Greetings Sajjad1093

for your second question about 25:
25 can fit if p = 5. that's correct , but can't always fit.
in the question: MUST is a keyword

I am tagging fskilnik as well so we can learn from him

...Thanks for KUDOS

Originally posted by Mahmoudfawzy83 on 20 Dec 2018, 09:30.
Last edited by Mahmoudfawzy83 on 20 Dec 2018, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
GMATH Teacher
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 11:52
Hi Sajjad1093 and Mahmoudfawzy83 ,

It is a pleasure to help you both understand my reasoning in my statement (1):

Consider ANY positive integer p fixed. For this value of p, we have:

\({p^6} - {p^2} = {p^2}\left( {{p^4} - 1} \right) = {p^2}\left( {{p^2} + 1} \right)\left( {{p^2} - 1} \right) = {p^2}\left( {{p^2} + 1} \right)\left( {p + 1} \right)\left( {p - 1} \right) = A\left( p \right) \cdot B\left( p \right)\)

\(A\left( p \right) = \left( {p - 1} \right)p\left( {p + 1} \right)\,\,{\rm{is}}\,\,{\rm{even}}\,\,\left( {{\rm{consecutive}}\,\,{\rm{integers}}} \right)\,\,{\rm{and}}\,\,{\rm{a}}\,\,{\rm{multiple}}\,\,{\rm{of}}\,\,3\,\,\,\,\,\left( {3\,\,{\rm{consecutive}}\,\,{\rm{integers}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,A\left( p \right) = 6M,\,\,M\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}}\)

\(B\left( p \right) = p\left( {{p^2} + 1} \right)\,\,{\rm{is}}\,\,{\rm{even}}\,\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{if}}\,\,p\,\,{\rm{odd}}\,,\,\,{p^2}\,\,{\rm{is}}\,\,{\rm{odd}}\,\,{\rm{hence}}\,\,{p^2} + 1\,\,{\rm{is}}\,\,{\rm{even}}} \right)\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,B\left( p \right) = 2N,\,\,N\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}}\)

\({p^6} - {p^2} = 12MN\,\,,\,\,MN\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}} \,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,{p^6} - {p^2}\,\,{\rm{is}}\,\,{\rm{a}}\,\,{\rm{multiple}}\,\,{\rm{of}}\,\,12\,\,\,\,\)

Please tag me again, if needed.

Regards and success in your studies,
Fabio.

P.S.: if you want my explanation for my statement (2), tag me about it, too.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 12:27
Thank fskilnik

please, can you explain how p^6 - P^4 is divisible by 5?

...Thanks for KUDOS

GMATH Teacher
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 12:51
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
Thank fskilnik

please, can you explain how p^6 - p^2 is divisible by 5?

Sure, let´s prove my statement 02., repeated below for convenience:

02. The fact is that p^6 - p^2 = p (p^5-p) and it can be proved that p^5 - p is always divisible by 5 (for p positive integer).

Consider ANY positive integer p fixed.

We know (from the Division Algorithm, or simply "remainders understanding") that p must be of one (only) of the following possibilities:
p = 5M , 5M+1 , 5M+2 , 5M+3 or 5M+4 , where M is a (nonnegative) integer.

\({p^5} - p = p\left( {{p^4} - 1} \right) = p\left( {{p^2} + 1} \right)\left( {p + 1} \right)\left( {p - 1} \right)\)

\(p = 5M\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{p^5} - p = 5M\left( {{p^2} + 1} \right)\left( {p + 1} \right)\left( {p - 1} \right) = 5M \cdot {\mathop{\rm int}} \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{done}}\)

\(p = 5M + 1\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{p^5} - p = p\left( {{p^2} + 1} \right)\left( {p + 1} \right)\left( {5M} \right) = 5M \cdot {\mathop{\rm int}} \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{done}}\)

\(p = 5M + 2\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{p^5} - p = p \cdot \underbrace {\left[ {25{M^2} + 20M + 4 + 1} \right]}_{5\left( {5{M^2} + 4M + 1} \right)\,\, = \,5N\,,\,\,N\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}} }\left( {p + 1} \right)\left( {p - 1} \right) = 5N \cdot {\mathop{\rm int}} \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{done}}\)

\(p = 5M + 3\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{p^5} - p = p \cdot \underbrace {\left[ {25{M^2} + 30M + 9 + 1} \right]}_{5\left( {5{M^2} + 6M + 2} \right)\,\, = \,5N\,,\,\,N\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}} }\left( {p + 1} \right)\left( {p - 1} \right) = 5N \cdot {\mathop{\rm int}} \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{done}}\)

\(p = 5M + 4\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{p^5} - p = p\left( {{p^2} + 1} \right)\underbrace {\left( {5M + 5} \right)}_{5\left( {M + 1} \right)\,\, = 5N\,\,,\,\,N\,\,{\mathop{\rm int}} }\left( {p - 1} \right) = 5N \cdot {\mathop{\rm int}} \,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,{\rm{done}}\)

Regards,
Fabio.

P.S.: if you consider learning this (and all other GMAT-focused-content) deeply to gain mathematical maturity and to be able to perform the quant section of the GMAT in a MUCH higher-level than the average, please check our free trial from the link given below!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 14:20
Could a kind soul help me out here?

How I went about thinking about p^2(P^2)(P-1)(P+1) is that no matter what the largest factor would be a positive root +1.

I've read each post and can't get it to click. What do I not see?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 09:45
The expression p^6 - p^2 can be expressed as follow:
p^6 - p^2=(p^2 +1)*p^2*(p+1)*p*(p-1)

As we can see, (p+1)*p*(p-1) is a set of 3 consecutive number. Therefore, the product of these numbers is divisible for 1,2,3 (1)

Moreover, (p^2 +1)*p^2 is also a set of 2 consecutive number. Therefore, the product of these 2 numbers is divisible for 1 & 2 (2)

From (1) and (2), we can conclude that the product of these 5 numbers is divisible for 1,2,3,4,6 & 12.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be &nbs [#permalink] 21 Dec 2018, 09:45

If p is a positive integer, what is the greatest integer that must be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap