GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Mar 2018, 01:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (02:26) correct 55% (02:19) wrong based on 131 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors does P^2*Q have?

(1) The lowest number that has both P^2 and Q^3 as its factors is 5400

(2) P and Q have only one common factor

Originally posted by sekharm2389 on 01 Mar 2018, 00:53.
Last edited by Bunuel on 01 Mar 2018, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Math Expert
V
If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 01:25
If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors does P^2*Q have?

(1) The lowest number that has both P^2 and Q^3 as its factors is 5400.

This means that 5,400 is the least common multiple of P^2 (square of a prime) and Q^3 (perfect cube), so both P^2 and Q^3 are factors of 5,400. Factorize: \(5400 = 2^3*3^3*5^2\). P^2, which is a square of a prime, must be 5^2 (so P must be 5) because in any other case (say if P^2 is 2^2 or 3^2), the remaining multiple will not be a perfect square (Q^3). Therefore, \(P^2 = 5^2\) (P = 5) and \(Q^3 = 2^3*3^3\) (Q = 6).

\(P^2*Q = 5^2*6 = 5^2*2*3\). The number of factors \(= (2 + 1)(1 + 1)(1 + 1) = 12\).

Sufficient.

(2) P and Q have only one common factor. This means that P and Q are co-prime, their only common factor is 1. This is clearly insufficient: for example, P could be 2 and Q could be 3, 3^2, 3^3, ...

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 09:15
Hi Bunuel,

Why are we assuming P^2 and Q^3 are the only factors apart from 1 for the number 5400?

I considered multiple possibilities for Q [2,3,6,1] so went with E. I think I am missing something in the reasoning. Can you help?

Tx.

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Math Expert
V
Re: If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 10:01
srinjoy1990 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Why are we assuming P^2 and Q^3 are the only factors apart from 1 for the number 5400?

I considered multiple possibilities for Q [2,3,6,1] so went with E. I think I am missing something in the reasoning. Can you help?

Tx.

How can P^2 and Q^3 be the only factors of 5,400? A number to have four factors should be of the form prime1*prime2, in this case its factors would be 1, p1, p2, and p1*p2.

If you say that Q can 1, 2, or 3, then what would P and would 5,400 be the LCM of P^2 an Q^3?

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 11:03
Quote:
(2) P and Q have only one common factor. This means that P and Q are co-prime, their only common factor is 1. This is clearly insufficient: for example, P could be 2 and Q could be 3, 3^2, 3^3, ...

Are 2 prime numbers coprime? 2 and 7, for example. Thanks

Non progredi est regredi

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 11:06
Akela wrote:
Quote:

Oh, I found the answer. Thanks! :)

Two integers a and b are said to be coprime if the only positive integer that evenly divides both of them is 1. That is, the only common positive factor of the two numbers is 1. So, according to the definition any two distinct primes are coprime.

Non progredi est regredi

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 11:07
Akela wrote:
Quote:

Two numbers are co-prime if they do not share any common factor but 1. So, any two different primes are co-prime. For example, 2 and 7 do not share any common factor but 1.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 11:52
Bunuel wrote:
srinjoy1990 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Tx.

How can P^2 and Q^3 be the only factors of 5,400? A number to have four factors should be of the form prime1*prime2, in this case its factors would be 1, p1, p2, and p1*p2.

If you say that Q can 1, 2, or 3, then what would P and would 5,400 be the LCM of P^2 an Q^3?

Thanks got my error. The only possible combination is 6^3*5^2 because, the numbers have to be coprime [The composite number cannot contain the prime number here], so the LCM is effectively product of the two. Should have noticed. :(

GMAT1 650 Q48 V32.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 11:33
Hi Bunuel,
Regarding 2nd statement ,since P and Q are coprime,I guess the number of factors will not change because if we take P=2 and Q=3 then number of factors for P^2Q will be (2+1)(1+1)=6 and if we take P=2 and Q=7 then also number of factors will remain same.Kindly let me know if i am missing anything.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 11:48
shu123 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
Regarding 2nd statement ,since P and Q are coprime,I guess the number of factors will not change because if we take P=2 and Q=3 then number of factors for P^2Q will be (2+1)(1+1)=6 and if we take P=2 and Q=7 then also number of factors will remain same.Kindly let me know if i am missing anything.

First of all, please re-read this:

Next, try to pick P and Q so that they are co-prime but so that both are not primes.

This should help.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 11:52
Oh ok..Thanks if i pick 7 and 9 ,no. of factors will vary.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 02:00

Statement 1:-
(1) The lowest number that has both P^2 and Q^3 as its factors is 5400.

This means that 5,400 is the LCM of P^2 (square of a prime) and Q^3 (perfect cube).
So both P^2 and Q^3 are factors of 5,400.
Factorize: \(5400 = 2^3*3^3*5^2\). P^2, which is a square of a prime, must be 5^2 (so P must be 5)
Therefore, \(P^2 = 5^2\) (P = 5)
And \(Q^3 = 2^3*3^3\) (Q = 6).

\(P^2*Q = 5^2*6 = 5^2*2*3\). The number of factors \(= (2 + 1)(1 + 1)(1 + 1) = 12\).

Sufficient.

Statement 2 :-
P and Q have only one common factor. This means that P and Q are co-prime,.
For example, P could be 2. Q could be 3, 3^2, 3^3, ... There is no data provided for Q.
This is clearly insufficient.

Answer: A.

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 07:22
Bunuel wrote:
shu123 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Next, try to pick P and Q so that they are co-prime but so that both are not primes.

This should help.

Hi Bunuel

Are 5 and 12 are co-primes ?

Thanks
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 07:30
@s wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
shu123 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

This should help.

Hi Bunuel

Are 5 and 12 are co-primes ?

Thanks

Yes.

The factors of 5 are 1 and 5.
The factors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12.

As you can see the only factor they share is 1, so 5 and 12 are co-prime.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors &nbs [#permalink] 29 May 2018, 07:30

If P is a prime number and Q is a positive integer, how many factors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap