GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 09:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 172
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT ToolKit User
If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2012, 12:55
4
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:42) correct 37% (01:52) wrong based on 493 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?

(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1.

_________________
Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 55271
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2012, 14:09
3
3
Stiv wrote:
If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?

(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
(2) the median of the numbers in S is greater than 1.


If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5,-2, 8 and n, is 0 < n < 7?

Note that:
If a set has odd number of terms the median of a set is the middle number when arranged in ascending or descending order;
If a set has even number of terms the median of a set is the average of the two middle terms when arranged in ascending or descending order.


So the median of our set of 5 numbers: {-2, 1, 5, 8, n} must be the middle number, so it can be:
1 if \(n\leq{1}\);
5 if \(n\geq{5}\);
\(n\) itself if \(1\leq{n}\leq{5}\).

(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5 --> so either the median=1 and in this case \(n\leq{1}\) so not necessarily in the range \(0<n<7\) or median=n and in this case \(1\leq{n}<{5}\) and in this case \(0<n<7\) is always true. Not sufficient.

(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1 --> again either the median=5 and in this case \(n\geq{5}\) so not necessarily in the range \(0<n<7\) or median=n and in this case \(1<{n}\leq{5}\) and in this case \(0<n<7\) is always true. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(1<median<5\) --> \(median=n\) --> \(1<n<5\), so \(0<n<7\) is true. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 172
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2012, 03:52
Thank you! It's clear now.
_________________
Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 May 2015
Posts: 32
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 06:43
Dear expert
Can the answer be D .
I understand the question asking whether 0<n<7
From Statement 1 , we get 1=<n<5, hence n is within 0<n<7 , thus it is sufficient
From statement 2, we get 1<n<=5, n is within 0<n<7, thus it is sufficient ,
Am I understand it wrongly
Appreciate could shed some lights
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7686
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 06:57
apple08 wrote:
Dear expert
Can the answer be D .
I understand the question asking whether 0<n<7
From Statement 1 , we get 1=<n<5, hence n is within 0<n<7 , thus it is sufficient
From statement 2, we get 1<n<=5, n is within 0<n<7, thus it is sufficient ,
Am I understand it wrongly
Appreciate could shed some lights



Hi,
you do not get what you are assuming above.
i'll try to explain where you are going wrong..

If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?
(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
median means the central value..
lets put these numbers in ascending order..
-2,1,5,8 and n ; we are given median is less than 5....

so n can take any value less than 5..
if its 4... -2,1,4,5,8.... median is 4
if its 0... -2,0,1,5,8.... median is 1
so if n is between 1 and 5, n is the median and if n < =1, median will be 1...
so n <5..... insuff, as we are asked if 0 < n < 7..
n can be anything -100,-50

(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1..
now lets put these numbers in ascending order..
-2,1,5,8 and n ; we are given median >1....

so n can take any value >1..
if its 2... -2,1,2,5,8.... median is 2
if its 6 ... -2,0,5,6,8.... median is 5
so if n is between 1 and 5, n is the median and if n > =5, median will be 5...
so n >1..... insuff, as we are asked if 0 < n < 7..
n can be anything 70,6 etc..

combined we know the median is between 1 and 5..
this means n will be the meadian..
so n is between 1 and 5, suff
C
hope helps
_________________
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 7372
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 22:26
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?

(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1.


When it comes to inequality for DS questions, if range of que include range of con, it means the con is sufficient.
In the original condition, there is 1 variable(n), which should match with the number of equations. So you need 1 equation. For 1) 1 equation, for 2) 1 equation, which is likely to make D the answer.
For 1), if n<5, the range of que doesn’t include the range of con, which is not sufficient.
For 2), if 1<n, the range of que doesn’t include the range of con, which is not sufficient.
When 1) & 2), they become 1<n<5. The range of que includes the range of con, which is sufficient. Therefore, the answer is C.



 For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
_________________
MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $149 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 242
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 05:37
chetan2u wrote:
apple08 wrote:
Dear expert
Can the answer be D .
I understand the question asking whether 0<n<7
From Statement 1 , we get 1=<n<5, hence n is within 0<n<7 , thus it is sufficient
From statement 2, we get 1<n<=5, n is within 0<n<7, thus it is sufficient ,
Am I understand it wrongly
Appreciate could shed some lights



Hi,
you do not get what you are assuming above.
i'll try to explain where you are going wrong..

If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?
(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
median means the central value..
lets put these numbers in ascending order..
-2,1,5,8 and n ; we are given median is less than 5....

so n can take any value less than 5..
if its 4... -2,1,4,5,8.... median is 4
if its 0... -2,0,1,5,8.... median is 1
so if n is between 1 and 5, n is the median and if n < =1, median will be 1...
so n <5..... insuff, as we are asked if 0 < n < 7..
n can be anything -100,-50

(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1..
now lets put these numbers in ascending order..
-2,1,5,8 and n ; we are given median >1....

so n can take any value >1..
if its 2... -2,1,2,5,8.... median is 2
if its 6 ... -2,0,5,6,8.... median is 5
so if n is between 1 and 5, n is the median and if n > =5, median will be 5...
so n >1..... insuff, as we are asked if 0 < n < 7..
n can be anything 70,6 etc..

combined we know the median is between 1 and 5..
this means n will be the meadian..
so n is between 1 and 5, suff
C
hope helps


Hi Chetan,

I also tried the same approach and marked E when I deduced 1<n<5 as question is stating if 0<n<7
ISN'T 1<n<5 subset of 0<n<7 , so how can we say n exists between 0 and 7

Please resolve the confusion
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7686
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 05:49
1
kanigmat011 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
apple08 wrote:
Dear expert
Can the answer be D .
I understand the question asking whether 0<n<7
From Statement 1 , we get 1=<n<5, hence n is within 0<n<7 , thus it is sufficient
From statement 2, we get 1<n<=5, n is within 0<n<7, thus it is sufficient ,
Am I understand it wrongly
Appreciate could shed some lights



Hi,
you do not get what you are assuming above.
i'll try to explain where you are going wrong..

If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?
(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
median means the central value..
lets put these numbers in ascending order..
-2,1,5,8 and n ; we are given median is less than 5....

so n can take any value less than 5..
if its 4... -2,1,4,5,8.... median is 4
if its 0... -2,0,1,5,8.... median is 1
so if n is between 1 and 5, n is the median and if n < =1, median will be 1...
so n <5..... insuff, as we are asked if 0 < n < 7..
n can be anything -100,-50

(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1..
now lets put these numbers in ascending order..
-2,1,5,8 and n ; we are given median >1....

so n can take any value >1..
if its 2... -2,1,2,5,8.... median is 2
if its 6 ... -2,0,5,6,8.... median is 5
so if n is between 1 and 5, n is the median and if n > =5, median will be 5...
so n >1..... insuff, as we are asked if 0 < n < 7..
n can be anything 70,6 etc..

combined we know the median is between 1 and 5..
this means n will be the meadian..
so n is between 1 and 5, suff
C
hope helps


Hi Chetan,

I also tried the same approach and marked E when I deduced 1<n<5 as question is stating if 0<n<7
ISN'T 1<n<5 subset of 0<n<7 , so how can we say n exists between 0 and 7

Please resolve the confusion


Hi kani,
any value of n is between 1 and 5, this has to be true for whatever this set is a subset of...
say n is 2 or 3, it will always be between the main set..
so if you get your answer as 1<n<5 and the main Q asks you if n is a positive integer, that would be true since any value of n will be true

the vice versa will not be correct..
that is we get 0<n<7 and answer asks if 1<n<5,.. it is not suff, as it doe snot contain 6,5 and 1...
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 242
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 05:55
Point Noted
Thanks Chetan
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2016
Posts: 43
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 02:55
If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?
(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1.

Given numbers are
-2 1 5 8 and n
Statement 1:
if median is less than 5
it can be 1 or n
if it is 1 => n<1
if it is n => n<5
not sufficient

Statement 2:
median is greater than 1
=>median can be 5 or n
if 5 =>n>5
if n => 1<n<5
not sufficient

Together
median is >1 and <5
=> n is 1<n<5
thus answer option C
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7686
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 17:36
HarveyKlaus wrote:
If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?

(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1.


Hi

Arrange the numbers in ascending order..
-2,1,5,8...
1) median is less than 5..
So n can be anything below 5 that is n<5..
If n is between 1 and 5, median is n,
And if n<1, median is 1
So n can be in the range 0 to 7 or less than 0
Insuff.
2) median is greater than 1.
So n >1..
If n is between 1 and 5, median is n, otherwise 5.
Insuff
Combined n<5 and n>1, so 1<n<5..
So ans is YES for 0<n<7
Suff

C
_________________
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1353
Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 19:26
HarveyKlaus wrote:
If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?

(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1.


Set \(S = \{-2, 1, 5, 8, n \}\)

(1) If median of the numbers in S is less than 5, we have n<5.

If \(n<-2\), set \(S = \{ n, -2, 1, 5, 8 \}\). Median of S is 1.
If \(-2<n<1\), set \(S = \{ -2, n, 1, 5, 8 \}\). Median of S is 1.
If \(1<n<5\), set \(S = \{ -2, 1, n, 5, 8 \}\). Median of S is n<5.

In all cases, which have median of S is less than 5, we have \(n<5\). This means n coud be in \((0, 7)\) or could be out of \((0, 7)\).
Insufficient.

(2) If median of the numbers in S is greater than 1, we have \(n>1\).
If \(n>8\), set \(S = \{ -2, 1, 5, 8, n \}\). Median of S is 5.
If \(5<n<8\), set \(S = \{ -2, 1, 5, n, 8 \}\). Median of S is 5.
If \(1<n<5\), set \(S = \{ -2, 1, n, 5, 8 \}\). Median of S is \(n>1\).

In all cases, which have median of S is greater than 1, we have \(n>1\). This means n coud be in \((0, 7)\) or could be out of \((0, 7)\).
Insufficient.

Combine (1) & (2)
(1) lead to \(n<5\)
(2) lead to \(n<1\)
(1) & (2) lead to \(1<n<5\), means that \(0<n<7\). Sufficient
_________________
GMATH Teacher
User avatar
P
Status: GMATH founder
Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 935
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 07:43
1
Stiv wrote:
If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 < n < 7 ?

(1) The median of the numbers in S is less than 5.
(2) The median of the numbers in S is greater than 1.

\(S = \left\{ { - 2,1,5,8} \right\} \cup \left\{ n \right\}\)

\(?\,\,\,:\,\,\,0 < n < 7\)


\(\left( 1 \right)\,\,\,{\rm{Med}}\left( S \right) < 5\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,n = 0\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {Med\left( S \right) = {\rm{Med}}\left( {\left\{ { - 2,0,1,5,8} \right\}} \right) = 1} \right]\,\, \hfill \cr
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,n = 1\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {Med\left( S \right) = {\rm{Med}}\left( {\left\{ { - 2,1,1,5,8} \right\}} \right) = 1} \right]\,\,\, \hfill \cr} \right.\,\)


\(\left( 2 \right)\,\,\,{\rm{Med}}\left( S \right) > 1\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,n = 7\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{NO}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {Med\left( S \right) = {\rm{Med}}\left( {\left\{ { - 2,1,5,7,8} \right\}} \right) = 5} \right]\,\, \hfill \cr
\,{\rm{Take}}\,\,n = 6\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {Med\left( S \right) = {\rm{Med}}\left( {\left\{ { - 2,1,5,6,8} \right\}} \right) = 5} \right]\,\,\, \hfill \cr} \right.\)


\(\left( {1 + 2} \right)\,\,\,\,1 < {\rm{Med}}\left( S \right) < 5\,\,\,\,\,\,\mathop \Rightarrow \limits^{\left( * \right)} \,\,\,\,\,\left\langle {{\rm{YES}}} \right\rangle\)

\(\left( * \right)\,\,\left\{ \matrix{
\,n \le 0\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,Med\left( S \right) = 1\,\,,\,\,\,\,{\rm{impossible}} \hfill \cr
\,n \ge 7\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,Med\left( S \right) = 5\,\,,\,\,\,\,{\rm{impossible}} \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\)


This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
_________________
Fabio Skilnik :: GMATH method creator (Math for the GMAT)
Our high-level "quant" preparation starts here: https://gmath.net
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2019, 07:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If set S consists of the numbers 1, 5, -2, 8, and n, is 0 <

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.