GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Mar 2019, 13:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If the city starts requiring residents to sort the materials that they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
Premium Member Reviews Badge
If the city starts requiring residents to sort the materials that they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Feb 2019, 21:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:34) correct 70% (02:38) wrong based on 77 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If the city starts requiring residents to sort the materials that they put out for recycling, then many residents will put more recyclables in with their regular garbage. This will result in more recyclables being buried in the city's landfill. However, because of the cost of having city workers do the sorting, the sanitation department will not stay within its budget unless the sorting requirement for residents is implemented.

Which one of the following statements logically follows from the information above?

(A) Most of the city's residents will continue to recycle even if a sorting requirement is implemented.

(B) If the city starts requiring residents to sort their recyclables, then all of the residents who continue to recycle will sort their recyclables.

(C) Implementing the sorting requirement would not cause the city's annual cost of sending garbage to its landfill to exceed its current annual cost of sorting recyclables.

(D) The amount of recyclables going to the city's landfill will increase if the sanitation department stays within its budget.

(E) If the city implements the sorting requirement, the sanitation department will stay within its budget.

The HARDER you work, the LUCKIER you get.

Originally posted by patto on 26 Feb 2019, 13:12.
Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Feb 2019, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
Re: If the city starts requiring residents to sort the materials that they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 13:20
Can anybody explain me this? I thought the answer should be E but it is D and I am not able to figure out why.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If the city starts requiring residents to sort the materials that they  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 13:29
Charu11111 wrote:
Can anybody explain me this? I thought the answer should be E but it is D and I am not able to figure out why.

This is a tough question. It involves conditional reasoning.
Look:

Statement (1): Sorting (necessary condition) ---> Increase GR (suffient condition)

Statement (2): Increase GR (necessary condition) ----> Increase LR (suffient condition)

Statement (3): Budget (necessary condition) ---> Sorting (suffient condition)

Then, we can conclude

Budget --> Sorting --> Increase GR --> Increase LR

Therefore, we can conclude that Budget --> Increase LR. That's exactly what D says.

Instead, E says that Sorting --> Budget. That's not what we can deduce from the argument.

I hope it's useful.

The HARDER you work, the LUCKIER you get.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 03:09
GMATNinja
Though it is mentioned in the argument : "because of the cost of having city workers do the sorting, the sanitation department will not stay within its budget", while drawing the logical inference, can we take it for granted that the city will definitely remain within its budget if the sorting workers are not recruited...Cant there be some other ways which could lead to the sanitation dept exceeding its budget even without the implementation of sorting workers....

This is the reason I left D
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 09:27
I think ....I somewhat understood this!

So if Segregation by residents is implemented,then residents would lazily put the Recyclables too in the regular Garbage .

The regular garbage segregation at the land fill will cost heavily for the department of it's done by the workers at the landfill. so, because of this Segregation by residents needs to be implemented.

And if the segregation of the Recyclables by the residents is implemented,then naturally residents will put all of it in Regular Garbage and that would increase the landfill. that's what option D states and correctly follows.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If the city starts requiring residents to sort the materials that they   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2019, 09:27

If the city starts requiring residents to sort the materials that they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap