GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If there are many compromises made in relation to the production

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
If there are many compromises made in relation to the production  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 03:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:00) correct 30% (01:04) wrong based on 183 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product would be imperfect.

A. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product would be
B. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product will have been
C. in relation to the production process, there is many compromises made, the quality of the final product will be
D. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the final product's quality will be
E. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product had been

V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: If there are many compromises made in relation to the production  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 09:12
Top Contributor
It is a thumb rule of grammar that in "if.. then" conditional sentences if the conditional clause takes a present tense, the main clause will take either the simple present such as - is /are (in more general /universal phenomena ) or the simple future such as will/will be etc in more specific cases.

Ex:
If the students are encouraged, they come out with sterling performance
If an airplane arrives late, it will also depart late.
D
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If there are many compromises made in relation to the production  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 07:28
A. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product would be - Incorrect. 'will be' is required.

B. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product will have been - Incorrect. Same error as in A.

C. in relation to the production process, there is many compromises made, the quality of the final product will be - Incorrect. Subject verb agreement error.

D. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the final product's quality will be - Correct.

E. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product had been - Incorrect. Same error as in A.

Answer: D
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 08:57
Sash143 wrote:
If there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product would be imperfect.

A. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product would be
B. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product will have been
C. in relation to the production process, there is many compromises made, the quality of the final product will be
D. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the final product's quality will be
E. there are many compromises made in relation to the production process, the quality of the final product had been

Will be is required for the correct answer ...

Incorrect options are highlighted in RED, correct answer must be (D)

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 06:09
Please explain why ''will be should be used'' and not the conditional ''would'' for future tense.

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 23:32
As it is a condition based sentence, is it not appropriate to use 'would' in place of 'will'?
acc to me , option 'a' is correct choice.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 02:11
VKat wrote:
As it is a condition based sentence, is it not appropriate to use 'would' in place of 'will'?
acc to me , option 'a' is correct choice.

Different types of conditional sentences take different tense combinations. For example:

Certain future:
IF simple present, THEN simple future. - option D correctly uses this form

Unlikely future:
IF hypothetical subjunctive, THEN conditional (would) - option A mixes simple present with conditional (would) wrongly.

I would suggest that you read a good GMAT guide first (e.g, Manhattan SC guide) before you attempt questions. It is essential to have these concepts cleared for a high score.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
If there are many compromises made in relation to the production  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 05:15
Top Contributor
VKat wrote

Quote:
As it is a condition based sentence, is it not appropriate to use 'would' in place of 'will'? acc to me , option 'a' is correct choice.

I'm afraid this is not a correct perception. There are four types of conditional sentences and not all of them entail 'would', as you can see below.

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES
There are four types of conditional sentences: Zero Conditional, First Conditional, Second Conditional, and Third Conditional

Zero Conditional used for general truths and perpetually occurring real things: If clause = if +present tense, the main clause also in present tense

If children get caught in the rains, they catch cold

2. First Conditional real facts: if clause = If + present tense, then main clause = future (will) + bare infinitive
(Bare infinitive means the base form of the verb)
Example: If I have enough money, I will buy a house (future tense)
3. Second Conditional unreal and hypothetical: If clause = if + simple past tense, then main clause = would or might or could + bare infinitive
Example: If I had enough money, I would buy a house
If I were Bill Gates, I would donate $100 to Mother Theresa's Ashram every month.
4. Third Conditional unreal and contrary happening: If clause = If + past perfect, then main clause = would have + past participle
Example: If I had stuck to my first post, I would have become a Director in the Board.

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 15:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: If there are many compromises made in relation to the production   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2019, 15:11

If there are many compromises made in relation to the production

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics