Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [18]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: If tourists continue to visit Bridges National Park [#permalink]
Kudos
A. Tourists will limit the amount of time they spend in the park by hiking only the shorter trails in the park. Possible answer. But it does not take into consideration that the tourists might increase the time by resting or detailed sightseeing on these short trails.

B. Most tourists will easily be able to pay the fee even if they do not reduce the number of hours that they spend in the park. Assumption out of scope.

C. The fee will not induce tourists to enter the park early in the morning before the fee collection station has opened and leave only after the fee collection stations has closed for the night. Highly probable since the tourists can avoid paying the fee if they do so, thereby defeating the purpose of the new arrangement.

D. Protecting the fragile desert environment is an important issue for most visitors to the park. Assumption is beyond scope.

E. Tourists who do not wish to pay the fee can visit the nearby Chasmland National Park. Out of scope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
I think the answer should be C .

Here then conclusion says that the fee will cause tourists to limit time spent in the park . So Ira assuming that they have not found any alternative ways to reduce/ skip the the fee altogether

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
C
As it is the only loophole to the new entry fee policy, and the management would have to assume that that won't happen to believe in the efficacy of their new policy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
C
As it is the only loophole to the new entry fee policy, and the management would have to assume that that won't happen to believe in the efficacy of their new policy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
I did not understood how C is the correct answer choice?

Since the argument has stated that tourists will limit the number of hours they spend in the parks if a fee is introduced.So tourists are not likely to pay a high fee if they want to spend greater number of hours in the park or fee is an important factor for the tourists to determine wether they want to spend more hours.Whereas option C introduces additional premise.
Can anyone please explain it?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Srija221 wrote:

Since the argument has stated that tourists will limit the number of hours they spend in the parks if a fee is introduced.So tourists are not likely to pay a high fee if they want to spend greater number of hours in the park or fee is an important factor for the tourists to determine wether they want to spend more hours.Whereas option C introduces additional premise.

Hey, so yeah, the tourists should ideally limit their costs because they wouldn't want to pay more.

But what if people started entering the park before the toll booth opens, and start staying back until the toll booth is closed. If that were a possibility more people would start doing that to avoid paying the fee, and that would defeat the purpose of limiting hours spent by people.

So, if the plan were to be a success, the park authorities/management would have to assume that people won't do this.

C is the only option that presents a situation that the management would have had to assume would not arise for their plan to work.

Look at the other options.

A> Good, we want people to limit their time. An effect, not an assumption.
B> Weakening Statement
D>Maybe, the reason why people are fine with the new policy, but not an assumption
E> New park? Out of scope.

Hope this helps.
Kudos me please!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
abansal1805 wrote:
If tourists continue to visit Bridges National Park at the current rate, the fragile desert environment that the park seeks to protect will be irreparably harmed. The park's Director has put forth a proposal to charge visitors to the park a fee based on the number of hours spent in the park. This fee will induce tourists to limit their time in the park and thus protect the fragile desert environment.

Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?

A. Tourists will limit the amount of time they spend in the park by hiking only the shorter trails in the park.

B. Most tourists will easily be able to pay the fee even if they do not reduce the number of hours that they spend in the park.

C. The fee will not induce tourists to enter the park early in the morning before the fee collection station has opened and leave only after the fee collection stations has closed for the night.

D. Protecting the fragile desert environment is an important issue for most visitors to the park.

E. Tourists who do not wish to pay the fee can visit the nearby Chasmland National Park.

Only C makes sense as assumption.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
To limit their time:

A. Tourists will limit the amount of time they spend in the park by hiking only the shorter trails in the park.
B. Most tourists will easily be able to pay the fee even if they do not reduce the number of hours that they spend in the park.
C. The fee will not induce tourists to enter the park early in the morning before the fee collection station has opened and leave only after the fee collection stations has closed for the night.

For the new policy to work...make sure there's no other way for the tourists to visit the park

D. Protecting the fragile desert environment is an important issue for most visitors to the park.
E. Tourists who do not wish to pay the fee can visit the nearby Chasmland National Park.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Srija221 wrote:

Srija221 Opton Aa actually weakens the conclusion by stating one possible reason which may fail the proposal. Whereas, in option C, provides a piece of information which binds the argument.
An assumption is indeed an additional unstated premise.

Regards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hi..

The park's Director plans to charge the number of hours of stay. So, A can even be an assumption that tourists will have shorter trails to avoid being charged more.

How can the OA be C??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 1608
Send PM
If tourists continue to visit Bridges National Park [#permalink]
nkme2007 wrote:
Hi..

The park's Director plans to charge the number of hours of stay. So, A can even be an assumption that tourists will have shorter trails to avoid being charged more.

How can the OA be C??

nkme2007
A states : Tourists will limit the amount of time they spend in the park by hiking only the shorter trails in the park.
the statement means how the tourists will be spending the limited time in the park.
It does not concern . as long as the timing is followed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
abansal1805 wrote:
If tourists continue to visit Bridges National Park at the current rate, the fragile desert environment that the park seeks to protect will be irreparably harmed. The park's Director has put forth a proposal to charge visitors to the park a fee based on the number of hours spent in the park. This fee will induce tourists to limit their time in the park and thus protect the fragile desert environment.

Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?

The conclusion is "The fee is effective in reducing tourists' time in the park and thereby protect the environment"

Choice A:The reason why the answer is not A is because it does not really have to be true for the conclusion to be true.
Whether they pay the fee or not, they can reduce the time or they don't need to. The answer choice doesn't explain the effectiveness of the fee on reducing tourists' time.

Choice C: If you negate the answer choice C, then the making people to pay the fee becomes ineffective.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts