GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 May 2018, 22:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If x and y are both positive integers, is y a multiple of 7?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B
If x and y are both positive integers, is y a multiple of 7? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 22:01
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:21) correct 39% (01:13) wrong based on 83 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If \(x\) and \(y\) are both positive integers, is \(y\) a multiple of 7?

(1) \((x^3)(y^3) = 441^3\)
(2) \(x\) is a single digit integer

Aaron J. Pond
Veritas Prep Elite-Level Instructor

Hit "+1 Kudos" if my post helped you understand the GMAT better.
Look me up at https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/aaron-pond/ if you want to learn more GMAT Jujitsu.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 22:26
AaronPond wrote:
If \(x\) and \(y\) are both positive integers, is \(y\) a multiple of 7?

(1) \((x^3)(y^3) = 441^3\)
(2) \(x\) is a single digit integer

Points to consider..
1) x and y are positive integers..

From statement I,
\(x*y = 441=1*3*3*7*7\)
So x can be 9, and y can be 49.... Yes y is multiple of 7
x can be 49 and y can be 9..... Ans NO
Insufficient

From statement II..
Nothing about y..
Insufficient

Combined...
x can be 1,3,7 or 9
corresponding values of y are 441,3*49,63,49
In each case y will be MULTIPLE of 7
Sufficient
C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
B
Re: If x and y are both positive integers, is y a multiple of 7? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 22:39
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Statement #1 tells us that \((x^3)(y^3) = 441^3\). This can be mathematically simplified down to \((x)(y)=441\). Therefore, both \(x\) and \(y\) are factors of \(441\).

Factoring \(441\) isn't hard, especially once we realize that \(441\) is not only divisible by \(9\), but \(441 = 450-9\).

Factoring a common \(9\) out of this expression gives us:

\(450-9 = 9(50-1) = 9*49 = 3*3*7*7\)

\(x\) or \(y\) could be any combination of these prime values. \(y\) could be equal to 3 (not a multiple of 7), and it could also be equal to 7 (obviously, a multiple of 7.) Statement #1 is clearly insufficient.

Statement #2 is profoundly insufficient by itself. It tells us nothing about \(y\), so it is easy to eliminate.

As we combine the statements together, we can now ask ourselves the question, "does it matter that \(x\) is a single digit integer?" If \(x\) must be a single digit integer, there are only four possible solutions: \(x\)\(=1,3,7,\) or \(9\).

Given these four values for \(x\), here are the possible values for \(x\) and \(y\) (notice that there is no reason to actually multiply them out, since the problem only wants us to find out if \(y\) is a multiple of 7.)

(\(x\)) *(\(y\))
\(1\) * (\(3*3*7*7\))
\(3\)*(\(3*7*7\))
\(7\)*(\(3*3*7\))
\(9\)*(\(7*7\))

In every case, \(y\) must be a multiple of 7. Combining these two statements together is sufficient.

The answer is C.

Aaron J. Pond

Look me up at https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/aaron-pond/ if you want to learn more GMAT Jujitsu.

SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If x and y are both positive integers, is y a multiple of 7? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 16:10
AaronPond wrote:
Statement #1 tells us that \((x^3)(y^3) = 441^3\). This can be mathematically simplified down to \((x)(y)=441\). Therefore, both \(x\) and \(y\) are factors of \(441\).

Factoring \(441\) isn't hard, especially once we realize that \(441\) is not only divisible by \(9\), but \(441 = 450-9\).

Factoring a common \(9\) out of this expression gives us:

\(450-9 = 9(50-1) = 9*49 = 3*3*7*7\)

\(x\) or \(y\) could be any combination of these prime values. \(y\) could be equal to 3 (not a multiple of 7), and it could also be equal to 7 (obviously, a multiple of 7.) Statement #1 is clearly insufficient.

Statement #2 is profoundly insufficient by itself. It tells us nothing about \(y\), so it is easy to eliminate.

As we combine the statements together, we can now ask ourselves the question, "does it matter that \(x\) is a single digit integer?" If \(x\) must be a single digit integer, there are only four possible solutions: \(x\)\(=1,3,7,\) or \(9\).

Given these four values for \(x\), here are the possible values for \(x\) and \(y\) (notice that there is no reason to actually multiply them out, since the problem only wants us to find out if \(y\) is a multiple of 7.)

(\(x\)) *(\(y\))
\(1\) * (\(3*3*7*7\))
\(3\)*(\(3*7*7\))
\(7\)*(\(3*3*7\))
\(9\)*(\(7*7\))

In every case, \(y\) must be a multiple of 7. Combining these two statements together is sufficient.

The answer is C.

Dear AaronPond

In evaluating statement 1 alone, Can I say the following:

(x) (y) = 441

(441) (1) = 441

(1) (441) = 441

Does it have to be inform of prime for statement 1?

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 11:29
Mo2men wrote:

Dear AaronPond

In evaluating statement 1 alone, Can I say the following:

(x) (y) = 441

(441) (1) = 441

(1) (441) = 441

Does it have to be inform of prime for statement 1?

Thanks in advance

Great question! No, the problem does not require your factorization to be in the form of a prime. That is why I said "\(x\) or \(y\) could be any combination of these prime values." They both do not need to be a combination of primes. (Remember: "\(1\)" is not a prime number. Since the definition of a prime is "a number divisible by only two distinct factors: 1 and itself", \(2\) is the first prime number.)

You can also see this idea embedded in my explanation above. One of the possible options for \(x*y\) is \(1\) * (\(3*3*7*7\))

Keep studying smart and asking solid questions!

Aaron J. Pond

If x and y are both positive integers, is y a multiple of 7?   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2018, 11:29

If x and y are both positive integers, is y a multiple of 7?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap