Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3176 [528]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618654 [202]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [51]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [9]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is a really tough problem. Here is my video explanation:
https://gmatquantum.com/gmatprep-algebr ... tatements/

Dabral

Originally posted by dabral on 28 Jun 2011, 12:19.
Last edited by dabral on 17 Sep 2018, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [13]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Baten80 wrote:
If x > y^2 >z^4, which of the following statements could be true?

I. x > y > z

x=10000
y=10; y^2=100
z=1; z^4=1
x>y^2>z^4

II. z > y > x
z=0.5; z^4=0.0625
y=0.4; y^2=0.16
x=0.3
x>y^2>z^4

III. x > z > y
x=0.5
z=0.2; z^4=0.0016
y=0.1; y^2=0.01
x>y^2>z^4

a. I only
b. I and II only
c. I and III only
d. II and III only
e. I, II and III

We just need to remember that
1. the number decreases in value with increment in the power of the number if 0< number< 1;
if x=0.1; x>x^2>x^3>x^(100) because x is between 0 and 1.

2. the number increases in value with increment in the power of the number if number>1
if x=2;
x<x^2<x^(100) because x is more than 1.

Ans: "E"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,
Thanks for the earlier response.. I think, I am very weak in Inequalities..
Could you please post how to go about this question in algebraic way.. ...also if you could let me know how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work..
Thanks
H
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618654 [12]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel/Karishma,
Thanks for the earlier response.. I think, I am very weak in Inequalities..
Could you please post how to go about this question in algebraic way.. ...also if you could let me know how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work..
Thanks
H

Plug-in method is really the best way to handle such kind of questions. No need to look for some kind of textbook or algebraic ways.

Notice that there are are certain GMAT questions which are pretty much only solvable with plug-in or trial and error methods (well at leas in 2-3 minutes). Many difficult inequality problems will often require some sort of plug-ins, as part of your technique or else you'll spend too much time solving them with algebra. Which means that you MUST make plug-in methods part of your arsenal if you want to get a decent score.

Inequality questions to practice.
DS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=184
PS: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=189

Hope it helps.

P.S. I'm not sure understood the following part of your post: "how do you make sure about the "Range of the values", that will also work.. "
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [1]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks Bunuel for your response..
This is what I mean when I said range - Red Part in Karishma's response"
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
arps wrote:
1) x > y2 > z4

which of the following is true:

I x>y>z
II z>y>x
III x>z>y

A) I Only
B) I and II Only
C) I and III Only
D) II and III Only
E) I, II and III

I think the actual question is: Which of the following could be true?

Plugging in numbers work best for such questions. The only thing to keep in mind is that you should plug in the right numbers. How do you know the right numbers?
When I see \(x > y^2 > z^4\), I think that \(y^2\) and \(z^4\) are non negative. Since \(y^2 > z^4\), \(y^2\) cannot be 0. Only z can be 0. x has to be positive. Also, I have to take into account two ranges: 0 to 1 and 1 to infinity. The powers behave differently in these two ranges. I will consider negative numbers only if I have to since with powers, they get confusing to deal with.

The question says: "Which of the following could be true?"
We have to find examples where each relation holds.

I. x > y > z
This is the most intuitive of course.
z = 0, y = 1 and x = 2
\(2 > 1^2 > 0^4\)

II. z > y > x
Let me consider the 0 to 1 range here. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1/4
\(1/4 > 1/9 > 1/16\)

III. x > z > y
Let's stick to 0 to 1 range. z > y as in case II above but x has to be greater than both of them. Say z = 1/2, y = 1/3 and x = 1
\(1>1/9 > 1/16\)

So all three statements could be true.
"
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618654 [4]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Bunuel for your response..
This is what I mean when I said range - Red Part in Karishma's response"
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

First notice that since x>z^4 (x is greater than some nonnegative value) then x>0.

Now, as Karishma correctly noted, numbers in powers behave differently in the range {0. 1} and {1. +infinity}. For example:

If 0<a<1 then a, a^2 and a^4 will be ordered as follows: 0--(a^4)--(a^2)--(a)--1

If a>1 then a, a^2 and a^4 will be ordered as follows: 1--(a)--(a^2)--(a^4)--

So, we should take the above difference in ordering into account when picking numbers for x, y, and z, since we need to find the values which satisfy 3 different statements.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Algebraic solution:

In the question we are given: x>y2>z4, hence from concepts of inequalities we break it into 2 parts: x>y2 and y2>z4.
1. x>y2 means -x(1/2)<y<x(1/2)
2. y2>z4 means -y<z2<y, but a square cannot be negative so 0<z2<y, this implies -y(1/2)<z<y(1/2).

Now we plot all these points on number line with the intersection of there ranges. But before that we need to understand that we will only be taking x,y,z as positive since if we take y as negative for example(easiest one) the value z(2) becomes negative, whereas a square can never be negative.

hence we plot all of them on the positive x-axis. From above 1 & 2 point we get a general range as such 0<z<y(1/2)<y<x(1/2)<x.
Now, we need to see that we haven't in reality considered various values of x,y,z but have come up with a general idea of how they look on the number line.
Now we define the ranges, since we know about a^x graph varies for values 0<a<1 and a>1, we also take such cases for all three of them.
1. 0<x<1 and x>1
2. 0<y<1 and y>1
3. 0<z<1 and z>1

Hence looking at the combinations we find we have 8 possibilities (2*2*2). taking the 2 general ones:
1. x>1 y>1 z>1. In the general formula we simply put x,y,z and get x>y>z. (Would have figured initially).
2. 0<x<1, 0<y<1 and 0<z<1. In this possibility put x as 1/x, y as 1/y and z as 1/z in general formula we get z>y>x.
3. x>1 0<y<1 and 0<z<1. In this put y as 1/y and z as 1/z. Keep x as x in general formula, we see x>1/y>1/z. since only 1/y>1/z are in reciprocal hence z>y by inequalities. thus x>z>y.

Therefore we can get 8 possibilities and the fact is all of them are correct.
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi vinnisatija,

Yes, if you see a "could be" question, then just one example that satisfies the given condition is sufficient. In case of "must be" questions, the required condition must hold true under all circumstances along with whatever additional constraint is given in the problem.

Dabral
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [7]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
If x > y^2 > z^4, which of the following statements could be true?

I. x>y>z
II. z>y>x
III. x>z>y

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and II

We are given that x > y^2 > z^4 and need to determine which statements must be true. Let’s test each Roman Numeral.

I. x > y > z

Notice that the order of arrangement of x, y, and z in the inequality x > y > z is the same as the order of arrangement of x, y^2, and z^4 in the inequality x > y^2 > z^4, so we want to test positive integers in this case.

x = 10

y = 3

z = 1

Notice that 10 > 3 > 1 for x > y > z AND 10 > 9 > 1 for x > y^2 > z^4.

We see that I could be true.

II. z > y > x

Notice that the order of arrangement of x, y, and z in the inequality z > y > x differs from the order of arrangement of x, y^2, and z^4 in the inequality x > y^2 > z^4, so we want to test positive proper fractions in this case. This is because we need to decrease the value of y and z to make them work within the given inequality.

x = 1/5

y = 1/3

z = 1/2

Notice that 1/2 > 1/3 > 1/5 for z > y > x AND 1/5 > 1/9 > 1/16 for x > y^2 > z^4.

We see that II could be true.

III. x > z > y

Notice that the order of arrangement of y and z in the inequality x > z > y differs from the order of arrangement of y^2 and z^4 in the inequality x > y^2 > z^4, so we once again want to test positive proper fractions. This is because we need to decrease the value of z to make it work within the given inequality (that is, we want to swap the order of z4 and y2 even if z > y).

x = 1/2

y = 1/4

z = 1/3

Notice that 1/2 > 1/3 > 1/4 for x > z > y AND 1/2 > 1/16 > 1/81 for x > y^2 > z^4.

We see that III could be true.

Answer: E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29900 [15]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos