Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Divisibility/Multiples/Factorsx                                       
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [120]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [14]
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [12]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [1]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If x, y, and z are positive integers such that x is a factor of y, and [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Answer = (B) \(\frac{(y+z)}{x}\)

Took x = 6; y = 12; z = 2

6 is a factor of 12, and 6 is a multiple of 2

Only option B contradicts the condition
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [4]
Given Kudos: 60
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
Re: If x, y, and z are positive integers such that x is a factor of y, and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO B.
let y = 10
then x = 2 or 5.
z can be 1 or 2

B satisfies.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This question is perfect for TESTing VALUES. Since the prompt asks 'which of the following is NOT necessarily an integer?", we can take advantage of a great 'shortcut' - we just need to find ONE instance for any answer to NOT be an integer and we'll have the solution...

We're given a few facts to work with:
1) X, Y and Z are POSITIVE INTEGERS
2) X is a FACTOR of Y
3) X is a MULTIPLE of Z

Let's TEST VALUES.....

IF....
X = 2
Y = 2
Z = 1

Answer A: (X+Z)/Z = (2+1)/1 = 3 This is an integer
Answer B: (Y+Z)/X = (2+1)/2 = 3/2 This is NOT an integer, so this MUST be the answer. We don't even have to check the others.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

If x, y, and z are positive integers such that x is a factor of y, and x is a multiple of z, which of the following is NOT necessarily an integer?

(A) (x+z)/z
(B) (y+z)/x
(C) (x+y)/z
(D) (xy)/z
(E) (yz)/x

Problem Solving
Question: 172
Category: Arithmetic Properties of numbers
Page: 85
Difficulty: 600

GMAT Club is introducing a new project: The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition - Quantitative Questions Project

Each week we'll be posting several questions from The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition and then after couple of days we'll provide Official Answer (OA) to them along with a slution.

We'll be glad if you participate in development of this project:
1. Please provide your solutions to the questions;
2. Please vote for the best solutions by pressing Kudos button;
3. Please vote for the questions themselves by pressing Kudos button;
4. Please share your views on difficulty level of the questions, so that we have most precise evaluation.

Thank you!

An easy approach would be to bring everything in terms of z.

x = za (where a is a positive integer)
y = xb = zab (where b is a positive integer)

(A) (x+z)/z = (za + z)/z = a + 1 (positive integer)
(B) (y+z)/x = (zab + z)/za = (ab + 1)/a (Not necessarily an integer)
(C) (x+y)/z = (zab + za)/z = ab + a (positive integer)
(D) (xy)/z = zazab/z = zaab (positive integer)
(E) (yz)/x = zabz/za = zb (positive integer)

Answer (B)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Hey everyone,

this question took me 7 minutes to solve correctly, is there any shortcut for dummies to solve this quckly ? :? :)

here is my solution :) its only 30sec read, please read it below you wont get bored :)

Let y be 6
Then x = 2 or x =3
Z =1 or z =2

x is a factor of y -----> 2 is factor of 6
x is a multiple of z -----> 2 is multiple of 1

so let`s test them; this is the most exciting part of problem solving process :)

(A) (x+z)/z ( 2+2)/2 or (2+1)1
(B) (y+z)/x (6+1)/2= non integer or (6+2)/2 integer
(C) (x+y)/z 2+6/1 or 2+6/2
(D) (xy)/z 2*6/1 or 3*6/2
(E) (yz)/x 6*1/2 , 6*1/2 6*2/3 etc 
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [2]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
dave13 wrote:
Hey everyone,

this question took me 7 minutes to solve correctly, is there any shortcut for dummies to solve this quckly ? :? :)

here is my solution :) its only 30sec read, please read it below you wont get bored :)

Let y be 6
Then x = 2 or x =3
Z =1 or z =2

x is a factor of y -----> 2 is factor of 6
x is a multiple of z -----> 2 is multiple of 1

so let`s test them; this is the most exciting part of problem solving process :)

(A) (x+z)/z ( 2+2)/2 or (2+1)1
(B) (y+z)/x (6+1)/2= non integer or (6+2)/2 integer
(C) (x+y)/z 2+6/1 or 2+6/2
(D) (xy)/z 2*6/1 or 3*6/2
(E) (yz)/x 6*1/2 , 6*1/2 6*2/3 etc 

Hi dave13

In fact what your method i.e. substitution works best for this question and is the fastest route. try \(z=1\), \(x=2\) & \(y=4\). remember from question stem you should have realized that \(y>x>z\), hence you should pick the smallest number for \(z\) for easy calculation and then work upwards.

Algebraic approach -

given \(y=kx\) (where \(k\) is a constant) and \(x=qz\) (where \(q\) is a constant). In the options I could see that only \(x\) & \(z\) are in the denominators so

\(\frac{y}{x}=k=integer\) and \(\frac{x}{z}=q=integer\). with this understanding scan the options

A) \(\frac{(x+z)}{z}=\frac{x}{z}+\frac{z}{z}=integer+1=integer\)

(B) \(\frac{(y+z)}{x}=\frac{y}{x}+\frac{z}{x}=integer+non-integer=non-integer\)

(C) \(\frac{(x+y)}{z}=\frac{x}{z}+\frac{y}{z}=integer+integer=integer\)

(D) \(\frac{(xy)}{z}=y*\frac{x}{z}=y*integer=integer\)

(E) \(\frac{(yz)}{x}=\frac{y}{x}*z=integer*z=integer\)

Hence our answer is B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi niks18,

You have to be careful about the assumptions you make about the given information. At NO point does the prompt state that Y > X.

In my approach, I used X=2, Y=2, Z=1 and found the correct answer WITHOUT having to check 3 of the options.

Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi niks18,

You have to be careful about the assumptions you make about the given information. At NO point does the prompt state that Y > X.

In my approach, I used X=2, Y=2, Z=1 and found the correct answer WITHOUT having to check 3 of the options.

Rich

EMPOWERgmatRichC
Thank you for this explanation. To clarify, isn't it always best practice to check all of the answer choices when testing values? Or, are you able to get away with not checking all the choices when testing values for this specific type of question (no actual values are given)?

Thanks again!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi niks18,

Rich

EMPOWERgmatRichC
Thank you for this explanation. To clarify, isn't it always best practice to check all of the answer choices when testing values? Or, are you able to get away with not checking all the choices when testing values for this specific type of question (no actual values are given)?

Thanks again!

Hi woohoo921,

Yes - when TESTing VALUES, you would normally check all 5 answer choices (for whatever result you were looking for). Here though, with the way that the prompt is written, we'll know immediately what the correct answer is when we see it (it's the one that won't always be an integer). Once we find the one answer that fits this description, then we can stop working.

Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

If x, y, and z are positive integers such that x is a factor of y, and x is a multiple of z, which of the following is NOT necessarily an integer?

(A) (x+z)/z
(B) (y+z)/x
(C) (x+y)/z
(D) (xy)/z
(E) (yz)/x

Given: \(z\) goes into \(x\) and \(x\) goes into \(y\). Note that it's not necessarily means that \(z<x<y\), it means that \(z\leq{x}\leq{y}\) (for example all three can be equal x=y=z=1);

Now, in all options but B we can factor out the denominator from the nominator and reduce it. For example in A: \(\frac{x+z}{z}\) as \(z\) goes into \(x\) we can factor out it and reduce to get an integer result (or algebraically as \(x=zk\) for some positive integer \(k\) then \(\frac{x+z}{z}=\frac{zk+z}{z}=\frac{z(k+1)}{z}=k+1=integer\)).

But in B. \(\frac{y+z}{x}\) we can not be sure that we'll be able factor out \(x\) from \(z\) thus this option might not be an integer (for example x=y=4 and z=2).

Answer: B.

Alternately you could juts plug some smart numbers and the first option which would give a non-integer result would be the correct choice.

I approached it differently and found the answer, but i am wondering if my methods was lucky this timeor if it is a good one.
I basically though that : there i a relation between x and y; there is a relation between x and z.
But i can't find relation between y and z so (y + z) / x can't be determined as an interger or not.
was i lucky or did i use a trcik that work 100% of the time?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Send PM
I used x as 4, y as 8 and z as 2, and all the choices were integers. Can someone help with this? Bunuel KarishmaB
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618876 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

sanyashah wrote:
I used x as 4, y as 8 and z as 2, and all the choices were integers. Can someone help with this? Bunuel KarishmaB

­
The question asks: "which of the following is NOT necessarily an integer?" All options except B are always integers. However, B might be an integer, for specific ser of numbers, and might not be for another. Hence, option B is  NOT necessarily an integer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply

sanyashah wrote:

Further,the post here may help.
It explains the difference between Must be true and Could be true.
­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92904 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts