It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 10:46

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 136066 [0], given: 12724

If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 00:11
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:49) correct 24% (03:55) wrong based on 201 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tough and Tricky questions: Properties of Numbers.

If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the actual square of an even prime number, then what is the units digit of x^y?

A. 0
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 136066 [0], given: 12724

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 487 [1], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2014, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:

If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the actual square of an even prime number, then what is the units digit of x^y?

A. 0
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8

even prime number is 2, and its square=4

thus y=4k ;k=1,2,3,,,,,
and x=4

x^y=4^4k; unit digit of 4 is 4 if its power is odd, else it is 6. now since 4k will always be even. therefore the unit digit of 4^4k will always be 6.

Kudos [?]: 487 [1], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 2794 [1], given: 193

Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 21:03
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

A. 0
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8

Only even prime number = 2; its square = 4

This problem is asking units digit of \(4^4 = 4 * 4 * 4 * 4\)

Units digit = 6

Answer = D

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Kudos [?]: 2794 [1], given: 193

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 169

GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)
Re: If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2015, 15:38
Since y/4 is an integer (no remainder) then y is a multiple of 4.
y=4,8,12,16 etc etc
x=2^2=4

So, we are looking for sth like 4^4, 0r 4^8.
We could already see that the units digit is6,(4^4=16), but let's test it using the cyclicity of 4:
4^1=4
4^2=16
4^3=64 here the patterns repeats itself.

So, every even power results in a units digit of 6, ANS D.

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 169

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2017, 10:39
Bunuel wrote:

A. 0
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8

This problem is best tackled via making a table.

We know that x = 4 since it's the square of the only even prime, 2. We know that y is a multiple of 4.

Y | 4^y
0 | 1 --> technically 0 is a multiple of any number, but since 1 is not in the answer choices we can ignore.
4 | = 2^8 = 256
8 | 2^16

At this point, the numbers become too big to compute in a reasonable amount of time, but since it's a PS problem we know only one value can be correct, so as long as we find this one value (4^4 = 256), then we are all set and do not need to compute any other values in the table. The units digit is 6.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 08:41
I don't understand why the exponent(y) musst be 4.
Because every multiple of 4 is devisible by 4. So y could be 4,8,16...?
So why do we have to take just even squares of 4?
"If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number...." Yes the number is 2, the square is 4. But why can y not be every multiple of 4?
Than the answer could be C or D..
Can someone explain please?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 409 [1], given: 648

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:

A. 0
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6
E. 8

Dokami wrote:
I don't understand why the exponent(y) musst be 4.
Because every multiple of 4 is devisible by 4. So y could be 4,8,16...?
So why do we have to take just even squares of 4?
"If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number...." Yes the number is 2, the square is 4. But why can y not be every multiple of 4?
Than the answer could be C or D..
Can someone explain please?

Dokami ,I think you might be confusing what \(y\) can have as its units digit with what \(x^{y}\) can have as its units digit.

x is the actual square of an even prime number. There is only one even prime: 2. x = 4

y is divisible by the square of an even prime number: y is divisible by 4; y is a multiple of 4.

y can be any multiple of 4.

We need the units digit of \(x^{y}\). That means \(4^{y}\). We are dealing with the cycles created by 4 raised to powers ("cyclicity"). Cyclicity determines units digits.

\(4^1 = 4\)
\(4^2 = 16\)
\(4^3 = 64\)
\(4^4 = 256\)
\(4^5\) = (--6) * 4= __\(4\)
\(4^6\) = ___\(6\)
\(4^7\) = ___\(4\)
\(4^8\) = ___\(6\)

Look at the units digits. They alternate. Odd powers of four end in 4. Even powers of four end in 6. In fact, when listing, in order, numbers to powers, you need only to multiply the units digits.

If the exponent is even, 4 raised to that even power ends in 6. Every multiple of 4 is even. \(x^{y}\), where \(x\) = 4 and \(y\) is a multiple, will have a units digit of 6.

Bunuel explains LAST DIGIT OF A POWER, here. Scroll down.

Hope it helps. :-)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [1], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
I think I got it.
Please correct me if I am wrong: Because y could be 4,8,12... we have to check the solutions for 4^4, 4^8, 4^12,....
And because 4,8,12... are even, we have to check the solutions for cyclicity like you have done above.
And here we can see that the units digit is "6", if we rise a even number. :-)

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
Dokami wrote:
I think I got it.
Please correct me if I am wrong: Because y could be 4,8,12... we have to check the solutions for 4^4, 4^8, 4^12,....
And because 4,8,12... are even, we have to check the solutions for cyclicity like you have done above.
And here we can see that the units digit is "6", if we rise a even number. :-)

Very, very close! Just one little change: You wrote, "we have to check the solutions for 4^4, 4^8, 4^12."

You do not have to check more than one multiple of 4, where 4 = y = exponent.
What matters is the pattern created by x = 4 raised to a power:
Odd exponent? \(x^{y}\) ends in 4
Even exponent?\(x^{y}\) ends in 6. Every single multiple of 4 is even. If we raise 4 (x = 4) to any even power, the units digit is 6.

I might misunderstand you. Maybe we are saying the same thing. (It is a bit confusing because we have two 4s: x, the base, and y, the multiple of 4.)

I just do not want you to think you have to check more than one multiple of 4 when 4= exponent = y = multiple of 4. You don't. All exponents that are multiples of four are even, so they all end in 6, and you could be there all day. :-) The highlighted part of what you wrote is what matters. Nice work.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
Yes I defenitely got it. Thanks a lot!
Yes, it was difficult understand each other due to the two 4s. But finally it is very understandable :-)

Re: If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the a   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2017, 08:40

If y is divisible by the square of an even prime number and x is the a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap