GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 6
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Oct 2012, 03:39
7
33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:15) correct 32% (01:18) wrong based on 1264 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

Originally posted by blackcrow on 01 Sep 2009, 04:06.
Last edited by Bunuel on 19 Oct 2012, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59121
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 03:26
5
7
144144 wrote:
jeeteshsingh wrote:
blackcrow wrote:
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2
d) 3
e) 4

I can't get question right, can anyone help me?


7^131 Mod 5
= (7 Mod 5) ^ 131
= 2 ^ 131
= (2 Mod 5)^ 130 * (2 Mod 5)
= (4 Mod 5)^65 * 2
= (-1)^65 * 2
= -2

Therefore remainder = 5-2 = 3 (since -2 obtained is negative)

Therefore D


can someone plz explain me this other way? thanks.


Check this first: 218-if-x-and-y-are-positive-integers-what-is-the-remainder-109636.html#p875157

If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?
A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

Last digit of 7^(positive integer) repeats in blocks of 4: {7, 9, 3, 1} - {7, 9, 3, 1} - ... (cyclicity of 7 in power is 4).

As the remainder upon division 131 by 4 (cyclicity) is 3 then the last digit of 7^131 is the same as that of 7^3 so 3 (the third digit from the pattern {7, 9, 3, 1}). Now, any positive integer ending with 3 upon division by 5 yields the remainder of 3.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 133
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2009, 05:31
2
4
whenever you come across a question like this :-- a number raised to higher power of integer divided by 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9..
and asking for remainder...then, the question is actually asking for the unit digit of the numerator..

now,
3^4 has a unit digit of 1 => unit digit of 1 will repeat after every fourth power of 3.

6 to the power anything, always has a unit digit of 6

7^4 also has a unit digit of 1 => unit digit of 1 will repeat after every fourth power of 7

now, 151 = 148 + 3

7^148 * 7^3 = unit digit of 1 * unit digit of 3 = unit digit of 3..

any number divided by 5 gives remainder = unit digit of the number, when unit digit is less than 5

and (unit digit - 5) , when unit digit is greator than 5
General Discussion
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 618
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2009, 04:18
1
2
Same as asking

If you divide 7^3 by 5, which remainder do you get?
hence OA must be d) 3

because 131=4(K) + 3

now where from I am getting these
follow the pattern

when you place 1,you get 7^1 and results in 7 in unit digit

1---7
2---49--hence 9
3---343---hence 3
4--1


now its repeated


5-7
6-9
7-3
8-1
so on..

131=128+3=4(32)+3

hope i am making sense:)


blackcrow wrote:
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2
d) 3
e) 4

I can't get question right, can anyone help me?

_________________
http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 29
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2009, 08:50
blackcrow wrote:
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2
d) 3
e) 4

I can't get question right, can anyone help me?


If you look at the power of 7, it shows a repeated trend at the Unit's digit. For e.g.:
7^1 = 7 (7 at unit place)
7^2 = 49 (9 at unit place)
7^3 = 343 (3 at unit place)
7^4 = 2401 (1 at unit place)
7^5 = 16807 (7 at unit place)

So if you see, this trend of 7,9,3,1......7,9,3,1.......repeats itself.
7^131 will give 3 as unit's digit and when it is divided by 5, it will give the remainder as 3.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 305
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2009, 09:27
2
when you divide 7 by 5 we get 2 as remainder

so now we can write it as 7^131 \ 5 = 2 ^131 \ 5

= 2^ 120 * 2^ 11 \ 5
= (2^4)^30 * 2048 ( when we multiply 2^11 we will get the value as 2048)
= 16^30 * 2048
= 1^ 30 * 2048 ( when we divide 16 by 5 the remainder is 1 so 1^30 = 1

finally divide 2048 by 5 and u get the remainder = 3

hence 1 * 3 = 3

So answer is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 305
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2009, 09:36
5
there is another easy method

cyclicity of 7 = 4

so when we divide 131 by 4 we get 3 as remainder

therefore 7^3 = 343

now divide 343 by 5 and u get the remainder as 3

so answer is D........

Note : cyclicity is used to find the last digit of the number i.e in case of powers it is specially usefull
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 65
Reviews Badge
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2009, 20:19
7*7*7*7= xxx1 -> only last digit is important.

you can use this for 32 time and get to 7^128 and last digit will be 1.

1 *7*7*7 = 343 and divided by 5 leaves a remainder of 3.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 244
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2010, 07:24
1
blackcrow wrote:
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

a) 0
b) 1
c) 2
d) 3
e) 4

I can't get question right, can anyone help me?


7^131 Mod 5
= (7 Mod 5) ^ 131
= 2 ^ 131
= (2 Mod 5)^ 130 * (2 Mod 5)
= (4 Mod 5)^65 * 2
= (-1)^65 * 2
= -2

Therefore remainder = 5-2 = 3 (since -2 obtained is negative)

Therefore D
_________________
Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|


~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 11:18
7^1 = 7 => 7/5 has R2
7^2 = 49 => 49/5 has R4
7^3 = 343 => 343/5 has R3
7^4 = 2401 =>2401/5 has R1
7^5 = 16807 => 16807/5 has R2

So it repeats every 4. 131/4 = 128 R3
So 7^128 / 5 has the same remainder as 7^4 /5
7^129 / 5 has the same remainder as 7^1 / 5
7^130 / 5 has the same remainder as 7^2 / 5
7^131 / 5 has the same remainder as 7^3 / 5, which is 3.

The answer is 3.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59121
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 13:08
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1553
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2014, 05:37
Actually in my sleep yesterday it occurred to me that something such as the following could be done.
Please advice is this method is not indeed flawed

Whenever we have 5 in the denominator we can multiply both numerator and denominator by 2 so we get 10 in the denominator and therefore we can just find the units digit in the numerator

It would be something like this

7^131/5 = 7^131*2/10

7 has cyclisity of 7,9,3,1 therefore units digit is 3*2=6 but since we multiplied by 2, then 3

Answer is thus 3

* Remember that the remainder of a number when divided by 2 is the units digit. Likewise, the remainder of a number when divided by 100 are the last two digits

Hope it makes sense
Cheers
J
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9785
Location: Pune, India
Re: If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2014, 22:31
jlgdr wrote:
Actually in my sleep yesterday it occurred to me that something such as the following could be done.
Please advice is this method is not indeed flawed

Whenever we have 5 in the denominator we can multiply both numerator and denominator by 2 so we get 10 in the denominator and therefore we can just find the units digit in the numerator

It would be something like this

7^131/5 = 7^131*2/10

7 has cyclisity of 7,9,3,1 therefore units digit is 3*2=6 but since we multiplied by 2, then 3

Answer is thus 3

* Remember that the remainder of a number when divided by 2 is the units digit. Likewise, the remainder of a number when divided by 100 are the last two digits

Hope it makes sense
Cheers
J


Your method is correct but for this question. If you generalize it, it could be flawed. The reason is this: if there is a number with units digit as 6 (e.g. .......6), when you divide it by 2, the last digit could be 3 but it could also be 8. Here we know that we multiplied a power of 7 so the last digit CANNOT be 8 so your method is fine but be careful when you try to generalize it.

Also, you don't need to multiply by 2 to make the denominator 10. Even when the denominator is 5, the last digit is enough to give you the remainder. If the last digit is from 0 to 4, the remainder is the same as the last digit. If the last digit is from 5 to 9, remainder is (last digit - 5).
7^131 ends with 3 so remainder when divided by 5 must be 3.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2013
Posts: 48
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2014, 11:36
Check this first: 218-if-x-and-y-are-positive-integers-what-is-the-remainder-109636.html#p875157

If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?
A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

Last digit of 7^(positive integer) repeats in blocks of 4: {7, 9, 3, 1} - {7, 9, 3, 1} - ... (cyclicity of 7 in power is 4).

As the remainder upon division 131 by 4 (cyclicity) is 3 then the last digit of 7^131 is the same as that of 7^3 so 3 (the third digit from the pattern {7, 9, 3, 1}). Now, any positive integer ending with 3 upon division by 5 yields the remainder of 3.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.[/quote]

bunuel, as per the theory in gmat club math book "When a smaller integer is divided by a larger integer, the quotient is 0 and the remainder is the smaller
integer." i tried solving the above sum and got the correct answer just want to know whether the method is correct or not , as 3 is smaller than 5 so the remainder would be 3

thanks :)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59121
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2014, 07:41
adymehta29 wrote:

bunuel, as per the theory in gmat club math book "When a smaller integer is divided by a larger integer, the quotient is 0 and the remainder is the smaller
integer." i tried solving the above sum and got the correct answer just want to know whether the method is correct or not , as 3 is smaller than 5 so the remainder would be 3

thanks :)


Yes, 3 divided by 5 gives the remainder o f 3. I don't understand the rest of your post though...
_________________
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9785
Location: Pune, India
Re: question about remainders  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2014, 23:27
1
adymehta29 wrote:
Check this first: 218-if-x-and-y-are-positive-integers-what-is-the-remainder-109636.html#p875157

If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?
A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

Last digit of 7^(positive integer) repeats in blocks of 4: {7, 9, 3, 1} - {7, 9, 3, 1} - ... (cyclicity of 7 in power is 4).

As the remainder upon division 131 by 4 (cyclicity) is 3 then the last digit of 7^131 is the same as that of 7^3 so 3 (the third digit from the pattern {7, 9, 3, 1}). Now, any positive integer ending with 3 upon division by 5 yields the remainder of 3.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.

bunuel, as per the theory in gmat club math book "When a smaller integer is divided by a larger integer, the quotient is 0 and the remainder is the smaller
integer." i tried solving the above sum and got the correct answer just want to know whether the method is correct or not , as 3 is smaller than 5 so the remainder would be 3

thanks :)


Hey Bunuel,

If you don't mind, I think I see the problem Ady is facing so I will take it up.

Note that the gmat club math book says "When a smaller integer is divided by a larger integer, the quotient is 0 and the remainder is the smaller
integer."

So when 3 is divided by 5, remainder is 3. When 10 is divided by 39, remainder is 10 and so on...

But in this question, you have \(7^{131}\) divided by 5. You find that \(7^{131}\) ends in 3. This means it is a number which looks something like this:
\(7^{131} = 510320.....75683\) (a huge number that ends in 3. Other than 3, I have used some random digits.)

So the remainder is 3 not because 3 is smaller than 5. The actual number is much much bigger than 5. For example, if you have 276543 divided by 5, will you say that the number is smaller than 5 and hence the remainder is 3? No. The remainder is 3 because the number ends in 3 and when you divide such a number by 5, you know that the number which is 3 steps before it i.e. 276540 in this case, is a multiple of 5 (every number ending in 0 or 5 is a multiple of 5). That is the reason that you will be left with 3 when you divide this number by 5.

Similarly, 4367 divided by 5 leaves remainder 2 because 4365 is divisible by 5 and so on...

The first part of this post discusses remainders in case of division by 5: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2014/03 ... emainders/
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 17
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 00:51
hi guys, the cycle is 7,9,3,1 and unite digit is 3 here so when we divide 3/5 the remainder is 3, how come it comes 3? please explain
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59121
Re: If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 02:35
1
imtisalsiddiqui wrote:
hi guys, the cycle is 7,9,3,1 and unite digit is 3 here so when we divide 3/5 the remainder is 3, how come it comes 3? please explain


Your question is not clear. Any positive integer ending with 3 upon division by 5 yields the remainder of 3:

3 divided by 5 gives the remainder of 3;
13 divided by 5 gives the remainder of 3;
23 divided by 5 gives the remainder of 3;
...
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 17
Re: If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 03:09
Thanks for clearing up my confusion, understood!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1701
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 23:55
blackcrow wrote:
If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4


7 has cyclicity of 4 = 7, 9, 3, 1

Dividing 131 by 4, we get remainder 3

In cyclicity, third term we have is "3"

Hence (D)
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 23:55

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

If you divide 7^131 by 5, which remainder do you get?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne