Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:35 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619867 [3]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 616 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.8
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: IMD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi I am an Indian male, 32, with 12 yrs experience nuclear and coal power plants. I have experience leading operations teams. I graduated from an IIT. I have a GMAT score of 740, CGPA of 7.14/10. I intend to apply to European schools such as HEC, IMD and INSEAD. Considering my experience being way above the class averages of these schools, I am skeptical of my chances. Any insights would be helpful

Posted from my mobile device
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi peevesfrank,

Thank you for your post! You have provided a very brief profile for yours to review. Your stats appear to be fair, and your GMAT score is higher than the average. It is tough to evaluate because you have not provided much information regarding your work experience. I believe your 12 years of work experience must help you bring examples of leadership, impact, and innovation. Let's address the elephant in the room: you're an older candidate. Since MBA is meant for those in the early stages of their careers, age becomes a critical aspect. Now, how can you make your case more compelling? Consider the following question: "Why MBA?" And, "Why an MBA now?" And fill your head with strong reasons to get an MBA. If you're clear about it, you'll be able to solve the majority of the problem. The rest is up to your application, how you connect the dots, and how well you write your essays.

Overall, I'd like to learn more about your profile, such as your work experience in detail, post-MBA aspirations, ECs, and so on, in order to assess your chances better. INSEAD, HEC, and IMD are open for applicants over 30. You should also include NUS in your list, it also accepts applicants above the age of 30. You may want to read an article on is mba over 30 a good investment, it will give you some insight on how to improve your odds if you are 30+ and instill the right confidence in you:)

We are glad to assist you with European schools and INSEAD, as our consultant is an INSEAD alum who understands the school's mission (have a 100 percent success rate for INSEAD aspirants). Furthermore, we have extensive knowledge of European schools and can assist you in better understanding these institutions. (Read one of the INSEAD success stories here). If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile in length and further chances to the EU schools. Feel free to book a free session with us at your convenience.

Join Oriana & Keerthana for a webinar on - How to build a strong application with GMAT prep

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Profile Analyst & Channel Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

peevesfrank wrote:
Hi I am an Indian male, 32, with 12 yrs experience nuclear and coal power plants. I have experience leading operations teams. I graduated from an IIT. I have a GMAT score of 740, CGPA of 7.14/10. I intend to apply to European schools such as HEC, IMD and INSEAD. Considering my experience being way above the class averages of these schools, I am skeptical of my chances. Any insights would be helpful

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.15
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hi, need help with profile evaluation for IMD Jan'24 intake:

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: Yet to give

Experience:7.5 years (by Jan'24)- experience in railway signalling operations, leading, and executing complex railway signalling projects. One year of International Experience in working in Fortune 500 MNC with cross-cultural teams in 4 different countries (Israel, Singapore, Japan & South Korea).

2021-2023 – Indian Railways : Role: Executive Signal & Telecom Engineer, Projects
• Led two teams of 10 engineers and technicians to execute railway signalling projects.
• Managed four different brownfield mainline signalling projects with a Capex spending of $34.5m in 2 years.
• Successfully upgraded railway signalling systems in three stations with Solid State Interlocking (Electronic Interlocking) systems and seven block sections (with Axle counters), thereby reducing train detentions due to signalling failures and improving the punctuality of trains.

2019-2021 – Indian Railways : Role: Assistant Divisional Signal & Telecom Engineer
• Headed 200+ people from six different teams.
• Oversaw the operations and maintenance activities of railway signalling and telecommunication systems in 17 Stations and 17 double-line automatic block sections in a jurisdiction of 200 km.
• Received an award from the Principal Head of the Department for reducing failures.
• Received a letter of appreciation from the Divisional Railway Manager for the quick restoration of train services in the mainline affected due to derailment.
• Selected for MEXT Scholarship, Japan, through Embassy recommendation to pursue research in High-Speed Rail Technology from Waseda University, Tokyo.

2017-2019 – Indian Railways: Role: Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineer (Probationer)
• Secured All India Rank 17 in Engineering Services Examination out of 1,75,000 engineering applicants.
• Obtained training in railway signalling and telecommunications concepts from the Indian Railway Institute of Signal and Telecommunication

2017-2017 – KLA
Fortune 500 MNC based in the USA, a leading supplier of process control and yield management systems for the semiconductor industry.
Applications Development Engineer
• Trained in Darkfield Microscopy for defect identification in semiconductor wafers.

2015-2016 – Applied Materials India, Israel, Singapore, South Korea & Japan
Fortune 500 MNC based in the USA, a global leader in materials engineering solutions that manufacture semiconductors and other electronic devices.
Applications Engineer
• Trained in Israel in Scanning Electron Microscopy for metrology applications on semiconductor chips.
• International work experience in providing technical support to customers in the semiconductor fabs across Singapore (~ 4 months), South Korea (~ 4 months) & Japan (1 month)
• Collaborated with sales and product teams to identify customer needs and develop solutions for advanced Memory and Integrated Circuit (IC) chips in production.

2013-2015– Rajiv Gandhi University for Knowledge Technologies, India
A University established by Govt. of Telangana, India, to provide high-quality educational opportunities for the rural youth of Telangana
Lecturer
• Taught Microwave Engineering & VLSI Technology to 3rd and 4th Year Undergraduate students.

Education:
1. MS, IIT Madras (8.4/10), leadership experience, published 2 research papers.
2. JNTU Hyderabad (78%)

Extra-Curricular: Blogging (4.8 million views, 7.5K Followers) on Quora - motivated and guided 10+ engineers to pursue careers in engineering services.

Memberships/Certifications: Member of the Institution of Railway Signal Engineers, UK (MIRSE), PMP Certified, working towards professional registration (CEng) - expected by September 23.

Career Aspirations: Pursue a career in Railway Industry (Siemens/Alstom/Stadler) in Europe.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
karthikuppu wrote:

Experience:7.5 years (by Jan'24)- experience in railway signalling operations, leading, and executing complex railway signalling projects. One year of International Experience in working in Fortune 500 MNC with cross-cultural teams in 4 different countries (Israel, Singapore, Japan & South Korea).

2021-2023 – Indian Railways : Role: Executive Signal & Telecom Engineer, Projects
• Led two teams of 10 engineers and technicians to execute railway signalling projects.
• Managed four different brownfield mainline signalling projects with a Capex spending of $34.5m in 2 years.
• Successfully upgraded railway signalling systems in three stations with Solid State Interlocking (Electronic Interlocking) systems and seven block sections (with Axle counters), thereby reducing train detentions due to signalling failures and improving the punctuality of trains.

2019-2021 – Indian Railways : Role: Assistant Divisional Signal & Telecom Engineer
• Oversaw the operations and maintenance activities of railway signalling and telecommunication systems in 17 Stations and 17 double-line automatic block sections in a jurisdiction of 200 km.
• Received an award from the Principal Head of the Department for reducing failures.
• Received a letter of appreciation from the Divisional Railway Manager for the quick restoration of train services in the mainline affected due to derailment.
• Selected for MEXT Scholarship, Japan, through Embassy recommendation to pursue research in High-Speed Rail Technology from Waseda University, Tokyo.

2017-2019 – Indian Railways: Role: Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineer (Probationer)
• Secured All India Rank 17 in Engineering Services Examination out of 1,75,000 engineering applicants.
• Obtained training in railway signalling and telecommunications concepts from the Indian Railway Institute of Signal and Telecommunication

2017-2017 – KLA
Fortune 500 MNC based in the USA, a leading supplier of process control and yield management systems for the semiconductor industry.
• Trained in Darkfield Microscopy for defect identification in semiconductor wafers.

Fortune 500 MNC based in the USA, a global leader in materials engineering solutions that manufacture semiconductors and other electronic devices.
Applications Engineer
• Trained in Israel in Scanning Electron Microscopy for metrology applications on semiconductor chips.
• International work experience in providing technical support to customers in the semiconductor fabs across Singapore (~ 4 months), South Korea (~ 4 months) & Japan (1 month)
• Collaborated with sales and product teams to identify customer needs and develop solutions for advanced Memory and Integrated Circuit (IC) chips in production.

A University established by Govt. of Telangana, India, to provide high-quality educational opportunities for the rural youth of Telangana
Lecturer
• Taught Microwave Engineering & VLSI Technology to 3rd and 4th Year Undergraduate students.

Education:
2. JNTU Hyderabad (78%)

Extra-Curricular: Blogging (4.8 million views, 7.5K Followers) on Quora - motivated and guided 10+ engineers to pursue careers in engineering services.

Memberships/Certifications: Member of the Institution of Railway Signal Engineers, UK (MIRSE), PMP Certified, working towards professional registration (CEng) - expected by September 23.

Career Aspirations: Pursue a career in Railway Industry (Siemens/Alstom/Stadler) in Europe.

Greetings karthikuppu!
It's a pleasure to delve into your unique profile that blends technology and railway operations at a high level. Let's take a detailed look at your profile:

- Academically, your profile is quite strong with an MS from IIT Madras and numerous certifications that align with your work in railway signalling operations. While your GMAT score is yet to be obtained, aiming for a score above 720 could position you more favorably given your age and the competitive nature of Indian applicants. Keep in mind thought that a ~700 would be fine for IMD, and the 720+ recommendation is for other schools you may want to apply to.

- With your career aspirations focused on continuing within the Railway industry in Europe, your profile offers valuable experience and specialized knowledge. It's impressive to note your international experience across different countries, which demonstrates your ability to work effectively in diverse, cross-cultural teams.

- Your work experience shows a solid trajectory in railway signalling operations, with a progression into leadership roles. The international exposure, coupled with a transition from academia to industry, adds a unique flavor to your profile. However, the railway industry is not a traditional feeder to MBA programs, nor a typical destination for MBA graduates, which could pose challenges in effectively communicating the transferability of your skills and clear expression of your post-MBA goal and its relevance to the MBA itself.

- We advise you to clearly articulate why you're seeking an MBA and how it fits into your long-term career goals. Given your specialized industry, emphasizing transferable skills, leadership roles, and impact on the business will be crucial. Research IMD's program and tailor your application to highlight how IMD's curriculum and resources will help you achieve your career goals. While you do have international exposure as part of your profile, IMD is typically keen on international experience, and this might hurt your app a bit. While you can apply to IMD, expand your portfolio of target schools a bit beyond IMD as well.

- One thing that stands out is your Quora blogging with a large following. This shows your ability to inspire and influence, which is an important leadership trait. This could be a strong talking point in your application, tying it back to your leadership potential and your ability to contribute to the IMD community.

We hope this evaluation has been insightful. Feel free to post more queries here or contact us directly for a deeper discussion. We've worked with several people from IR backgrounds and would be happy to help.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
peevesfrank wrote:

Hello there! You have good depth of experience in the nuclear and coal power plants sector. We find it impressive and truly unique. Here's our detailed assessment of your profile. Though it's been a while since you posted, putting this out there in case it helps:

- Your academic and GMAT credentials are strong. With a score of 740, you're well within the competitive range for the European schools you're targeting. The GPA might be a tad lower compared to some applicants, but your IIT brand and experience in a challenging industry could compensate for that. Extra-curriculars weren't mentioned, so if there are any leadership or community involvements you've had, it'd be beneficial to highlight those.

- It's evident that your industry is highly specialized and technical. The challenge lies in translating this experience into business-oriented language that admission committees would appreciate. Given your goals aren't explicitly mentioned, we encourage you to articulate them clearly. Convey how an MBA fits into your career trajectory, especially why specifically an European MBA, and how you plan to leverage your unique experience post-MBA.

- Your rich experience in leading operations teams in the power plants sector differentiates you from many applicants. Career transitions aren't mentioned, but if there have been any, it'd be valuable to demonstrate your adaptability and growth. Commonly, candidates from your industry face challenges in highlighting transferable skills and experiences relevant to business management roles. Our past clients often found it beneficial to emphasize project management, leadership and cross-functional team coordination experiences.

- The experience and international exposure (we are assuming you have no international experience) could be factors here. As you've mentioned skepticism due to being above the average class experience, it's indeed a valid concern but not necessarily a deal breaker. HEC and IMD have accepted applicants at your experience level in the past, but it may be worthwhile to have a chat with them before you apply as many of these decisions are more on a case by case basis. INSEAD will probably suggest that you apply to the EMBA instead. Also go through this article on other options you can consider.

We hope this evaluation provides some clarity and direction. Feel free to post additional queries or contact us directly. We're here to help!
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
karthikuppu wrote:

2017-2017 – KLA

Applications Engineer

Lecturer

Education:
2. JNTU Hyderabad (78%)

Hi karthikuppu,

Based on the information you've provided, here's an evaluation of your profile for IMD:

Experience: With 7.5 years of experience by January 2024, you bring a good level of professional maturity and industry expertise to the table. This can be an advantage in terms of contributing to class discussions and peer learning

Work Experience: Leading teams, managing projects and a good career trajectory overall. So this is a strong area in your profile. Make sure you showcase your individual contributions and impactful projects in your applications.

International Experience: Your one year of international experience working with cross-cultural teams in different countries adds diversity to your profile. This will add weightage to your profile.

Education: IIT Madras is a reputed name. So this, combined with your good GPA, is another positive aspect of your profile. The research papers and certifications are good enhancements too.

Extra-Curricular Activities: This is a potential spike factor in your profile. Not many people have that kind of extensive involvement on Quora/forums. You need to highlight this aspect in your applications to showcase your ability to influence and guide others. This demonstrates both your thought leadership and your willingness to contribute beyond your professional work.

Career Aspirations: Your goal of pursuing a career in the railway industry in Europe aligns well with your background and experience. All MBA programs value career focus and look for candidates with specific and achievable career goals, both short term and long term. Communicate these goals effectively in your applications, drawing a clear line from where you are today to where you want to be and where does the MBA fit in.

To improve your chances of admission to IMD or other top European schools, aim for a GMAT score of 720+
Make sure to explain why IMD is the right fit for your career aspirations and how you can contribute to the program and the broader MBA community through your unique experiences

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619867 [0]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Re: IMD Profile Evaluation Thread: Post all Profile Eval Requests Here [#permalink]
Expert Reply
IMD Profile Evaluation
Introducing New Better Profile Evaluations on GMAT Club!

Considering your application to a B-School? The first step in this significant journey is to evaluate your profile to gauge where you stand among the vast pool of applicants. We're excited to introduce a NEW and IMPROVED consolidated list of tools and platforms available on GMAT Club to assist you in this endeavor.