GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

impact of not submitting questions on score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stern PT '23
GPA: 3.3
impact of not submitting questions on score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 15:17
I just took my first real practice test and am mostly delighted with my scores, but, as expected, tanked quant a bit. I finished just under the wire but am an idiot and selected but didn't actually submit my final answer on question 36. What are the score implications?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
impact of not submitting questions on score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 17:05
Any question that you did not submit is not counted, thereby reducing your overall scaled score in that section.

The magnitude of the score reduction depends on the difficulty level of that question as gmat is computer adaptive.

BTW. as Integrated Reasoning is not adaptive, The magnitude of the score reduction (due to not submitting final answer) is less adaptive.

Nobody precisely knows the score algorithm in real gmat, anyway.

+1 kudo if you like my explanation
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: impact of not submitting questions on score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 06:49
donnaglaraway wrote:
I just took my first real practice test and am mostly delighted with my scores, but, as expected, tanked quant a bit. I finished just under the wire but am an idiot and selected but didn't actually submit my final answer on question 36. What are the score implications?

Hi donnaglaraway,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! Leaving a question unanswered on the GMAT does involve a penalty. While nothing can be said certainty about what the penalty is as nothing has been stated by GMAT officially, it is believed that it may cost anything between 1-2 points for each unanswered question. You can refer to this link to get a better picture of how the GMAT algorithm works. https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-format-g ... 69682.html

Hope this helps. All the best!
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 07:26
chondro48 wrote:
Any question that you did not submit is not counted, thereby reducing your overall scaled score in that section.

The magnitude of the score reduction depends on the difficulty level of that question as gmat is computer adaptive.

That is not the case. If you leave a question unanswered, the penalty does not depend at all on the difficulty level of that unanswered question. The difficulty level of a question only matters if you choose to answer the question - then if the question is easy, and you guess wrong, you'll be penalized more than if the question is hard. For that reason, it can sometimes be better not to finish the test than to guess randomly at the end, though statistically, that tends generally to be true only for low-level test takers. High-level test takers should finish each section, even if that means they need to guess to do so, though if we're taking about just one question at the end, it's not going to matter much for anyone.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stern PT '23
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2019, 12:48
thank you all for your detailed explanations. i took another practice test, finished, and ended up with a score in a very similar range, so clearly we're not talking a huge difference here regardless, and i learned a good lesson about clicking the submit button : )
GMAT Club Bot
Re: impact of not submitting questions on score   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2019, 12:48

impact of not submitting questions on score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep