GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 08:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User
If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:18) correct 14% (01:11) wrong based on 42 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,000 newspapers in six hours, how long does it take printing press B, running alone at its constant rate, to produce 27,000 newspapers?

(1) Running alone at their respective constant rates, printing press B produces two newspapers in the same amount of time that printing press A produces three newspapers.

(2) Running together at their respective constant rates, the two presses produce 7,500 newspapers in one hour.

Post your explanations ;)

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 08:23
SonGoku wrote:
If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces 27,000 newspapers in six hours, how long does it take printing press B, running alone at its constant rate, to produce 27,000 newspapers?

(1) Running alone at their respective constant rates, printing press B produces two newspapers in the same amount of time that printing press A produces three newspapers.

(2) Running together at their respective constant rates, the two presses produce 7,500 newspapers in one hour.

Post your explanations ;)

This essentially tells us that the efficiency of B is \(\frac{2}{3}\) of A
so B will take 9 hours
sufficient

A does 27000/6 per hour = 4500 per hour
B does 3000 per hour

sufficient

D
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 08:36
SonGoku wrote:

There's basically on need of any calculation on this question.
We need to know the concept of Work =Rate*Time

Question stems tells us that the Printing Press A can produce 27k newsP in 6hrs.
We have work and time. we can calculate the rate of working. No need to calculate, its sufficient to know that we can calculate the rate.

We have to calculate the Time PrintingP takes to do same amount of work.
SO basically we need the rate of work of PrintingP B.

Statement 1: Running alone at their respective constant rates, printing press B produces two newspapers in the same amount of time that printing press A produces three newspapers.
This means that the rate of work of PrintingP B is double the rate of work of A, which we already know.
Hence, we can calculate the time taken by PrintingP B to print 27k NewsP.
Sufficient.

Statement 2: Running together at their respective constant rates, the two presses produce 7,500 newspapers in one hour.
We know the individual rate of work of PrintingP A.
We are given the combined rates of work.
From this, we can calculate the rate of Work of PrintingP B. hence the time
Sufficient.

Answer: D

PS: There is absolutely no need to calculate the values here in this question. If you go for calculation, you are guaranteed to waste atleast 1.5 mins
Just checking the sufficiency of statements will hardly take more than 15-20 secs.
You can invest this precious time somewhere else, perhaps on a 700+ level question and attain Q51

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 08:36

If printing press A, running alone at its constant rate, produces

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap