Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [2]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [2]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: CUHK '21 (II)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Send PM
IMPORTANT! Need advice on when to give my GMAT :-( [#permalink]
Amanullah Khan wrote:
I had planned to give my GMAT on 24th September but at the last moment i.e. right now, i realised it is best to not give the exam. Reason ? Mock tests scores.
I gave on 21st and 22nd Sept respectively and my scores were
MGMAT Test 1 : 520 - 35Q 27V
GMAT Prep 2 : 560 - 42Q 25V
The scores for which i was preparing was 650ish. But now, my target score sortof got revised to 700ish.
It would be great if someone could help me out from the mess i am in!
Need advice on how much more time should i invest on getting my target GMAT score and how can i improve my verbal and quant scores during this gap. Any help will be much appreciated :-)

you can check "what to do if you are new" ,link is in signature.
This is how i prepared.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: IMPORTANT! Need advice on when to give my GMAT :-( [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Amanullah Khan wrote:
I had planned to give my GMAT on 24th September but at the last moment i.e. right now, i realised it is best to not give the exam. Reason ? Mock tests scores.
The scores for which i was preparing was 650ish. But now, my target score sortof got revised to 700ish.
Need advice on how much more time should i invest on getting my target GMAT score and how can i improve my verbal and quant scores during this gap. Any help will be much appreciated :-)

I agree with souvonik2k - you should go ahead and take the test. You can cancel your score if need be. It will give you invaluable experience on various aspects of test taking - type of questions, your comfort in each tested area, time management skills etc.

For a 150 point increase starting from 550, you will need to go through a complete curriculum since there would be many gaps. What prep material are you using currently? Once you reach the 650 level, you will need to focus on just a few areas which you can identify from your practice tests taken at that time.
The entire process will take at least 2-3 months.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Amanullah Khan wrote:

I agree with souvonik2k - you should go ahead and take the test. You can cancel your score if need be. It will give you invaluable experience on various aspects of test taking - type of questions, your comfort in each tested area, time management skills etc.

For a 150 point increase starting from 550, you will need to go through a complete curriculum since there would be many gaps. What prep material are you using currently? Once you reach the 650 level, you will need to focus on just a few areas which you can identify from your practice tests taken at that time.
The entire process will take at least 2-3 months.

I have subscribed to eGMAT verbal course and GMATClub Tests. In addition to that, i refer to MGMAT books and GMATClub forum.
I was only able to complete SC course in eGMAT due to time constraints. So, at the moment, i am carrying on with CR and RC course. Hoping to finish my preparation by 22nd November.
Unfortunately, last night i rescheduled the exam to Nov 22 because i got so lost in my thoughts and got panicked, even though i was aware of the cost of rescheduling within 7 days of exam date.
It would be good if you could provide me some sort of how i could divide my time between Verbal and Quant in this time gap.

Before I started with my prep, i had given a mock where i scored 450 with v18.
After improvements in SC, i was able to solve SC bit comfortably compared to the last time where i would be confused with multiple options.
In RC and CR, I am still freaking out. RC would take a lot of my time in reading whereas CR would keep me occupied in its puzzle for me to decide on which is the right answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amanullah Khan,

To start, raising a 450 to a 560 is a noteworthy achievement - and it shows that you have the capacity to learn and improve. That having been said, raising a 560 to a 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. With a November 22nd Test Date, you only have 2 months of study time. While you do not have to make any changes to that plan just yet, you might end up needing to push back that Test Date.

Additionally, as you continue to study, you should take no more than 1 practice CAT per week (and in the short term, you should probably plan for 1 CAT every 2 weeks or so).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any additional practice CATs besides the ones you listed? If you have, then how have you scored on each of them (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Amanullah Khan,

To start, raising a 450 to a 560 is a noteworthy achievement - and it shows that you have the capacity to learn and improve. That having been said, raising a 560 to a 700+ will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. With a November 22nd Test Date, you only have 2 months of study time. While you do not have to make any changes to that plan just yet, you might end up needing to push back that Test Date.

Additionally, as you continue to study, you should take no more than 1 practice CAT per week (and in the short term, you should probably plan for 1 CAT every 2 weeks or so).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any additional practice CATs besides the ones you listed? If you have, then how have you scored on each of them (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

1) for about 2 - 3 months
2) Verbal - eGMAT and GMATClub
Quant - MGMAT and GMATClub
3) Nope
4) 15th December onwards
5) ISB, NUS and NTU
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amanullah Khan,

Assuming that you're going to take the GMAT tomorrow (September 24th), then you should plan to post back here with your Scores. That data will help to define your current 'ability level' as well as how well you handle the overall Test Day "event" - and we can use all of that information to better plan out your studies going forward. To follow your application timeline/plans, you will have to be really 'efficient' with your time going forward, but with the proper study materials - and a focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics - you could improve a great deal in the time that you have.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Amanullah Khan,

Assuming that you're going to take the GMAT tomorrow (September 24th), then you should plan to post back here with your Scores. That data will help to define your current 'ability level' as well as how well you handle the overall Test Day "event" - and we can use all of that information to better plan out your studies going forward. To follow your application timeline/plans, you will have to be really 'efficient' with your time going forward, but with the proper study materials - and a focus on learning and practicing the proper Tactics - you could improve a great deal in the time that you have.

Rich

As I mentioned in one of the comments above, I rescheduled my GMAT exam date at the last moment cos i freaked out that i would score similar marks and would be no use to go and give the test.
I know its hard to formalise a proper plan for me to reach my target scores but based on my last comment to Karishma, if that helps, could u help me out?
Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amanullah Khan,

If the only score data that we have to work with is from those 2 CATs, then we would have to proceed under the assumption that you have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and that you will need a formal Study Plan that you can follow (that focuses on training you in the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics).

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for each of the Schools that you plan to apply to?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Amanullah Khan,

If the only score data that we have to work with is from those 2 CATs, then we would have to proceed under the assumption that you have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and that you will need a formal Study Plan that you can follow (that focuses on training you in the proper Quant and Verbal Tactics).

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
2) What are the exact application deadlines for each of the Schools that you plan to apply to?

Rich

1) During weekdays, i can spend around 2-3 hours and during weekends, 4-5 hours.
2) ISB's application deadline is on 15th Dec, NTU's is on 10th Jan and NUS's is on 31st Jan.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi amanullah Khan,

You may find this article on Personalized Study plans for 100+ Score Improvement helpful. Alternatively, you can go through the Your Study Plan course which is a part of your e-GMAT purchase to get all the information that you seek regarding GMAT preparation. You may also write to us at support@e-gmat.com for further queries.

Regards,
Aditee
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Amanullah Khan,

Based on everything that you’ve described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under 2 months, but your goal should NOT be to try to 'rush' through any of that material (you need the necessary training time to learn and master the proper Tactics - and that training might take you longer than 2 months). We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
You have received some highly valuable advice in this thread. The only thing I'd like to add is: get a tutor. You don't have that much time, and the score improvement you're aiming for is huge. There are occasionally some very disciplined individuals that managed to get from the mid-500's to the 700's; you can check these cases in the Share GMAT Experience forum, and you'll notice they are rare. For most working professionals, getting a tutor to keep track of their progress and to identify and fix their weaknesses is key in achieving a good GMAT score. More so if the starting point is low and the target is high. Hiring a tutor for 2 months doesn't cost that much - it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. The highest cost for you would be the time wasted on inefficient studying and on re-taking the test.

What you should be careful about is to hire a good tutor. Don't waste time and money on a cheap tutor that doesn't deliver. A bad score can cost you $10k or more. There are some reputable tutors on this forum; check their posting history and see whose style resonates with you. This is possibly the most important decision you'll make for your MBA applications and for your future career. Choose wisely.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI Amanullah Khan,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, I’m glad that you rescheduled your exam because you will need some time to improve your GMAT score by 140+ points. Since you scored a Q42/V25 on your latest mock exam, it’s clear that you lack some verbal and quant fundamentals. To improve your skills, you need to follow a study plan that allows you to learn linearly, such that you can slowly build mastery of one GMAT topic prior to moving on to the next. Within each topic, begin with the foundations and progress toward more advanced concepts.

For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

You can work on verbal in a similar manner. For example, let’s say you start by learning about Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to fully master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn about each Critical Reasoning question type, do focused practice so that you can track your skill in answering each type of question. If, for example, you get a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and instead focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and thereby comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you read a paragraph, consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect Reading Comprehension answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be easy to read. So, to better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects. Furthermore, the likely reason that your Sentence Correction performance has not improved is that you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, to be successful in Sentence Correction, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not just a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns clearly refer to nouns? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. Are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently to extend your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regimens, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you will then want to practice with questions that test you on skills from multiple Sentence Correction topics.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal and quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.
GMAT Club Bot