It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was us

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was us [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 04:32
None of the choices is fitting in. it is not clear who imported the moth. Whether the scientist imported it or he used it after the moth was imported remains a thorn in the flesh. Not a sound question.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7917 [0], given: 364

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was us [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 22:29
Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French scientist in an attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing insects, crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.

A. Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French scientist in an attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing insects, crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
WRONG:- "Attempt at" is not as idiomatic as "Attempt to"

B. Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, a French scientist was attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
WRONG:- Incorrect Placement of modifier make it seem that "A French scientist was imported"

C. To cross gypsy moths with adult silkworms, in attempting the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist in 1869 imported the gypsy moth into Massachusetts from Europe.
WRONG:- Awkward and wordy with repetition of "gypsy moth". "in attempting" is not elegant.

D. The gypsy moth was imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869 by a French scientist attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
CORRECT:- Perfect. Correct modifiers. correct meaning and composition.

E. In an attempt at the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist, importing the gypsy moth from Europe into Massachusetts in 1869 in order to cross gypsy moths and adult silkworms.[/quote]
WRONG:- "Attempt at" is a awkward/wrong modifier "Attempt to" is better. "Importing" is the wrong tense.

sivasanjeev wrote:
Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French scientist in an attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing insects, crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.

A. Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French scientist in an attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing insects, crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
B. Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, a French scientist was attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
C. To cross gypsy moths with adult silkworms, in attempting the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist in 1869 imported the gypsy moth into Massachusetts from Europe.
D. The gypsy moth was imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869 by a French scientist attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
E. In an attempt at the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist, importing the gypsy moth from Europe into Massachusetts in 1869 in order to cross gypsy moths and adult silkworms.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Director
Director

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 22:32

WRONG:- "Attempt at" is not as idiomatic as "Attempt to"

WRONG:- Incorrect Placement of modifier make it seem that "A French scientist was imported"

WRONG:- Awkward and wordy with repetition of "gypsy moth". "in attempting" is not elegant.

CORRECT:- Perfect. Correct modifiers. correct meaning and composition.

E. In an attempt at the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist, importing the gypsy moth from Europe into Massachusetts in 1869 in order to cross gypsy moths and adult silkworms.[/quote]
WRONG:- "Attempt at" is a awkward/wrong modifier "Attempt to" is better. "Importing" is the wrong tense.

rohansherry wrote:
Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French
scientist in an attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing insects, crossing
gypsy moths with adult silkworms.

A. Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a
French scientist in an attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing
insects, crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
B. Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, a French scientist was
attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy
moths with adult silkworms.
C. To cross gypsy moths with adult silkworms, in attempting the development of a
strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist in 1869 imported the
gypsy moth into Massachusetts from Europe.
D. The gypsy moth was imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869 by a
French scientist attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by
crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
E. In an attempt at the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a
French scientist, importing the gypsy moth from Europe into Massachusetts in
1869 in order to cross gypsy moths and adult silkworms.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 00:33
E. In an attempt at the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist, importing the gypsy moth from Europe into Massachusetts in 1869 in order to cross gypsy moths and adult silkworms.

I hate long and complicated explanations!

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 21:15

(A) Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French scientist in an attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing insects, crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.

(B) Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, a French scientist was attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.

(C) To cross gypsy moths with adult silkworms, in attempting the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist in 1869 imported the gypsy moth into Massachusetts from Europe.

(D) The gypsy moth was imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869 by a French scientist attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.

(E) In an attempt at the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist, importing the gypsy moth from Europe into Massachusetts in 1869 in order to cross gypsy moths and adult silkworms.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 232

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Erasmus '18
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9
Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was us [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 16:02

(A) Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was used by a French scientist in a attempt at developing a strong strain of silk-producing insects, crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
- No information about "who imported the Gypsy Moth"
- "Attempt at" is an incorrect idiom

(B) Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, a French scientist was attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
- A French scientist was not that imported into Massachusetts, but the Gypsy Moths was

(C) To cross gypsy moths with adult silkworms, in attempting the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist in 1869 imported the gypsy moth into Massachusetts from Europe.
- Awkward

(D) The gypsy moth was imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869 by a French scientist attempting to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects by crossing gypsy moths with adult silkworms.
- "Attempting" correctly modifies "A French scientist"
- "Attempting to" is correct idiom

(E) In an attempt at the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects, a French scientist, importing the gypsy moth from Europe into Massachusetts in 1869 in order to cross gypsy moths and adult silkworms.
- Subject "A French scientist" does not have a Verb pair

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 117

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 162

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 03:43
C is wrong according to me for the below two reasons
1. A prepositional phrase "To cross gypsy moths with adult silkworms" should touch what it is modifying, but in option C it is followed by a modifier.
2. We don't know what the modifier "in attempting the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects" is modifying. It can modify the previous phrase or the following clause. Completely wrong

Although Option D is in passive voice, it is the best choice

@Experts, please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9054 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 04:46
pikolo2510 wrote:
1. A prepositional phrase "To cross gypsy moths with adult silkworms" should touch what it is modifying, but in option C it is followed by a modifier.
2. We don't know what the modifier "in attempting the development of a strong strain of silk-producing insects" is modifying. It can modify the previous phrase or the following clause. Completely wrong

Hello pikolo2510,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

In choice C, to cross is not a prepositional phrase because prepositions can only be followed by a noun. The phrase to cross is a to verb phrase, commonly used on GMAT SC to present the purpose/intent of an action.

Choice C is incorrect for many reasons.

i. The expression in attempting the development is not idiomatic. The better expression is in an attempt to develop.
ii. Choice C seems to suggest that the French scientists brought the gypsy moth to the US with the purpose to cross it with adult silkworms. But the context of the sentence clearly conveys that the gypsy moth was brought to the US with the purpose to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was us [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 02:07
egmat wrote:
pikolo2510 wrote:

Hello pikolo2510,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

In choice C, to cross is not a prepositional phrase because prepositions can only be followed by a noun. The phrase to cross is a to verb phrase, commonly used on GMAT SC to present the purpose/intent of an action.

Choice C is incorrect for many reasons.

i. The expression in attempting the development is not idiomatic. The better expression is in an attempt to develop.
ii. Choice C seems to suggest that the French scientists brought the gypsy moth to the US with the purpose to cross it with adult silkworms. But the context of the sentence clearly conveys that the gypsy moth was brought to the US with the purpose to develop a strong strain of silk-producing insects.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for your reply Shraddha egmat

Your explanation did clear a few doubts in my head

But, I have the below two questions
1. What should follow / precede such verb phrases ? The noun / noun phrase it is modifying?
2. When we have construction such as "preposition +verbing" , do we consider them as verbing modifiers ? I have seen a GMATPrep example in which "preposition + verbing" are considered verbing modifiers.
3. Also can such "preposition +verbing" modifier modify "verb phrase"?

Please correct me if I am wrong. :-)

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 02:27
pikolo2510 wrote:

Thanks for your reply Shraddha egmat

Your explanation did clear a few doubts in my head

But, I have the below two questions
1. What should follow / precede such verb phrases ? The noun / noun phrase it is modifying?
2. When we have construction such as "preposition +verbing" , do we consider them as verbing modifiers ? I have seen a GMATPrep example in which "preposition + verbing" are considered verbing modifiers.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :-)

Hello pikolo2510,

Thank you for your query. :-)

1. Generally, a to verb phrase is preceded by either a verb or noun entity.

Essentially, the structure is either S + V + to verb OR S + V + O + to verb

What precedes to verb will depend upon the verb in the to verb and the context of the sentence.

But we really need not worry about these nuances as the context of the sentence will help us to understand whether a to verb phrase has been used correctly in a sentence or not.

2. The construction that you are talking about is not possible because prepositions are ONLY followed by noun entities. They cannot be followed by a verb-ing modifier.

Probably, what you saw was the verb-ing noun form after the preposition.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Re: Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was us   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 02:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Imported into Massachusetts from Europe in 1869, the gypsy moth was us

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap